U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 9,006 times
Default Renting Apartment with no Job

I just quit my job to relocate to the Phoenix area. I plan on coming down on July 1 and I was wondering if I'll have any trouble renting an apartment without a job? Will I have to pay advance rent or is a good credit score enough? Maybe I should add that I'm 49 years old and own a residence in South Dakota. Also been professionally employed for the last 25 years. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM

79 posts, read 255,438 times
It will not be as easy as renting with a job. Most, if not all, landlords and their rental offices ask for verification of employment. What you might do, if they seem unwilling to rent, offer to pay part of the year upfront.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,002,093 times
I was in the same boat last year, definitely makes it harder but it still is quite possible to get a place to rent if you have:
~ Good credit
~ Clean background
~ At least a few months of rent $$ in your bank account.
I'd also suggest telling the leasing office that you have job interviews lined up (even if that is not true), that will make them feel a bit better.

If you fail to get an apartment, check out the roommate ads (CraigsList.com). I'd actually do that before moving over, call ahead and get a few of the available ones ready to check out, just in case.

Good Luck.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM

3,971 posts, read 6,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

If you fail to get an apartment, check out the roommate ads (CraigsList.com). I'd actually do that before moving over, call ahead and get a few of the available ones ready to check out, just in case.

Good Luck.
That's what i had to do when i moved from Tucson.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,105,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
It will not be as easy as renting with a job. Most, if not all, landlords and their rental offices ask for verification of employment. What you might do, if they seem unwilling to rent, offer to pay part of the year upfront.
I hate that catch22 situation. You need an apartment in a new city in order to settle down and find a job, yet you need a job to get that apartment in the first place.

A few years back, I offered to pay my whole year's lease up front ($9600!!) at one complex and they still said no - that I needed a verification of employment.

I got a job in about 2 weeks and moved, but it's still an asinine process ... especially when someone offers to pay their whole rent up front.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,006 times
Thanks for the replies. That isn't exactly what I was hoping to hear but that's what I was expecting. I'll just have to hope for the best.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM

680 posts, read 1,706,306 times
You could check out some of the extended stay hotels and find out if the cost would be low enough on a monthly basis. Also, some motels have kitchen facilities.

I have never checked into either of the two things mentioned, so have no idea about whether the rates are competitive with apartments.

People advertising on craigslist for roommates might be leery of unemployed people too.

altus2006

Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM

219 posts, read 499,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
I just quit my job to relocate to the Phoenix area. I plan on coming down on July 1 and I was wondering if I'll have any trouble renting an apartment without a job? Will I have to pay advance rent or is a good credit score enough? Maybe I should add that I'm 49 years old and own a residence in South Dakota. Also been professionally employed for the last 25 years. Thanks!
I just rented an apartment, and it seems it is pretty lax here. I would recommend showing your original offer sheet, or a former pay stub and say you are still employed there and down in the valley to look at apartments. Then sign a lease with that offer of employment or paystub, and they usually won't research it any further.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,920,395 times
I have an aquaintance who moved to Phoeninx without a job lined up and was able to buy a house.
He had an excellent FICO score and put 20% down.

I would not think just getting a place to rent would be a problem at all. Good credit + plus enough cash up front and you should be fine.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM

780 posts, read 1,693,434 times
Smile This person is a perfect transplant for Phoenix

This is great. I am sure that you will have no problem coming down with no job. The job market is great here. I've been hearing that Phoenix is in the middle of a boom and has the best job growth in the nation. This is the perfect place to just show up with nothing and then when you get here everything just falls into place from day 1.

With the wonderful economy here and all the exciting growth Phoenix is perfect for transplants. Right guys. After all its because of people just like the OP that Phoenix is experiencing such great population growth. I hope to see you here soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area