Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 8,368 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for your advice on schools. Is anyone familiar with the Chandler Ocotillo area (I am sorry if I got the spelling wrong) or Carino estates? What you do you think of those areas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM

133 posts, read 376,852 times
Check out the Higley Unified School District in Gilbert. You will be pleasantly surprised. It is being developed as a world class school district. Higley High School is excellent and the new Williams Field school has a great principal and beautiful facilities including an Olympic size pool, golf team, volleyball... etc.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:33 PM

Here is the link to the Higley Unified School District Web site (http://www.husd.org/Mainnews.aspx - broken link).

It is the only fully-accredited K-12 district in the entire State of Arizona! Very professionally managed -- much better than most of the public schools in Gilbert.

Chandler has an excellent superintendent, as well and Chandler High has an international baccalaurete program.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:28 PM

12 posts, read 39,331 times
Default Scottsdale Unified

Highly recommend Scottsdale Unified. I am from the East Coast, from one of those so-called "top" school districts. I prefer Scottsdale.

Also Washington and Madison school districts in PHX are supposed to be good, as is Peoria.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:24 PM

35 posts, read 124,642 times
I would also recommend looking at the AZ Dept. of Ed. website for the junior & senior high's school report card. It will show test scores, population, activities etc. Of note for myself is always the amount of times that the police had to be called to the campus during any given year. Take that number and divide it by the standard 180 days. For our local high school this number works out to 1 out of every 3 days. TOO MUCH FOR ME! Our high school would be considered "great", yet clearly there are some "issues". Also remember that most of these schools have resource officers on campus. So, presumably, they are handling "small" things on campus.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
The Arizona Department of Education should take a look at the states that have the highest SAT scores and college placements.
Maybe they would learn more than to tell everyone how fun their school is.

There is one solid way to get rid of the drugs, guns, etc. No tolerance. Yessir...you get caught doing that...you go find another school that will let you in. An education is a privilege.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
The Arizona Department of Education should take a look at the states that have the highest SAT scores and college placements.

There is one solid way to get rid of the drugs, guns, etc. No tolerance. Yessir...you get caught doing that...you go find another school that will let you in. An education is a privilege.
Professional educators say that standardized test ONLY tell you what socio-economic group you belong to-- not how smart or determined you are.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
how about just telling us that about ARIZONA schools? Which ones graduate the most college-bound students? How many boys go to college from that school vs. how many girls go to college. Unfortunately, in Arizona, you have to still ask those questions.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 8,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
Here is the link to the Higley Unified School District Web site (http://www.husd.org/Mainnews.aspx - broken link).

It is the only fully-accredited K-12 district in the entire State of Arizona! Very professionally managed -- much better than most of the public schools in Gilbert.

Chandler has an excellent superintendent, as well and Chandler High has an international baccalaurete program.
Thanks for the detailed information

Thanks to everyone who have shared their knowledge with me. I appreciate it

Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 25,187 times
Check the state ranking web sites, they rank schools by test scores, teacher to student ratio, free lunch etc. Remember that no matter where your child goes to school you'll have to supplement at home, if education is a priority at home your kid can get a good education even in the worst schools and a kid can get a crappy ed in "great" school if its not. Have a good friend who is brilliant, went to harvard and majored in beer and hacky sack, could ahve gone to a jr college applied himself and got a better ed.Best of luck I am in the same boat relocatign to Phoenix from upstate NY with 3 little ones.Hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area