U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 AM

3,995 posts, read 6,138,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Here is a link to the article. Arizona lost jobs so it had negative job growth. Texas added the most jobs out of any state in the first quarter.
Former top-ranked Arizona falls to 46th for job growth, uptick expected in 2009 - Triangle Business Journal:

Phoenix didn't lose jobs, and neither did Arizona, if you read, job-growth declined in Arizona (not Phoenix) and this article only concerns March, LOL, hardly doom and gloom. The difference in March of last year compared to this year is a 0.3% drop in the growth rate (not a 0.3% drop in total number of jobs), oh god, call out the national gaurd! There was no major recoil in industries that caused layoffs in Phoenix and certainly not any major layoffs in Phoenix that spells disaster, even when talking about residential construction. Texas may top for 2009 (but only by a 0.4% higher rate of growth, Arizona -not Phoenix-is expected to grow by 1.7% where as texas is expected to grow by 2.1%), but given that it has well over 25 million people, three major metropolitan areas, I would expect no less. Wyoming topped the list at a staggering growth rate of 2.7%, LOL! Doubt there is a line of people waiting to move there, the force behind that is that it is one of the smallest states (population) and therefore, if Wal-mart opened a few stores, along with some other retailers, a dramatic impact in growth rate would be seen. And that is what is happening in Wyoming.

If there were three metro areas the size of Phoenix in Arizona, the same would be expected here. The bottom line however, is that Phoenix added more jobs than any Texas city, and despite the slowing economy, Phoenix is still going to top the list of cities for most job growth.

Best And Worst Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com

This has been the same routine with you on several posts. You try to skew the real picture and avoid the facts. Even though the growth rate has dropped a little, it is expected to recover...and you foget to mention that the rate of job growth eveywhere, even Houston, compared to last year has seen a decline. Please stop posting the same false, and skewed posts that are opinion, loosely based on data; data that actually works against your arguments.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-07-2008 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 AM

780 posts, read 1,694,804 times
Smile Arizona had a drop in the actual number of jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Phoenix didn't lose jobs, and neither did Arizona, if you read, job-growth declined in Arizona (not Phoenix) and this article only concerns March, LOL, hardly doom and gloom. The difference in March of last year compared to this year is a .7% drop in the growth rate (not a .7% drop in total number of jobs), oh god, call out the national gaurd! There was no major recoil in industries that caused layoffs in Phoenix and certainly not any major layoffs in Phoenix that spells disaster, even when talking about residential construction. Texas may have topped, but given that it has well over 25 million people, three major metropolitan areas, I would expect no less. If there were three metro areas the size of Phoenix in Arizona, the same would be expected here. The bottom line however, is that Phoenix added more jobs than any Texas city, and despite the slowing economy, Phoenix is still going to top the list of cities for most job growth.

This has been the same routine with you on several posts. You try to skew the real picture and avoid the facts. Even though the growth rate has dropped a little, it is expected to recover...and you foget to mention that the rate of job growth eveywhere, even Houston, compared to last year has seen a decline. Please stop posting the same false, and skewed posts that are opinion, loosely based on data; data that actually works against your arguments.
Respectfully sir, the article clearly says that the drop was in the number of jobs not the rate or percent of growth. Arizona has more mouths to feed than last year and less jobs to do it with. In addition this is not just a reflection of one months activity it is a reflection of a whole years activity.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:27 AM

Wow, you are one of the most stubborn people I have ever met. I am not name calling, but this incessant ranting and SKEWING of data is really not very productive. What the article is saying is that Arizona has lost a HYPOTHETICAL creation of jobs, in March because of a lower growth rate than in March of last year. As a business major, and some one who works with these numbers daily, I can tell you that the growth rate has tappered off a bit, by 0.3% to be exact, but that Arizona has not lost jobs. How can you have an increase of job growth with a slightly lower 0.3% difference compared to last year and have a net loss of jobs? You can't it's impossible. For that to happen, the growth rate would have to be negative, e.g. "Arizona has experienced a -1.7% rate of growth for March." (And the "whole year's activity?") All 6 months of it? Wow, someone might need to take a class on economics and then read forecasts that you, yourself have posted that still indicate Phoenix will grow faster than most cities, including Houston and Dallas. And then re-read the data that shows Phoenix's job growth grew faster than all large cities except for Las Vegas and that Arizona and Nevada have lead the nation for many years in job creation. An article you posted and others, also states that Arizona will again see it return to top spots for 2009 and the years following. One reason, Arizona's economy is much more diverse than Nevada's, which almost entirely relies on tourism and gambling.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-07-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 09:12 AM

74 posts, read 222,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The number shocked me, too. I know Arizona was in the top couple of spots for years, and to drop to almost dead last is a bit, I don't know.
Our unemployment rate however is at 3.9% compared to 5.5% nationally.
Arizona's wages are one of the worst in the country. Az is fantastic for retiree's, but as for making a living, forget about it. Schools and training cost to much in AZ. People with skill don't seem to come here. This evident when it comes trying to get something repaired.

