U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,543,195 times
Default Thought about Phoenix for a while

Hey everyone. I posted in the Florida forum about posibly relocating to the Tampa area, but after much thought, consideration, etc, it wouldn't seem like a good idea. Wages are low and rent is high, from what I heard. I've read plenty of positives and plenty of negatives, but I think the negatives are keeping me away, so I turned my focus to Phoenix area once again.

I have wanted to live in AZ for a while now. I mean, after being told about it, I applied to ASU (and got accepted), but thought against it because tuition would be way too high for someone from MN.

I am reading a lot of positive stuff about the Phoenix area. It's a "new" and growing metropolitan area. The Twin Cities area here in MN seems to have frozen (no pun intended! haha!) and there doesn't seem like there is much opportunity here anymore. As well as, I cannot stand the weather anymore.

I'm 19 and I live in Northern MN. My best friend's dad lives in the Phoenix area, Avondale I think it is? So I'd know someone down there at least.

If I go down there, I'd plan on going next summer, enough time for me to get my associate's degree, and get some classes down. I want to start a business eventually. (Yes, I have a good plan on what to do)

Would it be realistic to be able to live alone in the Phoenix area and survive comfortably?
Can I get wages of about $10 an hour or over starting?
Is it possible to get around on a bike or motorcycle or something around there? I am really sick of driving to work and back and gas prices and whatnot.
Any comments?

[And yes, I definitely know what the weather is like down there. I'm prepared for it. In fact, I'm going there in October to visit, and another time after that, just to make sure, but I am almost positive this is what I want.]

(I may add more stuff later on to this thread, because I'm having a mind-blank right now and I cannot think of what else I wanted to add)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM

8,420 posts, read 10,428,776 times
I think In and Out pays almost $10 an hour and I think my daughter's second job at Lowe's did pay that much. What are your skills?

We almost moved to FL in lieu of AZ, and boy are we glad we came here instead of FL.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I think In and Out pays almost $10 an hour and I think my daughter's second job at Lowe's did pay that much. What are your skills?

We almost moved to FL in lieu of AZ, and boy are we glad we came here instead of FL.
I wouldn't want to do any type of restaurant job ever again. I worked at Old Chicago for 8 months as a dishwasher, and I saw how it is in that type of business. I'm sure fast food would be even more of the same.

A place like Lowe's would even suit me well. I have worked at Northern Tool and Equipment for over a year now. I've done a little bit of everything in the store. Worked in the warehouse, unloaded trucks, stocked shelves, set up endcaps, cashiered (which is what I do most of the time now). I even got "promoted" to being a cahier trainer. Pay is better, and I guess it can add to my resume.

I've worked mostly in retail. I've worked ever since I was 16 (almost 17), and the places I worked at was: Sears, Pac Sun, Old Chicago, and Northern Tool. So I got a bit of experience.

I mean, what I really want is to open up a business or two eventually. I really have some great ideas set up in my head that I KNOW would be successful. But I'd need a job in the meantime while I execute those plans.

Would people be able to also tell me about some pro's and con's of the area? I have read several threads regarding Phoenix, but I'd like other peoples' opinions as well!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM

190 posts, read 368,754 times
I don't know if this means much but I've noticed the transplants who are the happiest in AZ tend to come from the upper midwest like MN, Wisc., Illinois and Michigan. They are just glad to get out of the cold even at the expense of great heat and they are down-to-earth and laidback enough to appreciate what we have to offer. They aren't the ones who incessantly complain that we lack a downtown or have too many strip malls. I think you will like Phoenix.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM

8,420 posts, read 10,428,776 times
You will not be living a lifestyle of the rich and famous on $10 an hour. You might be able to rent a room, but an apartment might be tight, especially in a decent area. Check Craigs list for rooms and locations. You will want to be very close to where you think you might be working. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You will not be living a lifestyle of the rich and famous on $10 an hour. You might be able to rent a room, but an apartment might be tight, especially in a decent area. Check Craigs list for rooms and locations. You will want to be very close to where you think you might be working. Good luck.
I know $10 an hour isn't anything really, but I'd want something like that for at least a few months until I got accquainted with the area and stuff. I'm planning on getting at least an associate's degree, then continuing my education once I arrive there and gain residency. Is an associates degree good for anything these days? I'm sure it would be able to give me a little bit of an advantage?
Mainly I am going to college for classes on how to run a business.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM

16,617 posts, read 19,612,129 times
I picked up on your idea of training to run a business. I can tell you this about Phoenix. I know a lot of people from caterers to land developers who came here with nothing, found an opportunity and worked their tails off to exploit it. They made a lot of money and live really well despite having no degree or training. The growth and limited regulatory environment make this a very good place for people who want to take risks and work really hard.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I picked up on your idea of training to run a business. I can tell you this about Phoenix. I know a lot of people from caterers to land developers who came here with nothing, found an opportunity and worked their tails off to exploit it. They made a lot of money and live really well despite having no degree or training. The growth and limited regulatory environment make this a very good place for people who want to take risks and work really hard.
That's just what I was hoping to hear. I feel that a growing metro area, and a place that is relatively "new" is prime for opening a business.

At some places, it really sucked to work hard...mainly because I didn't get respected for the work I did. I know if I owned my own business, I wouldn't mind working really hard, because it's mine.

I feel that I really don't have much to lose if I go there and give it a try. Well, except for a lot of money, possibly. But I've become too comfortable on relying on my parents for things. Part of me feels I need to see the real world for what it is.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:48 AM

641 posts, read 1,469,429 times
You can get a warehouse job at target starting wage is about $13.50 an hr.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:12 PM

I was just thinking about the cost of utilities and stuff, and I saw that electricity can be kinda expensive due to the AC. Would it be possible to not have to spend as much on AC if you are to have dark curtains over your windows in the summertime?

Also, I'm really serious on living in AZ, so are there any more things I may need to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area