U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM

27,595 posts, read 21,316,301 times
Default was at parkland, too

Yeah...that what was got me about St Joe's in Phoenix. More action in 2 months than I saw at Parkland or at Grady in Atlanta.

I'm not saying it wasn't bad at Parkland or Grady. Plenty of knife and gun show there.

I was just shocked at the difference in sheer volume between the two trauma services and the census. I personally placed over 30 chest tubes in 2 months in Phoenix, and I was only on q3 call. And that was in Feb/March - not even peak trauma season. We routinely admitted over 20 people a day to our service, and our trauma ICU census was often over 30 at any one time (with even more people on the floor and step-downs). Add to that the fact that there are supposedly 5 level one trauma centers in Phoenix...so I know we weren't doing all the business.

Just b/c you are not aware of something, btw, does not mean someone is lying. There are several residency programs in which you have to go to Phoenix to do trauma. Surgical and EM residencies.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM

463 posts, read 833,952 times
um; why did this thread stop? its wonderful!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:12 AM

681 posts, read 960,476 times
everyone, including ppl at companies DH is talking to, and a couple ppl we know out here, allll say Chandler...

i almost don't wanna move there as some form of rebellion lol like, there must be other great areas besides Chaaaandleeeeer...

but we're gonna check it out lol must be pretty nice

Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 AM

30 posts, read 69,210 times
I lived there for 14 years and would go back at the drop of a hat. I've been living in Louisville area ( yuck ) with UPS and traveled all over. Phoenix metro area is Utopia compared to alot of places we've visited especially in your twenties! No one lives downtown. Who does that? But if you're talking pollution look at SEVERAL other cities stats.
Immigration & hispanic issues. I must've missed that in over a decade. Try LA or El Paso for a real taste of that. Besides, what few hispanics were around were no different than anybody else so why worry?
Jobs were all over.
It's not cheap there but trust me, compared to New England, Portland, Or. etc. It's VERY livable.
Social scene is terrific! LOVE me some Zonies!
Heat? Try sitting in 90 degrees and 80% humidity with swarms of gnats or mosquitoes and 100 of dry heat looks REAL GOOD! ( and no bugs )
It's a shopping & dining mecca!
I can't begin to list the entertainment!
Traffic? Again, any big city has gridlock HOWEVER ... the metro area's ( other than downtown ) was planned perfectly and streets run North/South & East/West ONLY! Easy to find alternate routes. Construction's 365 days a year & 24/7 to keep up the flow.
My car's suffered ice, pothole's, frozen locks, high winds, salt, ash you name it elsewhere. Dust is doable.
Crack your windows & park in shade if you can. Big deal.
Where to live? I lived in Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Glendale, Chandler & Ahwatukee. It's all nice! Tempe's busy, Mesa's older ( not horrid ), Chandler rocks, Ahwat is georgous & a bit costly but doable, etc. Just look around.
Overall it's a fantasitic place to live and the only folks I've encountered who don't like it aren't from the desert and preferred where they lived prior or had never lived anywhere else to make comparisons. They'd probably change their tune quickly if they had.
Good luck and DO ENJOY!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 PM

19 posts, read 21,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat14 View Post
I lived there for 14 years and would go back at the drop of a hat. I've been living in Louisville area ( yuck ) with UPS and traveled all over. Phoenix metro area is Utopia compared to alot of places we've visited especially in your twenties! No one lives downtown. Who does that? But if you're talking pollution look at SEVERAL other cities stats.
Immigration & hispanic issues. I must've missed that in over a decade. Try LA or El Paso for a real taste of that. Besides, what few hispanics were around were no different than anybody else so why worry?
Jobs were all over.
It's not cheap there but trust me, compared to New England, Portland, Or. etc. It's VERY livable.
Social scene is terrific! LOVE me some Zonies!
Heat? Try sitting in 90 degrees and 80% humidity with swarms of gnats or mosquitoes and 100 of dry heat looks REAL GOOD! ( and no bugs )
It's a shopping & dining mecca!
I can't begin to list the entertainment!
Traffic? Again, any big city has gridlock HOWEVER ... the metro area's ( other than downtown ) was planned perfectly and streets run North/South & East/West ONLY! Easy to find alternate routes. Construction's 365 days a year & 24/7 to keep up the flow.
My car's suffered ice, pothole's, frozen locks, high winds, salt, ash you name it elsewhere. Dust is doable.
Crack your windows & park in shade if you can. Big deal.
Where to live? I lived in Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Glendale, Chandler & Ahwatukee. It's all nice! Tempe's busy, Mesa's older ( not horrid ), Chandler rocks, Ahwat is georgous & a bit costly but doable, etc. Just look around.
Overall it's a fantasitic place to live and the only folks I've encountered who don't like it aren't from the desert and preferred where they lived prior or had never lived anywhere else to make comparisons. They'd probably change their tune quickly if they had.
Good luck and DO ENJOY!
Love your post. Thanks for pointing out some "pros" in this pros and cons thread and bringing it back on topic that OP posted.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM

31 posts, read 24,775 times
Con: Step outside, it is currently 101 F on September 25th. I have lived here my entire life, and I still do not enjoy this heat.

