Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM
lwf lwf started this thread

1 posts, read 6,565 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our early 50s and starting to think about acquiring a retirement home in a 55+ community (preferably gated) in Arizona to spend the winters in. We've done a bit of web surfing and found a couple of spots we'd like some more info on . . . Robson Ranch in Eloy and Sunland Springs Village Springs by Farnsworth in Mesa. Can anyone provide some comments on either one (e.g. are they quality builders, good locations, etc.) Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwf View Post
My wife and I are in our early 50s and starting to think about acquiring a retirement home in a 55+ community (preferably gated) in Arizona to spend the winters in. We've done a bit of web surfing and found a couple of spots we'd like some more info on . . . Robson Ranch in Eloy and Sunland Springs Village Springs by Farnsworth in Mesa. Can anyone provide some comments on either one (e.g. are they quality builders, good locations, etc.) Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry that this doesn't reply to the question about the 2 locations mentioned...but did you already check out the Sun City areas in far west Phx? My FIL lives in the orig Sun City (older and not very fancy) and I just can't say enough about it. Cheap, safe, a great community and people look out for each other. Sun City Grand (further west) is newer and has a younger vibe. I'm sure you've looked at these communities and are more interested in the ones you wrote about...but on the off chance you don't know about these, I thought I'd mention them. Good luck. The Phx area is a very nice place to live.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM

191 posts, read 611,669 times
Default Retiring in AZ

Robson Ranch is a very nice planned community with lots of amenities. But...if you plan to go to events in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe etc... you will have a very, very, very long drive. If you are happy to stay within the community and participate in the activities provided there that would be a good choice.

Sunland Springs Village is nice too. Much, much more convenient to the valley activities, pro sports games and shopping and restaurants. It is built by Farnsworth who is a local politico here in the valley. (Translation - more accountable) By choosing this one, you are not stuck on the reservation, so to speak, you can go to the mall if you want without packing a suitcase.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:24 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I would highly recommend looking at the development in Queen Creek by Shea Homes called Encantada. They have some awesome ammenities as well as a huge, huge golf course and upscale clubhouse in the works. The homes start in the low $200K's, or at least they did when we looked last month.
If you are looking on the west side, Del Webb has several very nice developments that are closer to great shopping. Trilogy/Vistancia up in north Peoria has some very nice homes and the setting is up in the foothills. They also have a nice golf course and restaurant. The flyer I got yesterday showed that they are giving away a new Prius with a purchase. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 24,336 times
I would suggest a Robson home over the other builders. They will customize any of their floorplans to your specs. If you want to expand a 1600 sq.ft. home to 2000 sq.ft., add bay windows, remove inside walls, add and island in the kitchen, etc. Any thing you can afford.Ha, ha, ha. Also, instead of buying in Eloy, 40 miles from anything, I would suggest Pebblecreek, in Goodyear. It's gated, has 2 golf courses, 2 full rec centers with indoor and out door pools, (heated), steam room, fitness equpment, and full bar and restaurant facilities. It's still a haul from the airport or some other attractions, but it is right on I-10, and close to Loop 101, which can speed you anywhere you want to go.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM

53 posts, read 219,166 times
The two areas that come to mind are Sun Bird, and Sun Lakes. Sun Lakes has everything you can possibly want, and believe they have a website. I rented a home in Sun Lakes for two months and the home prices can be reasonable depending on what you are looking for, some areas are gated.

Sun Bird is gated.

Dreamland is a 55 and older area, it has more modest homes and is located in East Mesa. This area is not gated.

There are many trailer parks. The paper here is called the Arizona Republic.

Happy Hunting

Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,125,863 times
Trilogy/Vistancia is beautiful. But the prices were a little stip for us. And we did not want to spend 156$ a month in Association fees since we would not use 3/4 of the amenities. We bought something in Sun City Festival in Buckeye.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 AM

18 posts, read 70,313 times
Can you tell me what the fees are in Festival? I was seriously considering goint to SC Grand but the fees are very high. Thank you very much.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Here is a list of fees for Festival and all the other Sun Cities in the area.
http://www.kenmeaderealty.com/memo/communityfees.pdf

Do you realize that SC Festival is out in the boondocks about a 1/2 hour drive to the nearest areas for shopping, recreation etal. Yes SC Festival has 1 grocer and a rec center, but that's all. Sales there have been sluggish due to the fact that it is so far out in the middle of nowhere. On the plus side in about 20 years it will all be built up there with over 2 million people on that west side. Your today investment will increas substantially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area