In the last year AZ tv news has been running a clip on some clown who owns a steel fab. company in Phoneix. He's constantly crying about not being able to get steel workers for $20.00 an hr. . A rediculous wage for steel workers. The reason he can't get people to do his work is because he should be paying $30.00 to $40.00 an hr. The TV news is a pitch to the public for allowing Mexicans to be allowed to continue to invade our country and provide cheap labor for cheap skates. The owner of the steel fab outfit has threaten to move to Mexico. I say GO to Mexico. AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE HAVE HAD TARIFFS IN THIS COUNTRY. Government and coroprations have become patners in destroying the working class in America, the same working class that put them in power.

3.9% unemployment. Back to AZ. AZ has plenty of low level jobs, really nothing more than jobs to keep people off welfare, like Wal-Mart jobs, fast restaurants and dinining restaurants. Restarunts give income to people/owners who don't want to work for Wal-Mart, but have found the can put illegal aliens to work.

Last edited by haymann; 06-07-2008 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 AM

780 posts, read 1,694,804 times
Smile Great Post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymann View Post
Arizona's wages are one of the worst in the country. Az is fantastic for retiree's, but as for making a living, forget about it. Schools and training cost to much in AZ. People with skill don't seem to come here. This evident when it comes trying to get something repaired.

In the last year AZ tv news has been running a clip on some clown who owns a steel fab. company in Phoneix. He's constantly crying about not being able to get steel workers for $20.00 an hr. . A rediculous wage for steel workers. The reason he can't get people to do his work is because he should be paying $30.00 to $40.00 an hr. The TV news is a pitch to the public for allowing Mexicans to be allowed to continue to invade our country and provide cheap labor for cheap skates. The owner of the steel fab outfit has threaten to move to Mexico. I say GO to Mexico. AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE HAVE HAD TARIFFS IN THIS COUNTRY. Government and coroprations have become patners in destroying the working class in America, the same working class that put them in power.

3.9% unemployment. Back to AZ. AZ has plenty of low level jobs, really nothing more than jobs to keep people off welfare, like Wal-Mart jobs, fast restaurants and dinining restaurants. Restarunts give income to people/owners who don't want to work for Wal-Mart, but have found the can put illegal aliens to work.
Your post is well recieved here. This place needs to stop being underminded. The USA is losing its middle class at a fast rate. Just look at the Minimum wages in other countries. Canada has a minimum of like 9.50 an hour. Ireland is higher Engalnd is like 11.00 an hour and so are many other countries. Europe has had a higher cost of living for a long time now and the US is just now starting to catch up. If we are going to have inflation then we need to inflate the wages too.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymann View Post

Why is this type of false information continually shoveled out by those that don't really know the facts! Really, can someone but put an end to the falsity that has been shared about Phoenix and Arizona for as long as I can remember on these threads!

Haymann, read up on some facts and real information:
US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/011342.html - broken link)

Also, the small business sector in Phoenix is the largest in the nation, supplanting the need for Fortune 500 headquarters. Also, most of the money made in this country, taxes paid, and entrepenurial advances happen outside of those large companies.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,219,940 times
Quote:
Why is this type of false information continually shoveled out by those that don't really know the facts! Really, can someone but put an end to the falsity that has been shared about Phoenix and Arizona for as long as I can remember on these threads!

Haymann, read up on some facts and real information:
US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/011342.html - broken link)

Also, the small business sector in Phoenix is the largest in the nation, supplanting the need for Fortune 500 headquarters. Also, most of the money made in this country, taxes paid, and entrepenurial advances happen outside of those large companies.
Wow, I edited this because I was looking on cit-data.com and pulled up Boston, and Chicago, and we really do well compared to those stats. It doesn't feel like we are ok out here though. It's strange, I guess it's just the overall picture of our country right now that makes everyone feel like we are not doing well here. But it seems they are doing worse in other areas. We were in construction and had to make a career change which has been hard hit here in Phoenix. But the people who are not in this area seem to be doing well. On paper anyway. But, stats are throwing me lately.

