Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 28,300 times

Advertisements

Is it a prestige or more for a safety reason to live in a gated community.
I'm from Canada and when I visited Phoenix I saw in a real estate book condos for sale in a gated community. We dont have them here. Please someone tell me what are they about? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 06:35 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
They are considered more prestigious and I'm sure are probably safer. Personally I don't like them because it seems more of an inconvenience have to wait there for the gate to open everytime you get home or leave home.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
I live in the gated community of Grawyhawk and love it. I did it more for the safety aspect since Phoenix does have a high theft rate and it makes me feel a bit safer. I also enjoy the golf course, the resturants, the clubhouse, and all the other amenities living here. You also know that your neighbor has to keep up his property instead of having it go to pot. The HOA fees aren't terrible either.

I love to golf which is why I chose this community. Two of the best courses in all of Arizona are located in Grayhawk (Talon and Raptor) and offer breath-taking views. The golf membership wasn't cheap but I'm glad I bought in. All in all I couldn't go back to living in a regular neighborhood after living here. I love it.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Im sure theyre a tad bit safer as long as the gate is monitored by either camera or guard, more often its the former. I lived in a gated community out here in western Illinois, the gate was monitored by video surveillance, and it didnt really do much to keep people out. A log house next door to us was robbed of its tools while it was being constructed.

And Speedy? The best course in AZ is Troon North.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 PM

4 posts, read 28,300 times
Thanks to you all for the imformations. About HOA, is that something like condo fee? How much would HOA cost for a house of $200.000 value?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:55 AM

78 posts, read 421,327 times
I lived in a gated community for five years, and if I have my way, I'll never live in one again. (My wife feels the opposite...she loved it.)

To me, they're just an another inconvenience for anything being delivered, whether it's furniture, packages, or even a pizza.

One thing I did learn from the HOA was the misconception that the gates are for safety. They're not...they're for traffic control. They keep the random traffic from driving around and through the subdivision. If a potential thief wants in, all they have to do is wait for a resident to drive up and piggyback in. If there is a securty guard, that's a different story, but the gate alone is not going to keep anybody out if they really want in.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
I agree it's not going to keep anyone out if they really want in, but I do think it does provide a deterant which can only help against crime.

Unless a criminal is set on a particular house in that neighborhood, they would probably prefer a place where there is no gate...easier to get into, and easier to get out of.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Excuse me ,,,,,,,,, can someone open that damn gate again, I’m locked out.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsoon74 View Post
If a potential thief wants in, all they have to do is wait for a resident to drive up and piggyback in. If there is a securty guard, that's a different story, but the gate alone is not going to keep anybody out if they really want in.
That is exactly what I read. Gates do nothing to lower the crime rate within the neighborhood. A security guard at the front though does make a difference, but it mainly increases the likelihood that the thief will be caught which may cause a professional thief to think twice.

Remember, the guys breaking into homes don't do it randomly. Those people are normally drug addicts and don't last very long. Most break-ins are done by professionals who scope homes out and get information from people who have been in the house (yard workers, painters, etc).

Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
I, too, was surprised how many gated communities there are in the Phoenix area -- haven't seen them much anywhere else I've lived.

Seems like it would be a pain in the rear to me -- my guess is that it helps a little bit but mainly just makes homebuyers "feel" safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area