Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM

26 posts, read 119,051 times

Advertisements

I just heard some concerning news considering I will be moving to Tempe and just down the road from the town of Guadalupe. Is it true that the town decided to cancel their contract with the country sherrif's department? Does this mean patrol cars would not be allowed through the town?

I have heard crime there is bad enough, and without police I am really concerned being so close. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 AM

99 posts, read 386,735 times
Bump

Old 06-18-2008, 08:12 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
If they do then they'll probably sign a contract with Tempe or Phoenix PD.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
The story is the the Mayor was upset over sheriff Joe's raids...She aired her business with the media and then Joe did the same.

Instead of sitting down and discussing the situation like adults should they both acted like children in a play ground.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
And despite Rebecca Jimenez's bleatings to the contrary; Sheriff Joe still will have jurisdiction over Guadalupe due to it being in Maricopa County.

Apparently Jimenez has been acting like a real jackass (donkey) as of late because she was stopped/cited in her car due to no registration as well as an equipment violation--------the rest of the Guad town council is not happy with her antics.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 AM

I have a hard time believing that the Phoenix or Tempe PD will undertake the full-time job that is Guadalupe. Why should taxpayers in Phoenix or Tempe have to carry the burden of helping Guadalupe police it's own town?

Besides, the Phoenix PD is already severely understaffed by 200-300 officers The police chief has publicly stated that it would take a minimum of 41 cops to adequately police Guadalupe and they simply don't have the resources.

That leaves....the Department of Public Safety. God help us all.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,965 times
My brother said he drove through there by mistake and it was like going into Mexico... Like 3rd world ghetto type of stuff.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bona0718 View Post
I have a hard time believing that the Phoenix or Tempe PD will undertake the full-time job that is Guadalupe. Why should taxpayers in Phoenix or Tempe have to carry the burden of helping Guadalupe police it's own town?

Besides, the Phoenix PD is already severely understaffed by 200-300 officers The police chief has publicly stated that it would take a minimum of 41 cops to adequately police Guadalupe and they simply don't have the resources.

That leaves....the Department of Public Safety. God help us all.
Tempe or Phoenix taxpayers won't be footing the bill. Whatever Guadalupe decides they won't be getting it for free; They'll have to enter into a contract just like they did with MCSO, unless they decide to start another little corrupt PD of their own again. When all is said and done I think they'll have no choice but to renegotiate the contract with the county. It isn't up to the mayor-she only has one vote on the town council. DPS doesn't have the manpower to do it anyway but I'm curious, what's your problem with them?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer I had a problem with the DPS itself. It's just they don't have nearly enough manpower to adequately handle Guadalupe (as you pointed out) I'm sure they do a fine job, they just don't have the numbers.

If, for some reason, the DPS was assigned to patrol Guadalupe I just think things would get out of control. A

gain, I'm by no means an expert on the area. But common sense tells you that crime-riddled areas like Guadalupe need adequate police attention.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 AM

267 posts, read 885,461 times
It's true, but they will need to sign a contract with another agency. They won't go without officers. Who knows, they may even work things out and stay with MCSD. I think it was Carefree had a falling out with the sheriffs dept a few years ago and they were going to cancel their contract, but in the end it worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area