Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 AM

54,479 posts, read 33,786,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
in my opinion, isn't the heat; heat exists in every city in the country at some point during the year. For me, the biggest problem with Phoenix is that the sun NEVER goes away. A year or two ago when we went from October to April without seeing a single drop of rain or even any kind of significant cloud cover, I seriously couldn't take it anymore. It was difficult getting out of bed in the morning just to face another day of the sun blazing down. I know everyone loves sunny weather, but man, there IS such a thing as too much sun.

Anyone else out there ever feel this way about the Valley?
What do you expect? It's a desert!

We do get rain, but not as much as other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:39 AM

30 posts, read 92,068 times
Yea I am not a big fan of Az but im stuck here for about another yr and half. Too much sun, too much heat and one of the most scenically unatractive states out there

Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,170,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprty View Post
Yea I am not a big fan of Az but im stuck here for about another yr and half. Too much sun, too much heat and one of the most scenically unatractive states out there
What?!?!

I disagree with your last statement. AZ has a lot of great scenery!! Some places are pretty nasty, but there isnt a state out there that doesnt have areas w/undesireable scenery. Even then, what is unattractive to some is gorgeous to others.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:49 AM

3,995 posts, read 9,987,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprty View Post
LOL, thats the first time I have ever heard that. To each his own...where are you from? I'm from Washington (mostly ) and think AZ is one of the most beautiful states in the country and one of the most climatically varied states in the country as well. Alpine meadows to extreme desert (far hotter than the Phoenix area) regions.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:25 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,188,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What a problem! I've got many problems with AZ, but the sun is certainly not one of them.
The sun IS a problem here ... especially to those who are constantly out in it. The problem is that many are too ignorant to realize the long term consequences. Arizona has some of the nation's highest skin cancer rates caused by the intensity of the sun. Melanoma is a common form of skin cancer that can be deadly if not treated in time. Sun block helps ... but if you're an outdoors type of person, even the best sunscreen lotion isn't enough.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:55 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,189,947 times
Quote:
Yes. Reverse SAD.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:23 AM

99 posts, read 385,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
What do you expect? It's a desert!

We do get rain, but not as much as other cities.
I was thinking the same thing my goodness people it is a Desert I wouldn't go on the Alaska Forum & say man don't you people get tired of the snow

Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,052,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin4sun View Post
I was thinking the same thing my goodness people it is a Desert I wouldn't go on the Alaska Forum & say man don't you people get tired of the snow
ha ha, that's a great point! I guess someone would have to assume if you live here you must like the sun. I don't think some people realize how much sun we get. Even when our nick name is "Valley of the Sun". It really is a valley with sun, and more sun, and sun, sun, sun!!!
I don't really check the forecast because I know 90% of the time it will be,
Mon. sunny and hot
tues. sunny and hot
wed. sunny and hot
thur. sunny and hot
fri. sunny and hot
sat. sunny and hot
sun. sunny and hot
mon. scattered clouds, mostly sunny and hot. lol don't let this last one give you any false hope. This just means there will be one or two white puffy things floating by at some point during the "sunny and hot" day. No cause for alarm. lol Oh, and that silly 10% chance of rain is just our weather man getting bored. Just ignore it, it means nothing.

The funniest part of monsoon is how excited the weather man gets. We have false tornado warnings and alerts for hail that are one cm up from rain. You will have a fun time watching his excitement. Poor thing, you would think a hurricane was approaching. lol Meanwhile, all the kids are out playing in it. "get in the basement", what basement?

Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,946,327 times
Sprty, AZ is scenically unattractive? While, yes, there are some large ugly areas, the state is mostly stunning and varied. A larger area of forested land than Minnesota, a larger mountainous area than Switzerland. Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Red Rock country, come on!!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,231,125 times
Quote:
in my opinion, isn't the heat; heat exists in every city in the country at some point during the year. For me, the biggest problem with Phoenix is that the sun NEVER goes away. A year or two ago when we went from October to April without seeing a single drop of rain or even any kind of significant cloud cover, I seriously couldn't take it anymore. It was difficult getting out of bed in the morning just to face another day of the sun blazing down. I know everyone loves sunny weather, but man, there IS such a thing as too much sun.

I shared the same sentiments two years ago until I went to Seattle and it was gloomy and cloudy the entire time. Man, after 2 days, I missed the sun. For me, it's psychologically uplifting and it's much easier to get out of bed and start you day when the sun is out.

The desert description is inflated too. When I was in Cali, I heard people describe Phoenix as a desert and nothing more. I was seriously expecting it to look like Dubai or Cairo in which it's just sand dunes surrounding a city with no folliage or landscape. I couldn't have been more wrong. Phoenix actually has some very nice landscaped areas, mountainous and hill regions, lakes (albeit tiny) etc. In fact, it didn't look any different from most areas of Los Angelas that aren't near the beach like Anaheim. It made me realize that some people have this need to exaggerate the desert aspect of Phoenix to put it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area