Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:26 PM

25 posts, read 66,748 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in minneapolis, and my house is going to sell tomorrow. I won't close for about a month, but I have multiple offers that come in tomorrow morning.

I have a few neighborhoods picked out, based on the advice of a few friends that know what we like who have lived in PHX.

We're definitely choosing Scottsdale. Here's our preferred neighboorhoods:

1.) Kierland
2.) McDowell Mtn Ranch
3.) Grayhawk
4.) DC Ranch

The only thing I know for sure, is that Kierland is #1, based on my conversations with a buddy who I trust.

My question to you all is this. How should I coordinate finding a place to rent in Kierland? I've been looking on Craigslist, and emailing folks. I am planning on coming down there on the weekend of 6/27. Any advice is welcomed!!

Oh, one last thing, my budget is about 1500 or so / month. How crazy should I expect utilities to be?

Thanks all!
Shane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
$1500 a month for a house in one of those areas? You're talking about a rental, right? Have you found any online for that price???? I'd say GOOD LUCK. I don't live in Scottsdale, but the house next door to me is asking $1600. It seems that you could find a rental in ANY area except Scottsdale. Homes cost half a million into the several millions there.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:42 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
I agree, you might have to up your monthly rental expenses in order to live in one of those communities. I have a friend who rents in Greyhawk and pays 3200 a month (for him that is inexpensive given his income and he is able to save to buy one soon, I hate him, LOL) and its not that large of a house but its VERY nice. I live downtown and lofts that are two to three bedrooms range from 2100 and up. You may have to reconsider the area or think about spending more a month...maybe looking into luxury apartments in the areas you've mentioned.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:57 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
$1500 a month for a house in one of those areas? You're talking about a rental, right? Have you found any online for that price???? I'd say GOOD LUCK. I don't live in Scottsdale, but the house next door to me is asking $1600. It seems that you could find a rental in ANY area except Scottsdale. Homes cost half a million into the several millions there.
You must be referring to north Scottsdale (which is $$$).......I live in the extreme south end and houses here are selling for under 170K.

Too; with the increasing fuel prices, that may wind up pushing out quite a few people who live in the former enclave, forcing down housing costs.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:06 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You must be referring to north Scottsdale (which is $$$).......I live in the extreme south end and houses here are selling for under 170K.

Too; with the increasing fuel prices, that may wind up pushing out quite a few people who live in the former enclave, forcing down housing costs.
Well, since the OP was talking about communities in N. Scottsdale and not S. then she is right on with her assessment.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

I'm referring to the areas that the OP is talking about, which happens to be in N. Scottsdale.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:33 PM

I have around 1500-2000 at a max, and yes it's for a rental. I've been seeing plenty of houses in that range on craigslist. I appreciate the input, and am wondering based on all of your comments, if my expectations are realistic?

I can give you a couple of example places:
3/2 Beautiful Home w/ pool & yard (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/apa/715332378.html - broken link)
Available now! Fantastic Interior! Clean and Updated! (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/apa/718428088.html - broken link)

I'm wondering if you know of any better methods than craigslist to find home rentals.

We definitely want to rent a house, not a condo or apartment (if possible). We have a couple of dogs, so we need to be able to let them out into a fenced yard, without having to go out with them.

Update: We accepted an offer today, and will be moving to PHX by 7/24. Super exciting!

Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickey View Post
I have around 1500-2000 at a max, and yes it's for a rental. I've been seeing plenty of houses in that range on craigslist. I appreciate the input, and am wondering based on all of your comments, if my expectations are realistic?

I can give you a couple of example places:
3/2 Beautiful Home w/ pool & yard (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/apa/715332378.html - broken link)
Available now! Fantastic Interior! Clean and Updated! (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/apa/718428088.html - broken link)

I'm wondering if you know of any better methods than craigslist to find home rentals.

We definitely want to rent a house, not a condo or apartment (if possible). We have a couple of dogs, so we need to be able to let them out into a fenced yard, without having to go out with them.

Update: We accepted an offer today, and will be moving to PHX by 7/24. Super exciting!
Ok, I thought you really wanted to stay at $1500 including all utilities, which would NOT happen.

Both of these listings look really nice, so I'd jump on them if I were you! You should allow about $200-$300 for electric during the summer (at the peak summer time - aug/sept), especially if you have a pool. Some people will have higher bills and some lower. But it looks like you are looking at around 1500sf homes. Then, if you have cable, phone, gas, water, etc, that could run you another $200 or more (depending if you take a package deal with your cable/phone/internet). So, total it could be $400-$500 or more a month during the peak time for utilities. Not peak summer could be $300-400. Just depends on your usage.

With that being said, I see you are looking at homes for $1750 per month. Adding my estimates would put you at $2050-2150 during the winter to warmer months to $2250-2350 during the hot summer months. So, you may want to look at homes at around $1500 to be safe.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Any ideas for other places to look for rental homes in the scottsdale area??

Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Have you checked realtor.com? That's where realtors will post their homes for rent the most, along with craigslist. On CL, it looks like the homes around $1500 will be in S. Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area