Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,414 times

Advertisements

My daughter has accepted a teaching position with the Pendergast school district and will be moving to Phoenix within the next month. Can anyone tell us about the area around Camelback and 101? Would this be a good area for a single female to live? Any advice on apartments would be greatly appreciated. With gas prices what they are she would like to limit the commute needed. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,131,212 times
it's not bad - starting to develop - if you go east of the 101 you will start getting into some different neighborhoods

if I were in that district, young and single I would look at living around Westgate off Glendale & the 101 or Northern & 101 (once again hugging the highway) or heading on up a little to the arrowhead mall area where there are a lot of apartments, shopping, bars, restaurants, etc ..... both locations would probably have a max commute of 20-30 minutes anywhere in that district

Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 AM

674 posts, read 2,543,521 times
I second the vote for the Arrowhead area.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,424,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisamist View Post
My daughter has accepted a teaching position with the Pendergast school district and will be moving to Phoenix within the next month. Can anyone tell us about the area around Camelback and 101? Would this be a good area for a single female to live? Any advice on apartments would be greatly appreciated. With gas prices what they are she would like to limit the commute needed. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Nisamist, for god sakes, where ever she ends up, make sure she drives around there and checks out the area very thoroughly before she moves in to the place! or at least negotiate with landlord for 6 months lease so she can get da hell outta dodge, if necessary

Old 06-20-2008, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,414 times
Actually she is visiting there now, but there are so many apartments to look at I was hoping to narrow down the list. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM

have her drive up by bell road and the 101 - so many complexes up there - some are within walking distance to bars or the cheapest of cab fares - which is always nice as well

it's really busy along bell - but the surrounding neighborhoods aren't that bad

Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM

71 posts, read 210,118 times
I accepted a teaching job in that district too. Although, I'm not from Phoenix and have visited only twice I would suggest North of Bell Rd. and the 101 for convenience and a better area.
I'm going to be commuting and probably regretting it. Which school will she be teaching at? (If you don't feel comfortable posting you can send me a direct message) Who knows maybe we will be teaching at the same school.
Oh yah, Pendergast district office gave me a bunch of info on places to rent around the area.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM

as long as you aren't far north of the 101 your commute should be relatively easy - enjoy

Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,207,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Nisamist, for god sakes, where ever she ends up, make sure she drives around there and checks out the area very thoroughly before she moves in to the place! or at least negotiate with landlord for 6 months lease so she can get da hell outta dodge, if necessary
I made that mistake when I first moved to Phoenix. All of these apartments look like resorts on rent.com because they will show you some shot of the pool with a palm tree in the background. In reality, a lot of those places are dumps. Make sure to drive around and see the area.

Make sure to negotiate with managers and ask for 2 months off in rent if you sign a long term deal. There are a lot of incentives that apartments offer but won't disclose unless you ask about them. And whatever you do, don't feel pressured to sign with a certain complex. Apartment managers will use pressure sales tactics to make it seem like there is only one apartment available and the other complexes in the area are terrible.

And another piece of advice, drive around the complex and check out the neighbors and their cars. An apartment can look like a resort and your neighbors can be complete gangbangers and trashy people. The neighbors make a big impact on your stay at any apartment. You might have the nicest apartment but if your neighbors are scary, it can make your experience miserable. Lastly, drive around apartments at night. During the day, an apartment can seem safe and quiet. Go at night when the neighbors get home. Assess how loud it is. See if kids are hanging out in the parking lot and riding their skateboards everywhere. See if people are getting wasted near the pool and being loud. You would be suprised. A really nice looking apartment can have terrible management and it can be really rowdy. A less spectacular looking one is managed well and is quiet. My advice is to keep away from apartments with large student populations as they tend to be loud, up late and students will steal your parking spot. I don't mean to sound dull but you want your home to be quiet and safe. You can have fun elsewhere

Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 PM

all good advise - also get "teacher discounts" - there is a discount for about anything if you ask for it

this helped us get upper floor overlooking a courtyard for standard pricing on top of the other incentives a few years back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: