Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 53,242 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm planning my move out to Phoenix in August and I'm trying to decide which is the better route. Mapquest, google, and yahoo can't seem to agree on whether it's faster to take I-40 (through VA,TN, AR) all the way out or to take I-70 to I-40 (through OH, IN, MO). They seem to take about the same amount of time with maybe 30 mins difference. On one hand the southern route seems simpler but on the other hand in Aug going north might be a little cooler. Anyone made the drive from the East Coast and have any opinions? Thanks for the help! I'm really looking forward to the move and being settled in my new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
When my father was sent by the Army from Ft. Eustis, VA to Ft. Lewis, WA (he made the trip many times from different East Coast bases) he took I-40 all the way to Memphis before heading Northwest to St. Louis. So I'd say 40 all the way to I-17.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM

133 posts, read 376,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDC2PHX View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning my move out to Phoenix in August and I'm trying to decide which is the better route.
I would go the cooler, northern route.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM

824 posts, read 2,335,853 times
I have driven from Virginia/DC to Phoenix using both routes and I-40 to Flagstaff was much better for me. I connected from I-81 to I-40 in Tennessee. It just seemed like an easier (in terms of traffic issues in the metro areas that you pass through), smoother (although road maintenance quality varies), and slightly more interesting drive.

I also found that inexpensive (but clean) motels right off the interstate in rural areas were the best bet. No planning ahead, no ending up on some sketchy street in an urban area like West Memphis, AR, and low cost. And then you can tell people that you spent the night in Bucksnort, Tennessee, or some colorfully named spot in Oklahoma.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 53,242 times
Thanks everyone, AAA sent us the northern route and my mom wants to check out her old Alma Mater, Denison, on the way out so I guess we'll be going North...although, Bucksnort, TN does sound like a lot of fun!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
I agree with fcorrales80 and azjack as well------------this coming from a Wash DC native (who came to Arizona by way of Calif many years ago).

Old 06-27-2008, 04:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDC2PHX View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning my move out to Phoenix in August and I'm trying to decide which is the better route. Mapquest, google, and yahoo can't seem to agree on whether it's faster to take I-40 (through VA,TN, AR) all the way out or to take I-70 to I-40 (through OH, IN, MO). They seem to take about the same amount of time with maybe 30 mins difference. On one hand the southern route seems simpler but on the other hand in Aug going north might be a little cooler. Anyone made the drive from the East Coast and have any opinions? Thanks for the help! I'm really looking forward to the move and being settled in my new city.
I did the I-40 route starting in Fredericksburg. I took Rt 3 to 20 to Charlottesville, then I-64 to I-81 to I-40. As you know, it sounds like a lot, but it's no big deal--you'll be out of VA in a few hours. The Rt 20 part is beautiful, and it's not as fast as an interstate, but more direct, so the time is a toss-up. Alternately you could easily drive over to I-81 in WV and go from there, which is probably what I'd do if I had left directly from the District.

What I did was:

First day (2:30pm - 9pm) Northern VA to Knoxville, TN
Second day (9:30am - 9pm) Knoxville to Oklahoma City
Third day (9am - 7pm) Oklahoma City to Flagstaff, AZ.

The third day could easily spread out to end in Phoenix for two more hours of driving, but I wanted to stay overnight in Flagstaff.

You get 3 "free" hours on the drive because of time zones.

As far as I-70 goes, I'd avoid it, having had too many problems and snarls in the past (not to mention tolls). Comparatively, the drive is very easy on 64/81 to TN, then I-40. There is some mountain driving, but not like I-70, plus the road is nicer, less congested, with less cities and metro areas to deal with. I think there's another toll stretch in OK. As far as heat, it might be a LITTLE cooler on the northern route, but not much. It'll be hot everywhere once you're out of the mountains.

Keep in mind, once you get halfway into Tennessee, that's the end of seeing anything until New Mexico, but the northern route on I-70 won't be any better.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,848 times
Default did this drive

Go up the northern route. Dont go through TX. Its long and boring. Or stayin DC cause Phoenix in Aug. sucks

Old 06-28-2008, 11:08 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmangione View Post
Go up the northern route. Dont go through TX. Its long and boring. Or stayin DC cause Phoenix in Aug. sucks
Wash DC in August is as unpleasant as Phx IMHO.........this coming for a DC native.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmangione View Post
For me it's a toss up between summer in DC and summer in Phoenix. Summer in DC is "cooler" but so intolerably humid you can't dream of spending more than a couple minutes outside without being drenched.

Then there are the mosquitos...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area