U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM
 
Location: AZ
19,646 posts, read 51,198,428 times
Reputation: 8931

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
That's funny, I agree with you. I know every time I go up to the Chicago burbs I will see MAYBE one woman with implants. I found it so strange that no one had them up there. They're everywhere out here. I'm sure one reason is because we have the weather to show them off more.
You havent been to the right towns then! Of course youll see them more in the summer, but trust me, theyre everywhere. I swear, everytime I went to the pool in Naperville there were implants everywhere! The worst set I saw was on some chick at the Old Orchard mall, must have been like 44 FF's! LOL My wife about busted her gut from laughter. Youll see alot of them at the Cubs games too, mainly out in the bleachers. Then there is the OakBrook Terrace mall, TONS of fake boobies all over the place. Its rediculous!

As for AZ women with implants? I find them quite nasty. Theyre so tan that they look fake. Then the makeup is just horrid, as are the clothes--theres just no taste at all in most I see. Plus, in a few years they end up looking like Alice Cooper anyways, so whats the big deal? LMBO!!!! Ugh! Keep em! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 AM
 
2,011 posts, read 3,299,779 times
Reputation: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
That's funny, I agree with you. I know every time I go up to the Chicago burbs I will see MAYBE one woman with implants. I found it so strange that no one had them up there. They're everywhere out here. I'm sure one reason is because we have the weather to show them off more.
Maybe it WAS that way, or at least you perceived it to be that way, but I live in a small town in NE OH; trust me, there are plenty of breast implants and tummy tucks and other cosmetic surgery around. In my opinion, it is really more of the signs of our time, which is the endless quest for perceived beauty and anti-aging. Many of the things that might have started out west initially, have permeated their way into all of America. I'm not saying that it is good or bad, but it just is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
17,573 posts, read 20,884,023 times
Reputation: 9208
It's been interesting, but we're getting a little off topic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2007, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Buffalo
26 posts, read 79,688 times
Reputation: 18
Laveen sounds like it may be a good place for you. It is rural. It is growing and many businesses are coming to the area. We currently live in Laveen and love it. It is south of Phoenix. The drive to Mesa would be about 20 minutes. It is worth the commute. You have great views of the city and mountains. Plus you can get a house on an acre lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2007, 08:43 PM
 
9 posts, read 39,423 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwyo View Post
Laveen sounds like it may be a good place for you. It is rural. It is growing and many businesses are coming to the area. We currently live in Laveen and love it. It is south of Phoenix. The drive to Mesa would be about 20 minutes. It is worth the commute. You have great views of the city and mountains. Plus you can get a house on an acre lot.
You couldn't drive from Laveen to Mesa in 20 minutes on a slow Sunday afternoon, much less at rush hour. Commutting from one side of the valley to the other is crazy if you have to do it at rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2007, 09:42 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,070 times
Reputation: 10
Default Move to Mesa? No.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Reasons not to choose Mesa:

They are running out of water.

Your car will melt in the summer if it is not in a garage.

The entire valley is polluted due to congestion and may or may not be good for your allergies.

You will develop road rage if you attempt to drive.

It is only 18 miles from Phoenix. That's too close. There is a sign posted that will tell you when you leave Phoenix and enter Mesa, just so you know.

The valley is sinking due to the drained aquafer.

Snakes and scorpions abound but they hide from the heat in holes and under rocks. Don't worry, they prefer the desert more than someone's back yard.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

It can be compared to Atlanta, but no where else in Georgia.


Reasons to go there:

Good economy
Nice winters
Weekends are also nice because everybody leaves to go north to Flagstaff.


Flagstaff is not recomended as most of the residents are from Phoenix or southern California and they don't like new-commers (or tourtists). Go figure.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2007, 09:52 PM
 
1,272 posts, read 3,619,809 times
Reputation: 729
Hi, you may want to check out far east mesa in the red mountain/las sendas area. Very nice and a quick 5 min trip to boeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2007, 11:21 AM
 
27 posts, read 125,890 times
Reputation: 17
Default Move From the East Coast? Don't Do It!!

I moved from Schenectady, New York to Arizona almost ten years ago. I have tried and tried to like it here, but just can't. The one positive? Since it is a basically new area of the country, so much is new and bright and clean. The problems? People are very shallow here. Most people come here to try to be a big deal because they cannnot afford to be elsewhere. They buy big houses and big SUV's that they can hardly afford because that makes them feel oh so important. Material things are very important here. Older women wearing clothes and hair styles meant for women much younger and women starving themselves and working out obsessively to be stick thin. Plastic surgery abounds. Half the time you don't know where to look with the big balloon boobies bouncing around. Designer this and designer that. It all sells really big in AZ.

