Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm living in Mesa with a friend temporarly until I get my own place. I found a couple of decent apartments for a reasonable price by Southern Ave and Longmore right across the street from the Fiesta Mall. I'm about ready to sign a lease any day now. I read the story about the Metrocenter and considering that the Fiesta Mall is another old mall, is the mall and the area around it safe? Meaning, am I going to get broken into and robbed living there? I work in Gilbert but I don't want to live there. I like how the fiesta mall location has a lot of conveniences located right there and it's centrally located between where I work and where I go for fun (Tempe and Scottsdale, heheh). What do you all think?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
Hi, I'm living in Mesa with a friend temporarly until I get my own place. I found a couple of decent apartments for a reasonable price by Southern Ave and Longmore right across the street from the Fiesta Mall. I'm about ready to sign a lease any day now. I read the story about the Metrocenter and considering that the Fiesta Mall is another old mall, is the mall and the area around it safe? Meaning, am I going to get broken into and robbed living there? I work in Gilbert but I don't want to live there. I like how the fiesta mall location has a lot of conveniences located right there and it's centrally located between where I work and where I go for fun (Tempe and Scottsdale, heheh). What do you all think?
Robbed no, murdered yes. There was a murder and an attempted murder at the mall just a couple weeks ago.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Robbed no, murdered yes. There was a murder and an attempted murder at the mall just a couple weeks ago.
They arrested the man. He was a mental case and the attacks were race related.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Well, I s'pose Fiesta Mall is out of the question.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:43 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times
I doubt you'll get robbed or broken into.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM

79 posts, read 387,645 times
Malls will always attract criminals who do not live in the area, even the nicest and finest malls will do so. However, the area around Fiesta Mall is not one where I would want to live or spend any time.

The problem in the Valley is that what appears to be "reasonable" or even "cheap" in connection with real estate almost always is a sign for "undesirable neighborhood." This is especially true for apartment complexes.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm going to have to think about this one long and hard.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:

To answer the thread question.......a simple No in my opinion.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 PM

216 posts, read 589,534 times
Quote:
A couple of months ago, while out there and looking for a condo we stopped ansd asked a police officer, who was just parked near there, if it was a good place to live. She said, "No, too much crime, look at Scottsdale, Gilbert, or Chandler". Just thought I'd let you know what she said.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:54 AM

79 posts, read 387,645 times
This is one of the best house-hunting tactics you can do. A couple of years ago, when I bought my first (vacation) home in Phoenix, I was looking at a nice neighborhood in Phoenix. It looked quiet, nice, etc. By chance a patrol car came by, I stopped the officer and asked him if he would move into this area. He looked at me and said: "You could not pay me enough for moving here. Never in my dreams!"

He told me that like many areas in Phoenix that don't appear like it, this area was a hotbed of drug problems. Appearances can be very deceiving.

I did the same thing when I bought my current home in Gilbert. I happened to come a cross a cop securing an accident site near my home and asked him the same question. His answer: "I have never had a bad experience in this area in all my years with Gilbert PD." That helped a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area