When reading through this forums, I frequently see people state something like "...90 degress and 80 percent humidity" when talking about the East. How often are these two numbers this high simultaneoulsy. In the morning, the humidity will be higher and the temperatures will be lower. During the afternoon, the temperature will increase, while the humidity will decrease. I think it's akin to saying Phoenix is always 120 degrees during the summer, which is extremely unlikely.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,200,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistynights View Post
Con: Step outside, it is currently 101 F on September 25th. I have lived here my entire life, and I still do not enjoy this heat.

When reading through this forums, I frequently see people state something like "...90 degress and 80 percent humidity" when talking about the East. How often are these two numbers this high simultaneoulsy. In the morning, the humidity will be higher and the temperatures will be lower. During the afternoon, the temperature will increase, while the humidity will decrease. I think it's akin to saying Phoenix is always 120 degrees during the summer, which is extremely unlikely.
Add in the fact that most of back east has putrid winters to go alongside their humid summers----------no thank you. One need not shovel heat

This coming from a wash DC native..........myself.

My single biggest gripe (which is probably adding to the heat island effect as well) is that the Phx area is too damn big.............I doubt I will be here much longer for that reason. The High Desert is lookin' better and better.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:36 PM

55 posts, read 75,737 times
I have been here a year and the best part is probably the heat. The worst part for me, coming from CA, are the very low wages; depending on what your occupation is, it can be tough to find a decent job. If you're in the medical field, you probably won't probably have a problem. Someone else mentioned that if you're looking for entertainment or meeting people, it can be tough as well. The sports venues are spread out and there isn't a lot of pub crawls out here like in SF, DC, Seattle, ect.....

Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,017 times
Default Thinking of moving to phoenix

HEllo all..After 4 years of travel in the AND1 tour I returned home to NYC to realize I hated it. So I moved to South Beach, but it wasn't as cool as I anticipated. The other city I considered livivng in is Phoenix. I would live downtown probably in the Camden or Summit.?

Tell me all about downtown; nightlife, jobs, girls etc... I'm in my 20's I love basketball girls and video games is this the place for me ? I hate cold weather !!! And I've been to Phoenix during the summer so I know what to expect ....

Old 11-28-2008, 11:41 AM

20 posts, read 24,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arennevans View Post
HEllo all..After 4 years of travel in the AND1 tour I returned home to NYC to realize I hated it. So I moved to South Beach, but it wasn't as cool as I anticipated. The other city I considered livivng in is Phoenix. I would live downtown probably in the Camden or Summit.?

Tell me all about downtown; nightlife, jobs, girls etc... I'm in my 20's I love basketball girls and video games is this the place for me ? I hate cold weather !!! And I've been to Phoenix during the summer so I know what to expect ....
Hey Arennevans,
Im 23 and am graduating from UW-Madison next semester (May 2009) and I got a sales job in Phoenix for next year. Im excited and will be moving down to Phoenix in June! I'm also big into sports, love playin ball, and looking for a legit night life.

I have been looking over these forums, I've also been talking to friends that have gone to ASU or are from Phoenix, friends that are graduating college from the midwest and moving down to Phoenix, as well as people that live there now.

I also think central Phoenix would be really cool. I have talked to lots of people that said central PHX is up and coming and it is right on the light rail. I would like the idea of being able to walk to Suns and Diamondbacks games, Arizona Center, and to also live right downtown, go out, and enjoy it without having to drive. Also, the light rail could take us anywhere (ASU, Tempe, Mesa, & north west). I also would like the the possibility of living in a high rise and getting the inner city urban living feel that you can get in Chicago, Boston, NY..etc. I like your idea of living in Summit or a high rise.

When when would you be moving down there?
When I move down I think living with a roommate would be much more enjoyable than living alone. It'd be a lot cheaper. W/o a roommate a high rise is not affordable (1200+ 1br, but 1500 is realistic for a 2br).

I would be looking to spend max 800/mo, hopefully getting a decent deal on a place now that the housing market is weak. I think there are 2br condos in high rises that could be rented downtown with the weak housing market for 1500.

This site has a lot of the downtown high rises and apartments:
Downtown Phoenix Condos - Phoenix Lofts (http://www.azcondofinder.com/downtown_phoenix_condos.html - broken link)

Also, here is the light rail info:
Valley Metro | Welcome (http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/ - broken link)

Let me know what you're thinkin bro. It'd be sick to live in Summit or 44 Monroe as a mid 20 M looking to live it up.

Yo, check this video of 44 Monroe (it's long and lil over the top, but you get the feel for the size, location in the, and the set up)
Valley Metro | Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area