Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,076,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
You're welcome to donate all you want. While no one likes higher oil/gas prices, it's not my job to finance people's lifestyles because they failed to plan well. My dad is losing his job at the end of the month and doesn't care about it in the least and my mom lost hers years ago and decided to not bother working anymore. When you spend you're working years living beneath your means and never counting on anything from the gubmint, you tend to be better prepared in your golden years. Call me harsh, but if I was one of those people living on credit cards, buying things I couldn't afford and not saving anything, I might expect others to take care of me later. I'm not and I don't.
I took care of my parents and it wasn't for all they did for me nor all they had done for themselves. You sound like your just making excuses to get out of the responsibility of making sure your parents are safe during a hard time, whether they caused it or not! It has to do with who you are as a person, not who they are. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,694,869 times
I'm with Mr. Lee on this. I can't find the post im agreeing to to quote it. Look at the post above me for the quote. My parents are one of these people that save and don't except handouts. Now, on the other side of the coin. If the stock market crashes to nothing, they and millions of others lose their retirement, their saving that they've been doing for years. At that point, i will turn and help. Only because of what has happened is not necessarily their fault.

Last edited by shiphead; 06-07-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 12:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I'm with Mr. Lee on this. I can't find the post im agreeing to to quote it. Look at the post above me for the quote. My parents are one of these people that save and don't except handouts. Now, on the other side of the coin. If the stock market crashes to nothing, they and millions of others lose their retirement, their saving that they've been doing for years. At that point, i will turn and help. Only because of what has happened is not necessarily their fault.
And; mark my words here.........many of the above people would be demanding that Washington do something if their investments were wiped out.

Not agreeing or disagreeing here........what it is, is.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:46 PM

551 posts, read 1,589,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness; how did our 'senior citizens' deal with the oppressive heat in DC, etc. 50 years ago-------AC was a rare and expensive feature back then.

That stated; many more people froze to death in the '4 seasons' areas if there were no sources of fuel for fires.

I am smiling here as I spent most of my days living in the desert without AC. We used to drive long distances at night when it was cool because AC was not readily available in vehicles. I remember the evaporative coolers used in some vehicles but they weren't real common.

In fact, we did not get AC in our house until about three years ago. I now have both AC and the swampie. We still run the swampie unless it is really humid outside then it's the AC.

Smart desert folks learn to do heavy duty stuff during the morning hours or at night when it is cooler. Light duty stuff is done during the day, and if you have time you take a siesta in the afternoon.

Also, it is too bad the old adobe structures are fading away. They were cool buildings.

MA

Old 06-07-2008, 01:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,694,869 times
Quote:
And; mark my words here.........many of the above people would be demanding that Washington do something if their investments were wiped out.

That's to bad that they're relying on a tit to feed off of. I thought government was suppose to work the other way around.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:42 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I took care of my parents and it wasn't for all they did for me nor all they had done for themselves. You sound like your just making excuses to get out of the responsibility of making sure your parents are safe during a hard time, whether they caused it or not! It has to do with who you are as a person, not who they are. .
Believe you me, my parents need nothing from me. They are millionaires several times over and never made more than about $120k a year between the both of them. And even that was toward the ends of their careers. They saved and invested very well. When I was in the mortgage business I did a loan for my grandmother (for no commission, of course) and got a good look at her finances too. It's amazing how wealthy you can retire, having never made more than about $60k a year IF you save and invest well. She's 86 now and has money to burn. My wife and I make plenty more than my parents ever made and we feel like we're just getting by. But that's more a generational than economic thing.

And to the guy who said AZ has energy assistance for the poor and should for the elderly, WTF? You think public assistance should be based on how old you are instead of whether you're in financial need? Why should my well-off grandmother get public energy assistance? She doesn't need it. It's bad enough she gets social security and medicare and doesn't need it. It's that entitlement mindset like yours that will bankrupt this country. No, the gov't. should not be taking care of people, especially those who don't need it.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,238 times
Quote:

And what the hell is the government gonna do? Print more money and mail us all $600 checks again? That's why the dollar is worth crap now. There is no free lunch out there. If your portfolio takes a dive, you LOSE. There is no one to bail you out. And why should there be? When your investments are making you plenty of money, do you feel compelled to hand it all to those who didn't invest well or at all? How is the gov't. ever gonna get your home equity back? Force lenders to write down your balance? Talk about monopoly money and voodoo economics.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:59 PM

2,783 posts, read 7,442,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think what is more relavent is actual ridership and the percentage of commuters using public transportation.
Can you show me stats demonstrating higher public transit usage in Phoenix than Los Angeles? I'm skeptical. Keep in mind that most of your criticisms of LA rail lines not going to major employment centers can also be leveled against light rail in Phoenix. That's not a reason for either city to cease progress on rail transit, but just a common challenge that both cities face.

Honestly, I think we're on the same side most of the time, but some of these claims seem so exaggerated that I think they undermine your cause. Unless you can produce some amazing evidence, I maintain my earlier statement that public transportation is more developed in Los Angeles than Phoenix.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
And what the hell is the government gonna do? Print more money and mail us all $600 checks again? That's why the dollar is worth crap now. There is no free lunch out there. If your portfolio takes a dive, you LOSE. There is no one to bail you out. And why should there be? When your investments are making you plenty of money, do you feel compelled to hand it all to those who didn't invest well or at all? How is the gov't. ever gonna get your home equity back? Force lenders to write down your balance? Talk about monopoly money and voodoo economics.
I suggest you calm down, please.

My assets are zero aside from a decent credit rating. No one owes me anything.

Translation: I would not one of those 'Yuppies' with hat in hand going up to Uncle Sam and asking for a handout because my investments failed.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 17,626 times
we're at almost $4.50 in chicago. be grateful lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area