Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,426,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Financial aid is a beautiful thing. Working on my BS in biochemistry, will it cost a lot? yes. Will i learn what i need to learn? yes. will i attempt to invent something new with the knowledge i've learned? yes. Will i have 1/2 of my courses done by the time i enter the university, yes. Will i save a tons of money doing this? hell yah.
financial aid? who gets that and qualifies for that? Not I, even when I was younger and working at hourly waged job which was why I was forced to hit the workforce instead of school. the only people i know that qualify for FA is poor people...at my private college, the tuition at that time was $12,000/year and I did not qualify for any grants or FA...so I applied for student loan and the most they would loan me since I was freshman was $7500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 5,840,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
I am highly qualified in my field, been looking for a job for over a year. Have had three interviews in nine months - no job. Mostly no response to my resumes. I am over 50 -- maybe that's the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom;
I agree! I made $17 an hour in the late 70's, working for the telephone company in Phoenix and, later, in Denver. Those were the days! The neocons think that everyone should be paid $10 an hour (in today's weak dollars,) except for the governing class, which should be able to make obscene profits on anything that they touch. It makes me sick.
Getting a job is about selling yourself. If you consider yourself "highly qualified" and yet you are unable to find a position, then either (1) you are not properly marketing yourself (resume is poorly written, targeting the wrong companies) or (2) your skills are not in demand.

I think you need to look past your dislike of the "ruling class neocons" and treat the job market as a market. If you have a marketable skill, then you can get hired. If you don't, you can complain all you want but you'll never get hired. You might try talking to a career counselor to clarify your goals, and check out websites like What Color Is Your Parachute for some excellent online resources on resume design and job hunting.

Regarding the cost of living--according to Craigslist, there are over 3000 apartments in the under-$600 range in Phoenix, including places like Scottsdale. If you are paying $1100 a month for rent and finding it hard to make ends meet, maybe you could save $500 a month by moving, then use that money to better yourself through education or just put it aside for a rainy day.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,663,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
financial aid? who gets that and qualifies for that? Not I, even when I was younger and working at hourly waged job which was why I was forced to hit the workforce instead of school. the only people i know that qualify for FA is poor people...at my private college, the tuition at that time was $12,000/year and I did not qualify for any grants or FA...so I applied for student loan and the most they would loan me since I was freshman was $7500.
You don't qualify for financial aid if you go to school less than 6 credit hours. I work 40 hrs a week @ 13.50/hr and queued up 12 credit hours at school; i was able to qualify for financial aid. It pays for schooling and a little extra for cost of living.

I don't consider myself poor because i can buy food, gas, go to work, go to school, and even go out on the weekends to a movie.

If being poor is unable to afford a big expensive house, buy fancy cars, or fly to exotic places, then i will always be poor; even after my BS in biochem.

I'm not trolling on you, i'm only sharing my experience.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,319,214 times
IMHO:

Good Resume = Initial call + phone interview
Good phone interview + good candidate = in-person interview
Good candidate + good interview = getting the job.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,143,523 times
financial aid was a drop in the bucket compared to my educational costs and my younger brother just went through the same deal when he was trying to go independent

they factor in your parents income to all this stuff ........ I had good grades, got into a good school, but didn't qualify for a good aid package (I did get some scholarships and other stuff on the side though) .......... being from a rural town in upstate NY with parents who work hard, but aren't exactly making a wage that transfers to big education i'm not sure who qualifies for these packages

Old 07-31-2008, 04:48 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,017,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
IMHO:

Good Resume = Initial call + phone interview
Good phone interview + good candidate = in-person interview
Good candidate + good interview = getting the job.

My old boss used to give me a stack of resumes to look through. You wouldn't believe the typos.

Hints to prospective employees: PROOFREAD your resume.

Tailor it to meet the job requirements. If the job requires 5 years experience in a certain area, make sure your resume reflects that.

Keep it to one page. Let them know what you've been doing LATELY. Companies that do background checks will find out what you did ten years ago anyway.

Nobody cares that you raise cockatiels or chinchillas. Omit that stuff.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,319,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
My old boss used to give me a stack of resumes to look through. You wouldn't believe the typos.

Hints to prospective employees: PROOFREAD your resume.

Tailor it to meet the job requirements. If the job requires 5 years experience in a certain area, make sure your resume reflects that.

Keep it to one page. Let them know what you've been doing LATELY. Companies that do background checks will find out what you did ten years ago anyway.
Very good points. I have a list of these hints for job seekers. It is a bit unrelated to the thread but if you guys think it might be worth it then I will post the list or at least a link to it.

Quote:
Nobody cares that you raise cockatiels or chinchillas. Omit that stuff.
What if the guy is applying for a job at a zoo or something?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM

799 posts, read 2,163,047 times
I will help you write your resume. You might have a few different versions for different arenas you are applying for.
One way to think about writing a resume is....you are trying to strike up a mutual business deal with someone. You both have needs that need to be met. So, you tell them what you can do.
Young people out of school do this "oh my gosh they called me" thing and get all submissive and fear blowing an interview. There is a fine line between being assertive and annoying, but I find I always advocate for myself without coming off as pompous.
I never put an "Objective" on my resume. If you are targeting or have targeted a specific realm in your profession, by all means list it.
But think about reading your draft as an employer...does this resume tell you what you'd like to know about this prospective candidate?
I keep all personal information off, no hobbies, unless they directly relate to the job...say you're applying for a job as an astronomist and you belong to an astronomy club...you get the picture.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 AM

919 posts, read 3,384,282 times
Jobs are found via resumes and cover letters, if yours happens to stand out among the masses.

Careers and opportunites are found via networking and professional associations and relationships formed before you leave the current gig.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:20 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,426,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
You don't qualify for financial aid if you go to school less than 6 credit hours. I work 40 hrs a week @ 13.50/hr and queued up 12 credit hours at school; i was able to qualify for financial aid. It pays for schooling and a little extra for cost of living.

I don't consider myself poor because i can buy food, gas, go to work, go to school, and even go out on the weekends to a movie.

If being poor is unable to afford a big expensive house, buy fancy cars, or fly to exotic places, then i will always be poor; even after my BS in biochem.

I'm not trolling on you, i'm only sharing my experience.
Bless your heart! I have nothing but love and respect for ya buddy if you can live on 13.50 on hour....no need to apologize, even if you were trolling! I just like to zinger you about the winger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area