Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Looks like a jellyfish.
That's what the artist even said, LOL! She said; "whether it looks like a cactus flower, monsoon thunderhead, uterine, or a jellyfish..." LOL "art should make you think and is often controversial." She was right! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,204 times
Roosevelt... do you have a copy of this image? We would liek to use it on the T&C website.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:37 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,543 times
Well this thread was resurrected from the dead like the Phoenix bird being discussed.

I missed all the pre-construction hub-bub but saw it completed not too long ago in person and had seen it being used on the informational brochures on Downtown. I seriously had no idea what to think about it. I thought it was a carnival ride or something and didn't give it a second thought until I read this thread. Any more updates and opinions now that its completed?

Now that I know its art, I do find the indefinable element somewhat thought provoking but as for a citywide icon... I'm not sure thats going to be a blip on the international radar as other city landmarks around the world have done.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM

This is the completed piece at night. It was taken from my camera phone, so the details aren't very sharp. Janet Echelmann is a world renowned artist who creates these type of flying sculptures for some of the world's most important points of pride. I am surprised the City of Phoenix even knew about her. They made a good decision to employ her services for this art piece whether or not you like the look of the thing:

Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
This is the completed piece at night. It was taken from my camera phone, so the details aren't very sharp. Janet Echelmann is a world renowned artist who creates these type of flying sculptures for some of the world's most important points of pride. I am surprised the City of Phoenix even knew about her. They made a good decision to employ her services for this art piece whether or not you like the look of the thing:
Thats a cool picture and you won't hear me bashing Phx for trying to do something creative. I had seen it in the distance but not really close up...

In the daytime from a distance I was guessing on some sort of trapeze net, or some type of carnival jumper, or one of those rides where you strap yourself in and get twirled around. Maybe a preventative screen to protect you from bird crap.

Anyway, it looks a lot nicer lit up at night from close up as seen in your photo then when you see it during the daytime from a distance. It didn't call my name though when I saw it from further away, but your photo has me wanting to visit and re-evaluate next time I'm bored.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Thats a cool picture and you won't hear me bashing Phx for trying to do something creative. I had seen it in the distance but not really close up...

In the daytime from a distance I was guessing on some sort of trapeze net, or some type of carnival jumper, or one of those rides where you strap yourself in and get twirled around. Maybe a preventative screen to protect you from bird crap.

Anyway, it looks a lot nicer lit up at night from close up as seen in your photo then when you see it during the daytime from a distance. It didn't call my name though when I saw it from further away, but your photo has me wanting to visit and re-evaluate next time I'm bored.
I am not a big fan of the sculpture during the day. It looks interesting, cool, and different but "plain" during the day. At night it is a whole other story. I understand the artist's need to use the rings at the top; to stand up to winds and possible strong monsoon storms, but I think it would be nicer during the day if it was more flowing and not ringed at the top.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
It looks like a used condom.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
LOL! I will never be able to see anything else now!!! Thanks for that

LOLOLOL

Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Ewww; if a used one looks like that when finished, might be wise to have it checked out...LOL!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:59 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
Quote:
LOL that's what i thought!! i think its a poc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area