Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 33,742 times

Advertisements

I am looking into a possibly move to Tempe and am wondering a few things. For example, how is the overall state of the economy in this area? Phoenix? Also, my friend just got an apartment (which I might move into) located at S Mill Rd, just about 1/10th of a mile south of US 60. Is this an OK area? I'm not looking to move into an area with high crime, random violence, or gangs. Is this a concern for this area? I'm moving from the armpit of America (suburban Detroit) and basically there are no jobs here, so I am considering relocating.

Any help or opinions would help immensly in my decision! Thanks guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,076 times
I've lived on the stretch of mill from broadway to baseline for three years, and I can tell you that it's certainly not gangland, but it's not a quaint little area either. There is a ton of crime all along Mill ranging from car thefts to break-ins to armed robbery to occassional shootings and even sexual assaults. Property crime will be the biggest issue, as all of my neighbors have experienced it in some way, be it vandalism or theft. All of that said, I came from a very sheltered Phoenix suburb, so it's especially noticeable to me (though it doesn't help when i've had my car broken into and my roommate's car stolen etc.). Just last week I came home to find a threatening letter posted on every door of the neighborhood by a local resident saying that the theif(s) who broke into the letter writer's home should rethink their line of work before they got shot in the act.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 13,137 times
Hi. I hope you haven't moved yet. I would advise you choose another city or better yet, state. The economy here is horrible. Yes, it is bad everywhere, but the cost of housing here has skyrocketed over the last few years (more than other places) and salaries have not changed with the times. To find anything above 10 dollars would be a miracle.

Also, I everything the guy in the last post said is completely accurate. There are lots of dangerous gangs and murders in Phoenix, not so much in Tempe. However, Tempe, and Mill Avenue in particular has one of the highest percentages of car theft. The other guy forgot to mention all the bums that hang out on Mill Ave. all day and night, begging, stealing, smelly and high....and there are a lot. Another quite discusting point to mention is the huge pigeon problem the whole street has. There are lots of trees of both side and the sidewalks are literally covered in bird poop. If you park you car there for a half hour, you need a car wash and scraper to clean your hood and roof, no kidding. ASU is credited for being the number one party school in the US, so if you like that, your cool. However, now Tempe is a very unsafe place for girls for assults and rape. Lastly, Pheonix and the surrounding area has the highest rated of identity theft of anywhere in the US. My husband used to be a cop in the area so if you don't believe the stats, do some research.

We are on this site to find a better life somewhere else. Please, read the other postings, they are mostly negative. One more thing, for AT LEAST three months out of the year it is so unmercifully hot that the only things to do outside of your home for activities is to get a gym membership (two hours) or walk around the many, many malls. That gets really old.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
wow - is that overblown or what.............

alexx - if you have a friend here, come for a visit and check it out for yourself

the economy is a little down, but a lot of it depends on your line of work - there are still some pretty good fields with pretty good pay - i know people working at walgreens and safeway making $10 an hour and laborers making $12-$14/hr - if you have more desired skills for the region you'll find more desired pay

let your buddy get settled then come down for a week - look at employers, places to live, etc

Old 06-30-2008, 05:13 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,024 times
I agree with Finger Laker, the other post was overly negative. And I would like to ask if her husband was a cop,was he making $10 per hour as she suggested that's all anyone (except for a miracle) is making. I think Phx cops get paid pretty well, as do our fire fighters.

The area of S. Mill Ave. is not the best. However, I could live in an apt in that area for a while until I saved a bit of money, learned about the Phx area, got a decent job--then I would move to something nicer.

I'll tell you my opinion of the negative posters here on this forum (and there are plenty of them): It appears to me that they have moved to the Phx area and for one reason or the other have not been successful, or perhaps they overbought a house and have had that house forclosed upon. Instead of realizing their part in these admitedly sad circumstances they blame Phx and "warn" everyone what a hell hole it is.

There is plenty of opportunity in this area. Like anything you need hard work, luck and more hard work. Even a minimumly employed person working say, as a billing clerk for $12.00 per hour could get a nice apartment in a safe part of town if they had a room-mate. This person could go to school part time or on the internet to further their education and get better job opportunities. People do this all the time.

If you have a degree in a field that is big here in the valley (medical, marketing, etc.) or if you are a talented sales person you could do extremely well here. Unlike Detroit we are growing and people are still moving here. There are pockets of hard-scabble, ghetto, rough, unsafe areas. Most of the Phx area is pretty nicely kept up. Even South Scottsdale which is a bit run-down, is still a nice little area where people are trying to improve their houses and are friendly. There are huge suburban areas that are very safe and kid friendly...even downtown Phx is getting people moving in and there is a nice vibe going on down there.

So, come check it out...stay with your friend and see what kind of job you can get and take it from there. I don't know how old you are, but what could it hurt? If you are unhappy with this place in 6 months you can move to another city.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,076 times
Just want to clarify i'm not saying Phoenix from Detroit is a bad move, necessarily, just that if you aren't looking for crime, i'd avoid most of Tempe.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead09 View Post
Hi. I hope you haven't moved yet. I would advise you choose another city or better yet, state. The economy here is horrible. Yes, it is bad everywhere, but the cost of housing here has skyrocketed over the last few years (more than other places) and salaries have not changed with the times. To find anything above 10 dollars would be a miracle.

Also, I everything the guy in the last post said is completely accurate. There are lots of dangerous gangs and murders in Phoenix, not so much in Tempe. However, Tempe, and Mill Avenue in particular has one of the highest percentages of car theft. The other guy forgot to mention all the bums that hang out on Mill Ave. all day and night, begging, stealing, smelly and high....and there are a lot. Another quite discusting point to mention is the huge pigeon problem the whole street has. There are lots of trees of both side and the sidewalks are literally covered in bird poop. If you park you car there for a half hour, you need a car wash and scraper to clean your hood and roof, no kidding. ASU is credited for being the number one party school in the US, so if you like that, your cool. However, now Tempe is a very unsafe place for girls for assults and rape. Lastly, Pheonix and the surrounding area has the highest rated of identity theft of anywhere in the US. My husband used to be a cop in the area so if you don't believe the stats, do some research.

We are on this site to find a better life somewhere else. Please, read the other postings, they are mostly negative. One more thing, for AT LEAST three months out of the year it is so unmercifully hot that the only things to do outside of your home for activities is to get a gym membership (two hours) or walk around the many, many malls. That gets really old.

LOL...Geez Smeghead, sounds like you're ready to move yesterday! just curious, where have you lived previously and where would you like to move to?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 PM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
I'm happening to move to Tempe in the beggining of next year myself.
My question is. Is Tempe a laid-back community or is it a wild/party place?

Also does one need a car to get around Tempe? (Its kind of crucial to have a car in Phoenix)
Though in Tempe. Are the areas walkable to an extent?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
When I was a teenager, I lived in Tempe without a car. It is possible. I lived near a busline and had no problems. The bus ran every half hour back then. They also have the rail system going in that will go from Tempe to Phoenix. Its hot outside, but I did it for three years and I am still here

Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 PM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
you need to get a life.

Moderator cut: deleted orphaned quote

amatrine - thanks

Last edited by aj661; 08-08-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: offensive quoted material removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area