Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times

Advertisements

you guys are funny. But thanks to those who did respond with some helpful answers. I wasn't really trying to restart the same thread that got closed but i guess i can see how some people may have thought that. but that's wasnt the case.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
you guys are funny. But thanks to those who did respond with some helpful answers. I wasn't really trying to restart the same thread that got closed but i guess i can see how some people may have thought that. but that's wasnt the case.
It's just that the same threads tend to be started over and over and over until they degenerate into yelling...

But that said, here's the upshot. Both Houston and Phoenix are gigantic, sprawling, car-driven cities with limited public transportation, and a similar style of people. Both cities have a fairly good infrastructure with decent museums and parks.

If you don't mind humidity, prefer lush vegetation, a reasonably developed downtown (though not incredibly) and lots of good restaurants, and a very strange landscape where, because of the lack of zoning, there are skyscrapers next to Taco Bells, then you'll like Houston.

If you can't stand humidity, like the desert environment and mountains, like a downtown that is in the process of developing, and a reasonable number of good restaurants, then you'll like Phoenix.

If you like close-knit, walkable cities with tons of history, you're not going to like either one.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
It's just that the same threads tend to be started over and over and over until they degenerate into yelling...

But that said, here's the upshot. Both Houston and Phoenix are gigantic, sprawling, car-driven cities with limited public transportation, and a similar style of people. Both cities have a fairly good infrastructure with decent museums and parks.

If you don't mind humidity, prefer lush vegetation, a reasonably developed downtown (though not incredibly) and lots of good restaurants, and a very strange landscape where, because of the lack of zoning, there are skyscrapers next to Taco Bells, then you'll like Houston.

If you can't stand humidity, like the desert environment and mountains, like a downtown that is in the process of developing, and a reasonable number of good restaurants, then you'll like Phoenix.

If you like close-knit, walkable cities with tons of history, you're not going to like either one.
Ah, I'll accept that. But if you like walkable, close knit communites, I would look into established and historic neighborhoods in Phoenix. There are 36 historic neighborhoods in Phoenix that are all walkable, close knit and well...historic and many of them are quite large such as the Encanto-Palmcroft and Coronado neighborhoods. Also, Biltmore and Arcadia, Roosevlet, and...well ok, so I don't agree with the last part of his comment. Plently of walkable and close knit neighborhoods in Phoenix, just not the sprawling suburbs and that can be argued too I'm sure (especially those who live in places like Estrella MR, Vistancia, Anthem, Greyhawk, DC Ranch, Arrowhead Lakes, and well lots more).

Old 06-05-2008, 03:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
I'm a Phoenix guy but I do know about Houston. Like Phoenix they do in fact have walkable historic neighborhoods most notably Montrose.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile Phoenix is not as good as Houston

Take it from me I just left Phoenix for Houston after 11 years and it is nowhere as good as Houston. Just read the thread about Phoenix passing Houston as the 4th largest city. Houston is a world class city and Phoenix isn't even developing into one yet.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Ah, I'll accept that. But if you like walkable, close knit communites, I would look into established and historic neighborhoods in Phoenix. There are 36 historic neighborhoods in Phoenix that are all walkable, close knit and well...historic and many of them are quite large such as the Encanto-Palmcroft and Coronado neighborhoods. Also, Biltmore and Arcadia, Roosevlet, and...well ok, so I don't agree with the last part of his comment. Plently of walkable and close knit neighborhoods in Phoenix, just not the sprawling suburbs and that can be argued too I'm sure (especially those who live in places like Estrella MR, Vistancia, Anthem, Greyhawk, DC Ranch, Arrowhead Lakes, and well lots more).
I guess what I meant is that they're not walkable in that it's a bit difficult to walk to the corner store, local bar, cute Italian restaurant, etc. - you know, the kind of walkability you find in a New York or a Chicago. But that walkability doesn't exist in Houston either, and I agree, especially once light rail is going, those central Phoenix neighborhoods - being walkable to light rail - will suddenly become quite city-like. Which I like, and that's why I prefer Phoenix. That and the lack of humidity.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Take it from me I just left Phoenix for Houston after 11 years and it is nowhere as good as Houston. Just read the thread about Phoenix passing Houston as the 4th largest city. Houston is a world class city and Phoenix isn't even developing into one yet.
I think the majority of us who have been to Houston would rank it among the most undesirable city in America. The poeple who live in Houston for the most part, HAVE to live there for the jobs. THe only good thing about Houston is HEB. Other than the fact that Clyde Drexler used the rockets to get a ring, I cant think of a single reason to celebrate it. Yes I know it well by the way. If you put Phoenix against Austin, at least you would have SOMETHING to talk about. Phoenix of course is a destination of choice.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile More people visit Houston every year than Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I think the majority of us who have been to Houston would rank it among the most undesirable city in America. The poeple who live in Houston for the most part, HAVE to live there for the jobs. THe only good thing about Houston is HEB. Other than the fact that Clyde Drexler used the rockets to get a ring, I cant think of a single reason to celebrate it. Yes I know it well by the way. If you put Phoenix against Austin, at least you would have SOMETHING to talk about. Phoenix of course is a destination of choice.
What are you talking about saying that Phoenix is a destination of choice??? Far more people visit Houston every year than Phoenix. Uh, lets see?? so far 2.144 million people have already chosen Houston and more come every day and only 1.52 million people have chosen Phoenix.Which one is more of a destination of choice.

Both Phoenix and Houston have been growing at the same rate quantity wise. The difference in growth is that Phoenix grows more from domestic migration (a lot of this is retirees moving from other states to retire in the Phoenix area) and Houston grows more from foreign migration.

A common misconception in Phoenix is that all of the population growth is new people relocating to Phoenix from other parts of the country. This is not true only maybe half of the growth is from this. The other half is from the birth rate and a little is from foreign migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area