Last edited by twiggy; 06-07-2008 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM

2,767 posts, read 4,235,314 times
Fcorrales80 I have to say I admire the pro attitude for your city(i'm all for that) but I have to say I'm a little offended by that fact that every time someone post valid info that may not shed a positive on Phoenix you always come back with a (pro Phoenix)spin job backed up by outdated polls and opinions. Do you really think people are that dumb? I have no dog in this either way, but hey lets call a spade a spade. Phoenix is not a good place to live right now period.
Btw; I read on another post that you stated that you wish you would have went to ucla, Please do us Real Trojans a favor and don't ever refer to your self as a USC grad, You wanabe little bruin. FO!

Last edited by usc619; 06-07-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 01:00 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,087,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The number shocked me, too. I know Arizona was in the top couple of spots for years, and to drop to almost dead last is a bit, I don't know.
Our unemployment rate however is at 3.9% compared to 5.5% nationally.
I'm in the market for a new job closer to my new home. I sent out 2 resumes last week. I have a phone interview Monday and an in person interview Tuesday for 2 great companies in Chandler. I've never had a problem finding a good job in AZ and I'm not in the service industry and I don't have a degree.

I guess I should add we came back to Phoenix from the Carolinas kicking and screaming because believe it or not Phoenix was the only place that responded to my husbands construction resumes........I don't get it myself but that's why we are here again and thank GOD in a better financial situation then when we left last year.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:14 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,483,381 times
Quote:
Bad news if your in the housing industry, but good forevery one else as Phoenix will now diversify economically more than it already has been in the past.
We really need to diversify. Relying on real estate & construction for our chief employment/economic sources is nothing more than tunnel vision ... especially now that Phoenix is one of the larger populated metro areas in the nation. And for that matter, Arizona is certainly no small state in terms of population anymore. This place can't prosper anymore simply by being sunny and cheap.

Quote:
Jobs that require you to have education or experience beyond high school. Especially those that require at least a bachelors. So basically, every job that you will find in any other city. But, healtcare, bio-tech, sciences that deal with renewable resources/sustainability, international business, hotel/resort/restaurant management (you might laugh, but those managing even the middle of the pack resorts in Phoenix make close to six figures, those in the top tier resorts/hotels can make a doctor jealous), and small business/medium business (Phoenix is known as the small business capital of the U.S.). So while huge corporations are lacking, small/medium businesses pick up the slack more than necessary in this metro area.
Why do you consider small business to be a virtue? Small business is just that: SMALL! A major metro area like Phoenix should encourage more Fortune 500 type of firms to locate their corporate HQs here ... not just satellite offices or regional offices, but large reputable firms that employ people with education, skills, and determination. Besides, the failure rate of small businesses is much higher than that of the large corporations. Why is that something to be proud of???

Another thing: those who own or manage small businesses have the opportunity to be very successful & make a substantial income ... and of course, there's nothing wrong with that. However, the employees who work for the small business usually make low wages and don't have benefits. In comparison, most employees at the larger firms not only make decent wages, they also have excellent benefits. I've worked for a large firm in Phoenix for many years & have a decent, steady income, plus excellent benefits.

Quote:
Also, the small business sector in Phoenix is the largest in the nation, supplanting the need for Fortune 500 headquarters.
Please! Enough with the small business hype. Small business is fine for the small towns and sparsely populated metro areas that nobody cares much about. Large corporations always have and always will determine the success of the city they are based in. Look at Seattle with Boeing and Microsoft (just to name two). Their economy is thriving because their employment base is diversified ... something that Phoenix lacks. Cities like Seattle and many others don't just rely on real estate, climate, and retirees for their growth indicators.

Quote:
Also, most of the money made in this country, taxes paid, and entrepenurial advances happen outside of those large companies
You've got to be kidding! Based on that logic, Hank the Handyman would be wealthier and more successful than Bill Gates or Donald Trump. Even at a time when a lot of people are down on corporate America, the facts are that the higher up you go in a large business, the wealthier you are (and you still have a steady income with benefits). Small business is unstable, income is sporadic, benefits are few, and the business can easily go belly up at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area