Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 PM

19 posts, read 34,397 times

Advertisements

Wowowo! 28 replies in 8 hours. Boy, did I stir a bee hive here.

Listen, I don't have a problem with people bashing Phoenix - as I said no place is perfect. But I do feel strange about people vehemently criticizing Phoenix and the don't even freakin' LIVE THERE!!! Why the constant stupid comparison of Phoenix to Chicago or any other city for that matter? Phoenix is Phoenix and it's not Chicago and vice versa. So who cares if it is -800 degrees in Chicago while people are frying eggs on the hood of their car in Phoenix? I feel a sense of "mine is bigger than yours" complex in all these comaprisons.

These poeple do not add to any constructive criticism on the forum. They disrupt the exchange of ideas and knowledge between people who actually live in the city and people who are seriously thinking of moving there. Obviously as a potential resident I would want to know all the good and the bad things about the city - but from the poeple who actually live there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 04:05 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,521 times
What I find to be hysterical is the members from Illinois (Chicago) that sit around all day and do nothing but bash and attack Phoenix and its metro area to death. Let's get real folks! If Chicago is soooo great, here's a thought, get away from the computer sometime and enjoy it. Don't attack a city that is thousands of miles away and has really nothing more to do with your city than steal its residents during the winter. For one; bashing another city just because you don't like it is beyond ignorant to me and just about everyone else that has common sense. Obviously, since Phoenix and Las Vegas are growing at a rapid pace far beyond what Chi-town can produce, people enjoy the desert lifestyle over that of the artic/humid midwest where "Farmer Joe" reigns supreme. Get over it!! Fact of the matter is, not everyone wants the miserable weather that the midwest produces. Great for corn and soybeans, not for humans. End of story! There is nothing wrong with that, and does nothing to affect the quality of life in those cities, that we will be nice and say, are lacking in the quality of life area. Two; just because you have family that lives in the valley, and you visit MAYBE twice a year, does not make you an all knowing authority on everything Phoenix. This holds even more true when your family does not even live in Phoenix, but Scottsdale, Mesa etc., which is just as seperate from Phoenix, as Joliet is from Chicago. (The only difference between the Scottsdale and Joliet, the first isn't the armpit for the whole state like the latter.) Thirdly; you can't love places like Plainfield and Wasco Illinois, and then in the next post attack Phoenix for the same negatives. I don't know how many times the Illinois forum has been overtaken by Chicagoland members that all out bash anyone, and dare I say BAN (usually downstaters) that do not believe sprawl-happy western suburban cities (I use the word city very lighty here by the way) are interesting or even nice places to live. But then, like I stated before, in the VERY next post, and I do mean the VERY next post, wander over to the Phoenix forum, and attack those cities for the very same things they were just defending against. How does that even begin to make honest sense? What makes this even more interesting is that many of us that live south of I-80 now, have lived in, and been apart of the Chicagoland lifestyle for many years, and still have family and friends that call the area home. Therefore, granting us an interesting and more insightful impression on both areas of the state. However, most of the the Chicago based Phoenix haters have only lived in Chicago their whole lives (a trait common amongst them), but somehow believe that they know enough about Phoenix, and everywhere else for that matter, to say that without a doubt it is inferior to anything within the boundaries of Illinois. The hypocrisy of these members is total insanity! Hey, but someone has to make us laugh, right?

Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
AZ is as close to 'paradise' as you can get. Those that dis it are just jealous. Most people that come here to live are from those same places that have the complainers. Shows you what they thought of where they came from.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Hey, but someone has to make us laugh, right?
Speaking of which, you had me rollin there for awhile. Nice book, buddy.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Speaking of which, you had me rollin there for awhile. Nice book, buddy.
How do I know you would read it Steve-O?

Old 06-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
AZ is as close to 'paradise' as you can get.
If "paradise" is 100+ degree temps for a lot of the year, lack of water, lack of greenery, dust, painful flora, abundant venomous fauna that can potentially kill you, skin-cancer inducing, intense sunshine and non-native palm trees, cookie cutter subdivisions and strip malls, then yes, it is paradise!

Just havin a little fun with this. You all know that Chicago is paradise. LMBO

Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
How do I know you would read it Steve-O?
Well, you also live in IL, yet post on these AZ boards, and you only do so to attack me. Did you expect I wouldnt read it?

While youre on the subject of hypocrisy, I should show everyone your post about Wasco where you say it "looks really nice" and then a few weeks later start bashing me and Wasco and everyone who lives there for promoting sprawl, to which your solution/recommendation was "move to Chandler" or wherever it was. Yikes! They have medicine for that kind of stuff, ya know.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
If "paradise" is 100+ degree temps for a lot of the year, lack of water, lack of greenery, dust, painful flora, abundant venomous fauna that can potentially kill you, skin-cancer inducing, intense sunshine and non-native palm trees, cookie cutter subdivisions and strip malls, then yes, it is paradise!
Sounds like paradise to me!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Well, you also live in IL, yet post on these AZ boards, and you only do so to attack me. Did you expect I wouldnt read it?

While youre on the subject of hypocrisy, I should show everyone your post about Wasco where you say it "looks really nice" and then a few weeks later start bashing me and Wasco and everyone who lives there for promoting sprawl, to which your solution/recommendation was "move to Chandler" or wherever it was. Yikes! They have medicine for that kind of stuff, ya know.
I'm not going to get sucked into another one of your "let us turn yet another Phoenix specific thread into an Illinois war." Is this a hobby for you or something? I'm not even trying to joke about this.

But taking what I said out of context is uncalled for and you know that. I told you, your pictures, of Wasco were nice, as is much of your amateur work. I however, made the mistake of judging it only by your work alone though. Shortly after seeing them I took a short trip up there and found out that your pics where not an accurate description of what the town (again, another very generous title) is or like. I could take a camera into Aurora and make that place look good too! While your pictures are nice, they show only a very small, and might I say, a very biased side of the western 'burbs. You also know that as well. As far as the Chandler remarks go, I have no idea what you are talking about. I have been to Chandler Arizona a grand total of once in my lifetime, and that was about a ten minute drive through its northern section. I have no idea what you are talking about? I did however say that Gilbert, Arizona was much more a city than Wasco. I'm sorry if that offended you, but that isn't a opinion, that is solid fact. Do what you will with it.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Sounds like paradise to me!
Then you must be without a doubt the most uncultured person I know!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area