Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times

Advertisements

I think as long as you have a good job, you can live anywhere.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:33 PM

42 posts, read 176,731 times
I'd just love to see the OP's reaction when he/she finds out that the airport shut down once in the 90's because the temperature was too high (122 degrees, baby!!)

That's right, it was too hot for the planes to take off safely.

But it shouldn't happen again, now that they have had the charts they use to figure out weight/fuel ratios translated from Arabic.....

Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I hear that, a good job makes anyplace seem like paridise

Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryO View Post
I'd just love to see the OP's reaction when he/she finds out that the airport shut down once in the 90's because the temperature was too high (122 degrees, baby!!)

But it shouldn't happen again, now that they have had the charts they use to figure out weight/fuel ratios translated from Arabic.....
Actually; the problem was the planes were not certified for those hot conditions......not that they were physically unable to lift off the tarmac. So, better not to chance it.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; the problem was the planes were not certified for those hot conditions......not that they were physically unable to lift off the tarmac. So, better not to chance it.
Exactly, do you think people have trouble leaving Dubai and other Middle Eastern cities when the average summer time highs are over 130 degrees? Don't think so...also, the OP should know that the 122 degree mark was recorded in the hottest possible spot in Phoenix. The airport, which is surrounded by concrete, asphalt, and miles of tarmac. The hottest temperature recorded downtown, that SAME day was 114. 114 degrees is the record temperature reached Downtown.

Phoenix, AZ (85003) Weather Facts
  • The average warmest month is July.
  • The highest recorded temperature was 114°F in 1990.
  • The average coolest month is January.
  • The lowest recorded temperature was 12°F in 1963.
  • The maximum average precipitation occurs in March.
Average Weather for Phoenix, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 06-13-2008, 05:44 AM

42 posts, read 176,731 times
Actually, fcorrales80 and ArizonaBear, nope. Planes can take it....at least if they are in normal operating shape.

A year or two later it again hit over 120 and Sky Harbor didn't shut down. The planes kept flying that time.

And before you tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about....my dad was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines, stationed in Phoenix. His friends were scrambling to find the tables necessary to calculate weight/fuel ratios for that heat (120 plus), and the only ones that anyone at any airline could find at that time were written in Arabic, for airlines like Saudia. This was well before the first Gulf War, and nobody ever thought they would have to worry about that kind of excessive heat anywhere other than the Middle East.

(You think they ground the planes for months at a time there? I don't think so....and they don't build Boeings/Airbuses to different tolerances for the Middle East any more than planes are built differently for Minnesota/Russian winters......)

Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:

Just to be fair, in many other major cities, Airplanes are forced to not take off if weather conditions are not favorable. Where I live in Chicago, if there is too much snow or slick conditions on the runway, the flights are canceled or delayed until the weather conditions resolve to a safer flying situation.

If the OP can't handle a few weather disturbances, then they will not have many choices as all places have some type of issue (too cold, too hot, too rainy, hurricanes, tornadoes, lots of snow, etc.).

Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I think I agree with that, as one can enjoy a better lifestyle from it.

You can also be miserable even in what is considered to be "the best place to live in", if your life is not what you want it to be.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
Bahaa!! ItChick is right on. Phoenix airport gets shut down once in 20 years. Isn't that like a weekly occurrence in Chicago, Denver, New York?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Actually, fcorrales80 and ArizonaBear, nope. Planes can take it....at least if they are in normal operating shape.

A year or two later it again hit over 120 and Sky Harbor didn't shut down. The planes kept flying that time.

And before you tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about....my dad was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines, stationed in Phoenix. His friends were scrambling to find the tables necessary to calculate weight/fuel ratios for that heat (120 plus), and the only ones that anyone at any airline could find at that time were written in Arabic, for airlines like Saudia. This was well before the first Gulf War, and nobody ever thought they would have to worry about that kind of excessive heat anywhere other than the Middle East.

(You think they ground the planes for months at a time there? I don't think so....and they don't build Boeings/Airbuses to different tolerances for the Middle East any more than planes are built differently for Minnesota/Russian winters......)
I just learned something, thanks. Thats a pretty good point about airlines in the Middle East. I was there in Gulf War 1 and it gets hotter there in my opinion than anywhere on the planet. No science to back that up by the way.

I think Airport delays due to weather is just another thing we don't have to worry about here in the Valley.

It was just 4 months ago, I was stuck in a terrible snow storm in New Mexico while moving from Denver to here. I don't ever want to drive over the white stuff again.

The town I moved from just got destroyed for the most part by a 9 tornatoes last month. Boy am I glad to be here with nothing to ***** about but the heat. Like someone said, if you have a good job, you can live anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area