U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,534,786 times
We have plantation shutters in our bedrooms, that sure helps if sun is a problem. I never thought the sun was a problem other than it being bright. I just use sunglasses for that problem. You just have to make adjustments. AZ. is just so lovely if you accomodate things to your liking then I think it won't bother you so much! I hope not anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 04:14 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,138,873 times
The sun never bothers me or anyone I know but I do like when it gets cloudy and rains. It is a welcomed break and I know people enjoy that too...even if I don't so much. This last winter, when it was very cloudy and rainy from Dec. - Mar. (Phoenix standards), some days felt like Seattle and I was feeling a little down, LOL, I just don't like day after day of grey skies. That to me is horrible.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 PM

238 posts, read 340,734 times
That stretch of rain that you are referring to last winter was still absolutely nothing by any other city's standards. In fact, one of the things that gets me the most about Phoenix weather is that it seems like when it does finally rain, 50% of the time it is still sunny out while the rain falls. For me, finally getting rain and yet still not getting relief from the sun is super disheartening. That said, it was fun to see A-mountain in Tempe turn all green again, even if it was only for a day or two.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Status: "All my good friends have 4 legs." (set 12 hours ago)

2,961 posts, read 3,257,647 times
Ditto here. I am also from Chicago and I truly truly miss those crash and boom days and nights and pouring rain for hours and hours. Loved to hear the rain on the roof at night. Rarely happens here. And Phoenix needs more trees in the parking lots, as well as some type of Covered bus stops with AC. Pity those poor people waiting outside for a bus with NO SHADE!!! What are they thinking here? Some people walk around with umbrellas in the hot sun, but I doubt it helps much. Very poor planning. And with all this sunshine, where are the solar panels????????????

Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM

27,913 posts, read 20,452,269 times
I dunno, I think the heat beats waking up every morning facing all that dreary weather and snow and the cold, scraping off your windshieled, driving to go to work slipping and sliding and crashing, plus shoveling the driveway and walkway,and having to wear all those heavy cold weather clothes.
With the heat you are flexible to do anything at anytime with a minimum of effort, plus your arthritis pain goes away compared to the cold weather pain, and you don't have to buy so much arthritis medicine etc etc.
Man I love the heat, bring it on.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,532,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
in my opinion, isn't the heat; heat exists in every city in the country at some point during the year. For me, the biggest problem with Phoenix is that the sun NEVER goes away. A year or two ago when we went from October to April without seeing a single drop of rain or even any kind of significant cloud cover, I seriously couldn't take it anymore. It was difficult getting out of bed in the morning just to face another day of the sun blazing down. I know everyone loves sunny weather, but man, there IS such a thing as too much sun.

Anyone else out there ever feel this way about the Valley?
Yes, this is why I keep my house dark. I have dark blue drapes in my bedroom, which I almost replaced when I moved here. Thank God I did not. The heat doesn't help either.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 PM

19,207 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I dunno, I think the heat beats waking up every morning facing all that dreary weather and snow and the cold, scraping off your windshieled, driving to go to work slipping and sliding and crashing, plus shoveling the driveway and walkway,and having to wear all those heavy cold weather clothes
Put it this way... snow doesnt fall every day... not even close, lets not exaggerate. On average we get about 5-10 snowfalls between late November and early March. Thats not bad. Especially considering that in a month or two Ill be back wearing shorts, sitting by the swimming pool, etc. And after that I look forward to changing colors, the smell of fall, the cool temps (while you guys still suffer with 80/90/100 degrees). And just think... last summer I only ran the A/C 14 times. You?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,483,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
And Phoenix needs more trees in the parking lots, as well as some type of Covered bus stops with AC. Pity those poor people waiting outside for a bus with NO SHADE!!! What are they thinking here? Some people walk around with umbrellas in the hot sun, but I doubt it helps much. Very poor planning. And with all this sunshine, where are the solar panels????????????
I completely agree. A while ago on another forum, I posted the same concern about the lack of shade in the Phoenix area, and the responses I received were unbelievable ... such as: "This is a desert. Why do you want to turn this place into something it isn't?" Occasionally, I received the general simpleton response of, "Why don't you move?" It almost reminded me of "Blazing Saddles": "Shade?! We don't need no stinkin' shade!"

You might be able to see by some of my other postings that I'm certainly no tree hugger ... but I don't see why shade trees in such a hot, sunny place like this are even an issue. I recently went up to PV Mall and couldn't believe what I saw: all the nice shade trees were cut down ... and in JUNE of all times! The LAST thing Phoenix needs is more sun & less shade! I'm just glad I live in an older, established neighborhood where there is plentiful shade.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM

399 posts, read 181,737 times
Phoenix isn't for ******* who scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Put it this way... snow doesnt fall every day... not even close, lets not exaggerate. On average we get about 5-10 snowfalls between late November and early March. Thats not bad. Especially considering that in a month or two Ill be back wearing shorts, sitting by the swimming pool, etc. And after that I look forward to changing colors, the smell of fall, the cool temps (while you guys still suffer with 80/90/100 degrees). And just think... last summer I only ran the A/C 14 times. You?
::Off-topic:: yes, four-season weather is mucho nice.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 PM

58 posts, read 98,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

You obviously don't play golf, tennis or have ever surfed. Phoenix is NOT for you. Enjoy your windy cold winters. I will be 5 hours away from Del Mar where I grew up. Stick to the Chicago board.

Last edited by CA_Dreaming; 06-25-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area