U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM
 
2,639 posts, read 2,326,617 times
Reputation: 1755

Advertisements

I'm contemplating moving from Houston to Phoenix. Not that i don't like Houston, it's just I want to be a little closer to my mother in Colorado. I know both places are hot as hell but I think Houston may be a little ahead of Phoenix in terms of urbanism. Some people say that Phoenix might catch Houston in population at the rate Phoenix is growing eventually, but fail to realize that Houston is growing at a healthy rate too.

I'm into the city life, growing up in Colorado Springs, CO, i've just been more turned on to the city rather than the suburban lifestyle. I know Denver is right up the road as well from the Springs but I'm still needing a break from the snow and cold weather that CO can get.

 
Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
 
Location: AZ
19,656 posts, read 51,214,300 times
Reputation: 8939
Here we go again! The great Houston vs PHX debate! Take 52! Annnnnnd roll....
 
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 6,292,229 times
Reputation: 863
YEAH, lets not start THIS again. Basically buddy, if your looking for urbanism, do yourself a favor when moving to Phoenix, DO NOT move to the suburbs!!! Live near a central location in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe and hell even Glendale near Westgate and all the entertainment venues. Look to live near Old Town (Scottsdale), Tempe (near the Lake and Mill Ave.), downtown Phoenix in a historic district or midrise/highrise, and Glendale's downtown district or Westgate which are down the road from each other. DO NOT live in far N. Scottsdale, N. Phoenix, Anthem, Mesa, Chandler, Surprise, and Goodyear and expect "urbanism." I've said many times before, people visit Phoenix, decide to move here because they loved the urban ammenities near their hotels like the museums, spas, resorts, theatres, restaurants, night clubs/bars, fashion/art shows, and then decide to move out to the far flung suburbs that are much more situated for those seeking that lifestyle and not for those used to density and other "headaches" that come with living in a central location.

And you said you're from Colorado Springs, I've been there myself, have friends who live there and I wouldn't really define that as "big city life." To me CS feels more downtown Suburban city. In that case, you might like downtown Chandler, Carefree, Ahwatukee (Phoenix neighborhood along S. Mountain), Fountain Hills, and/or neighborhoods in Phoenix like the Biltmore and Arcadia.
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,229 posts, read 5,924,373 times
Reputation: 1481
If you are really looking for "real" urban then forget the southwest, and most of the south...including Houston. Go to Boston, Chicago, or NYC...Maybe Seattle or San Fran.
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 6,292,229 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
If you are really looking for "real" urban then forget the southwest, and most of the south...including Houston. Go to Boston, Chicago, or NYC...Maybe Seattle or San Fran.

Umm, he already dismissed those locations. As I posted in another thread, look into these areas:
Historic Neighborhoods of Phoenix
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,229 posts, read 5,924,373 times
Reputation: 1481
I know he did...but if he wants real urban then this isn't the place...and neither is Houston.
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 6,292,229 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I know he did...but if he wants real urban then this isn't the place...and neither is Houston.
In your opinion, but not mine, millions of others, and probably his since he may have been to both/heard of both and is choosing between one.
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
 
190 posts, read 379,686 times
Reputation: 57
This just seems like a deliberate effort to restart the previous feud. The author implies he read the previous Houston vs Phoenix thread by alluding to it: "Some people say that Phoenix might catch Houston in population at the rate Phoenix is growing eventually." If he is sincerely only seeking answers comparing the two cities, he or she could refer to that thread. Don't respond.
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM
 
2,724 posts, read 4,748,342 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Here we go again! The great Houston vs PHX debate! Take 52! Annnnnnd roll....
I was thinking the same thing. Well I guess this will be the newest debate, let's get it on and get it decided.
 
Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 PM
 
3,632 posts, read 11,091,283 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I'm contemplating moving from Houston to Phoenix. Not that i don't like Houston, it's just I want to be a little closer to my mother in Colorado. I know both places are hot as hell but I think Houston may be a little ahead of Phoenix in terms of urbanism. Some people say that Phoenix might catch Houston in population at the rate Phoenix is growing eventually, but fail to realize that Houston is growing at a healthy rate too.

I'm into the city life, growing up in Colorado Springs, CO, i've just been more turned on to the city rather than the suburban lifestyle. I know Denver is right up the road as well from the Springs but I'm still needing a break from the snow and cold weather that CO can get.
So, what is your question? There are other threads regarding the differences between these two cities. The last one was closed and if this thread is being started to rehash the other one it will also be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top