U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
 
6 posts, read 30,780 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We're getting ready to relocate to Phoenix. I read a thread where someone said that it wasn't very integrated? Can someone explain that? I'm Black and currently live in a very large diverse city, neighborhood. I fear that I'm moving to a place where I may not feel comfortable.
1. To put is bluntly, are there many black people in Phoenix or surrounding surburbs? Is it a friendly place, regardless of race?
2. Also, what is there to do in the deseart? What does Phoenix have to offer in regards to entertainment (i.e. shows, plays, concerts).
3. Are there good neighborhoods that are culturely diverse for both adults and children?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM
 
3,632 posts, read 13,648,448 times
Reputation: 1253
I think we are fairly integrated, but more by income and not race. We don't have as many blacks as some other cities but we do have a bunch. You should be just fine really.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 PM
 
401 posts, read 2,152,767 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroustee View Post
We're getting ready to relocate to Phoenix. I read a thread where someone said that it wasn't very integrated? Can someone explain that? I'm Black and currently live in a very large diverse city, neighborhood. I fear that I'm moving to a place where I may not feel comfortable.
1. To put is bluntly, are there many black people in Phoenix or surrounding surburbs? Is it a friendly place, regardless of race?
2. Also, what is there to do in the deseart? What does Phoenix have to offer in regards to entertainment (i.e. shows, plays, concerts).
3. Are there good neighborhoods that are culturely diverse for both adults and children?
Maricopa County makes up the city of Phoenix and most of the surrounding suburbs. African-Americans only make up 3.7 percent of the population. As far as being friendly regardless of race, another African-American on the board who lives in Phoenix state that the only problems he has had is with hispanics not being friendly and being somewhat rude. Other than that, I dont think you will have any problems. Neighborhoods that are culturally diverse is something that Phoenix is still working on. For being such a large city, the diversity lacks. Just my opinion...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
 
190 posts, read 477,808 times
Reputation: 61
1. Relative to other cities this size, there are hardly any black people in Phoenix. I have friends that are black and they joke about how few black people there are here. They are pretty happy here from what I can tell. There are a lot of Hispanics and Asians. That being said, I do see a lot of mixed Black and White couples in Phoenix whereas I don't see that in other cities with large Black populations. I know in Texas and other areas, mixed race couples are seen as being taboo but it's not even an issue in Phoenix.

2. Great dining, nightlife, golf, rock climbing, hiking, shopping, snowskiing, great vacation spots that are within driving distance all around us (LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Sedona, Rocky Point). The quality of all of these aspects are high in Phoenix. For example, Oklahoma City and Kansas City have restaurants and shopping as well but you are not going to find as many high end restaurants and stores in those areas when compared to Phoenix.

3. I would say the entire valley is pretty racially tolerant and diverse with the exception of east Mesa which can be a little redneck.

Last edited by azriverfan; 06-02-2008 at 07:44 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 PM
 
Location: NW Phoenix
477 posts, read 1,332,007 times
Reputation: 148
I see more and more black folks moving to my side of town(N. Phoenix), which to me is very pleasing. My kids are always in the minority at school, with only a handful of black or interracial kids in the school. That is fine with me but I think for their sake it's nice to see a few more every year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 PM
 
6 posts, read 30,780 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Maricopa County makes up the city of Phoenix and most of the surrounding suburbs. African-Americans only make up 3.7 percent of the population. As far as being friendly regardless of race, another African-American on the board who lives in Phoenix state that the only problems he has had is with hispanics not being friendly and being somewhat rude. Other than that, I dont think you will have any problems. Neighborhoods that are culturally diverse is something that Phoenix is still working on. For being such a large city, the diversity lacks. Just my opinion...
Thanks scottie - i appreciate the feedback and honesty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
 
6 posts, read 30,780 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
1. Relative to other cities this size, there are hardly any black people in Phoenix. I have friends that are black and they joke about how few black people there are here. They are pretty happy here from what I can tell. There are a lot of Hispanics and Asians. That being said, I do see a lot of mixed Black and White couples in Phoenix whereas I don't see that in other cities with large Black populations. I know in Texas and other areas, mixed race couples are seen as being taboo but it's not even an issue in Phoenix.

2. Great dining, nightlife, golf, rock climbing, hiking, shopping, snowskiing, great vacation spots that are within driving distance all around us (LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Sedona, Rocky Point). The quality of all of these aspects are high in Phoenix. For example, Oklahoma City and Kansas City have restaurants and shopping as well but you are not going to find as many high end restaurants and stores in those areas when compared to Phoenix.

3. I would say the entire valley is pretty racially tolerant and diverse with the exception of east Mesa which can be a little redneck.
Appreciate the feedback. When we went out to visit I did like the amount of dining options available. It will be a big adjustment coming from the eastcoast. I'm hoping we can find a place to be comfortable in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
 
6 posts, read 30,780 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
I see more and more black folks moving to my side of town(N. Phoenix), which to me is very pleasing. My kids are always in the minority at school, with only a handful of black or interracial kids in the school. That is fine with me but I think for their sake it's nice to see a few more every year.

Are their nice homes/neighborhoods in N Phoenix that's family oriented? I worry about the school thing as well but I'm more concerned with them getting a good education.

What about hair salon's?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 8,080,159 times
Reputation: 889
I have to agree with the inter-racial couples thing about Phoenix. Not only white and black, but white/hispanic, black/hispanic are very common in this city. In my family alone there are...14 I believe. Mostly cousins but my brother is engaged to someone white (she is of Irish background) and they have a son. I didn't think anything of it until a friend from NY (of ALL places) pointed out the inter-racial couples in the Phoenix area. I have 6 close friends that are in a white/black relationship and so many more that are hispanic/white and I didn't give it any thought until it was pointed out and as soon as it was pointed out again in this thread. They all have told me they NEVER have encountered any problems and even the older Arizona natives pay little mind (as they tend to be Goldwater Republicans anyhow).

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-03-2008 at 01:30 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
 
190 posts, read 477,808 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I have to agree with the inter-racial couples thing about Phoenix. Not only white and black, but white/hispanic, black/hispanic are very common in this city. In my family alone there are...14 I believe. Mostly cousins but my brother is engaged to someone white (she is of Irish background) and they have a son. I didn't think anything of it until a friend from NY (of ALL places) pointed out the inter-racial couples in the Phoenix area. I have 6 close friends that are in a white/black relationship and so many more that are hispanic/white and I didn't give it any thought until it was pointed out and as soon as it was pointed out again in this thread. They all have told me they NEVER have encountered any problems and even the older Arizona natives pay little mind (as they tend to be Goldwater Republicans anyhow).
I remember I was in a club in Atlanta and there were some black guys with some attractive white girls and the guys I were with pointed out to them and said "Oh, that's so wrong. I'm not a racist, but that's just not right." These were "educated" people as well and I was with a large group of people that I loosely knew and no one aside from myself was shocked by that comment. It was as if that attitude was normal there. They didn't even consider that comment to be racist. I I was disgusted. I see mixed couples in clubs in Scottsdale etc and it's never even an issue or something I even actively think about. Everyone talks about Atlanta having a lot of blacks and that it's racially friendly or whatever but I realized that while they might have a large black population, they are really segregated whereas as Phoenix as a smaller black population but they are socially integrated.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top