The climate is tough if you are from the east coast. Although the humidity on the east coast can be brutal, it is intermittent. The heat in AZ is brutal and it is constant day in and day out. The sun is absolutely brutal too. You expect to be spending hours in your pool, but the sun is just too strong. It is hot from April through October. Even November and December can be warm. January and February can be chilly. In outlying areas, there will even be frost at night.

All of my family has developed allergies/respiratory issues since moving here. It is just so dusty and dirty.

It is not Los Angeles, but the commuting is absolutely terrible and often times deadly. In the little city of Mariocpa alone, there has been several car accidents and many of them fatal. Three of them occured right at the entrance to our development. People drive absolutely crazy here. Manners or kindness? For the most part, forget it. New Yorkers seem very warm and mannerly compared to people here.

Lastly, if you are white, you will be a minority unless you can afford to live in a very expensive community. There are many, many Hispanics here. Spanish is everywhere. My daughter goes to a public middle school here and she is a minority group. The Hispanic kids, for the most part, are prejudiced against HER. Maricopa also has a gang problem in their schools. The middle school has gang bangers in training. God knows what is in the high schools.

We are getting back east the minute my husband's job offers a transfer. Make sure you can fit in before you come out here. Maybe Flagstaff is different. It is very small town. Expensive to buy a home, though, but maybe not compared to Conn.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM
 
1,486 posts, read 3,050,111 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveNY629 View Post
I moved from Schenectady, New York to Arizona almost ten years ago. I have tried and tried to like it here, but just can't. The one positive? Since it is a basically new area of the country, so much is new and bright and clean. The problems? People are very shallow here. Most people come here to try to be a big deal because they cannnot afford to be elsewhere. They buy big houses and big SUV's that they can hardly afford because that makes them feel oh so important. Material things are very important here. Older women wearing clothes and hair styles meant for women much younger and women starving themselves and working out obsessively to be stick thin. Plastic surgery abounds. Half the time you don't know where to look with the big balloon boobies bouncing around. Designer this and designer that. It all sells really big in AZ.

The climate is tough if you are from the east coast. Although the humidity on the east coast can be brutal, it is intermittent. The heat in AZ is brutal and it is constant day in and day out. The sun is absolutely brutal too. You expect to be spending hours in your pool, but the sun is just too strong. It is hot from April through October. Even November and December can be warm. January and February can be chilly. In outlying areas, there will even be frost at night.

All of my family has developed allergies/respiratory issues since moving here. It is just so dusty and dirty.

It is not Los Angeles, but the commuting is absolutely terrible and often times deadly. In the little city of Mariocpa alone, there has been several car accidents and many of them fatal. Three of them occured right at the entrance to our development. People drive absolutely crazy here. Manners or kindness? For the most part, forget it. New Yorkers seem very warm and mannerly compared to people here.

Lastly, if you are white, you will be a minority unless you can afford to live in a very expensive community. There are many, many Hispanics here. Spanish is everywhere. My daughter goes to a public middle school here and she is a minority group. The Hispanic kids, for the most part, are prejudiced against HER. Maricopa also has a gang problem in their schools. The middle school has gang bangers in training. God knows what is in the high schools.

We are getting back east the minute my husband's job offers a transfer. Make sure you can fit in before you come out here. Maybe Flagstaff is different. It is very small town. Expensive to buy a home, though, but maybe not compared to Conn.

Good Luck.
I agree with many of your sentiments. I moved out here from Washington D.C. and I regret that move everyday. I have been here for about 2 years. At first I really liked the place. Everything was new,it was cheap, the women were attractive (I am a single guy in my late 20's), the desert was an interesting change of pace, and I was close to California. After a few months though, it started to wear on me. I realized some of the things that I took for granted (like real neighborhoods, culture, character, history, intelligent people, etc) are severely lacking out here. I also agree that the whole plastic surgery, LA culture garbage really got on my nerves. Actually having an intelligent conversion with some of these people is a challenge. I also learned that weather and climate is more enjoyable when you have a little variety. You actually appreciate the sun when it rains sometimes.

Anyway, thankfully I am going to be moving back to the east in May. It's going to be colder and more expensive, but that's what it takes to live somewhere nice.

Good luck on getting out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
 
9 posts, read 39,423 times
Reputation: 11
I havenít been visiting this forum often, but Iím amazed at the misinformation and exaggeration that prevails. While AZ is not the be-all, end-all answer to everyoneís dreams, itís hardly the worst place in the country to live. A lot of the problems people rip AZ for (traffic, weather, allergies, fake people, etc) exist in the same places they came from. Obviously, a lot of people come here and like it enough to stay. It is one of the fastest growing areas of the country, after all. Not everybody is miserable and/or desperate to get out, although one may get that impression from all the negativity on this board.

I would urge anyone thinking about moving to AZ to visit a couple of times, including during the summer, think about where they might like to live/work/commute, and to rent for as long as a year to see how well it fits you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top