U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 PM

23 posts, read 133,338 times

Advertisements

I use a carbon filter in my shower made by a company called Aquasana. It has majorly reduced my water hardeness as I no longer have any metal stains on the tub. No salt or chemicals needed, just hook the filter up to the showerhead. Most importantly it filters all the chlorine out of the water. I believe they make a whole house unit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:31 PM

534 posts, read 1,808,315 times
Also, check the method of regeneration. This means, is the water softener set to regenerate (clean out) with a fixed timer or a usage meter? A fixed timer is set to regenerate ever X amount of days (whether you used the system or not), where as a usage meter is set to regenerate ever X amount of gallons used. Most people will say a usage meter is better, but it also costs a little more.

With a usage meter, the size of the system does matter. Most systems are sold on a grain capacity/usage basis. There is a rough formula you can use, which is: # of people in your house X amount of water used on average per day/per person X hardness of water. For example, if you have 4 people in your house, and each person uses roughly 75 gallons per day, and your water test shows you have a hardness level of 20 (not uncommon for Arizona!), you need a system that can handle 6000 grain/day. Now take the 6000 g/day and multiply it by 7 days to get 42k g/week (your system should regenerate roughly every 7-10 days). In this case, you would want a system that is at least 42k grain capacity. *These example numbers may be exaggerated and will vary based on your usage, but the formula is right.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:52 PM

17,628 posts, read 21,033,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptndavis View Post
I use a carbon filter in my shower made by a company called Aquasana. It has majorly reduced my water hardeness as I no longer have any metal stains on the tub. No salt or chemicals needed, just hook the filter up to the showerhead. Most importantly it filters all the chlorine out of the water. I believe they make a whole house unit as well.
A carbon filter will not remove hardness. "Hardness" is the result of dissolved cations (primarily calcium around here) and, in home water systems, can be exchanged as in a conventional softener or removed by a membrane as in reverse osmosis. You can't filter them out. Carbon filters are used primarily to remove organic constituents and harmful byproducts of chlorination.

Rust stains are caused when ferrous compounds are oxidized to ferric compounds (rust) in the presence of oxygen (exposure to air). Water supplies here are usually low in ferrous compounds and rust is not a major issue. Water high in iron is hard on water softeners as well though a softener is effective in removing small amounts.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 06-04-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area