Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 AM

88 posts, read 343,742 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean to start a fight but I'd like to mention he is coming from the New York City area. Not to minimize crime but I think he probably seen and heard it all.

Gilbert mom- Is that the zip for Gilbert? What kind of town is Gilbert?? And basically he is looking for a decent commute to ASU in Tempe. I just figured by looking at homes online that the ones in Phoenix proper looked nice but might be cheaper than in outlying suburbs. But that is why I'm here. To ask the people who drive the streets, shop at the stores, and live in the neighborhoods and/or subdivisions.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:16 AM

46 posts, read 139,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
You're full of it and you know it!!! The stats I'm "pulling" off the internet are PD and FBI stats. I think I'll listen to them before you, someone obviously trying to make the area look worse than it is. The dangerous parts of Phoenix are the west and south side. Downtown is far from being dangerous. I live downtown, 6th ave and Roosevelt for over a year, never heard a gun shot, never seen police in the neighborhoods, and have NEVER seen anything on the news about crime downtown. There was one murder so far this year downtown. It happened at a night club after they closed and may be drug related (again, people coming in from other regions). I don't think the FBI has an agenda to make Phoenix look better than another city, that's just ridiculous. But I do think you have an agenda.

You've been shot at and all that and haven't reported it to the police or someone else didn't??? Come on, absolute b.s. buddy.

you have never seen anything on the news about crime in the 85003 zip code? you must be watching sesame street news!!
I suppose if you live in a gated community, and only leave it by car, it is pretty safe; but if you spend any time on the streets it is not. I don't see why it makes any difference where the criminals live (coming from other areas????? who cares). Crime in 85003 is crime in 85003.
while I did report being shot at, and having my car stolen, and at least one of the burglaries, many of the others I did not. Hey, I have a date with an old friend tonight, can I borrow your rose colored glasses???

Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
nyc, I have property at 85015 and when we lived there, we had a credit card stolen out of the mail box and a check stolen out of the mail, we changed the mail box. That was the only problem we had, it was a big problem cause we don't know about it. It was a brand new account. We loved it there and all the people we lived around as well. Location was best for us!

We live at 85019 now and have no problem at all here. Absolutely love it here. I just love being in the city. You may just drive around the neighborhoods you are cosidering and see what your preference is. Especially the noise and and commute factors. I absolutely have to have quiet and have to not be able to hear my neighbors and yet be in the city, so we kept visiting our home over and over to make sure it was right before we decided.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank c. View Post
you have never seen anything on the news about crime in the 85003 zip code? you must be watching sesame street news!!
I suppose if you live in a gated community, and only leave it by car, it is pretty safe; but if you spend any time on the streets it is not. I don't see why it makes any difference where the criminals live (coming from other areas????? who cares). Crime in 85003 is crime in 85003.
while I did report being shot at, and having my car stolen, and at least one of the burglaries, many of the others I did not. Hey, I have a date with an old friend tonight, can I borrow your rose colored glasses???
LOL. I think you are pulling stories out of your backside dude. I live downtown in a historic brick building. I walk everywhere and walk my dog with my neighbors even at 2 am. Nothing happens here, please don't try to tell me that FBI crime statistics are not real and stop making up stories.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:40 PM

70 posts, read 211,317 times
Prinny, we live in 85015, and we also had a check stolen out of the mail a few years ago. Maybe we were hit by the same thief/thieves! Anyway, this area seems to be improving a lot. We are surrounded by nice people, and the area is very quiet.

We came close to buying a new home out in Surprise recently but have decided to stay where we're at for now. The price of gas has gotten so high, and here we're within walking distance to the light rail and close to everything we need.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie53 View Post
Prinny, we live in 85015, and we also had a check stolen out of the mail a few years ago. Maybe we were hit by the same thief/thieves! Anyway, this area seems to be improving a lot. We are surrounded by nice people, and the area is very quiet.

We came close to buying a new home out in Surprise recently but have decided to stay where we're at for now. The price of gas has gotten so high, and here we're within walking distance to the light rail and close to everything we need.
Melanie, I forgot about the Surprise move! We must chat! 85015 we just love our place there and will not let it go! Talk about great location, I used to walk my dogs everywhere when we lived there. I like that area a lot. The light rail is going to be going right near our place and the bus stops are right there too! I used to ride them as well. I learned how to do that w/ one of my neighbors when I lived there. Fry's was right there and Wal Mart right up the street!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:38 AM

11 posts, read 39,595 times
85255, 85259 and 85258 are nice

Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Downtown is one of the safest areas in the Valley, having among the lowest murder,assault, robbery, and car theft rates in the state (I think there were 2 homicides downtown in 2007 and they involved people who came into the area with an intent to commit another crime). Also, in downtown Phoenix personal crime risk is low, which is a given since this area has a huge police presence being near multiple headquarters for various law enforcement agencies.

"Phoenix is safe by big-city standards. Taking Phoenix's growing population into account, the crime rate per 100,000 decreased by 31% between 1996 and 2005. This represents a 31% decrease in the property crime rate and 27-percent decrease in the violent crime rate per 100,000."

Outside of downtown, futherwest and east and south...its a more dangerous.
Ha, HA, HA! Based on the above, I feel safer already!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:07 AM

8 posts, read 23,821 times
It would be very easy for you to log on to the websites for Scottsdale, Phoenix or any cities' police department here and they can tell you exactly where they are having the most problems with gangs or drugs or violence.
Type it in google.com. You can even email the Scottsdale Police on their site and leave 'feedback' emails. Here's a crime data Police site. Crime Maps

Here's another Crime Analysis
I've noticed 'narc' cars on my street in Scottsdale Ranch now and then but it's not a big deal. No shooting or anything. Lots of retired people here, no gangs.
Here's another.
Crime Statistics for Phoenix - Maricopa County Crime Data
Bad areas in Phoenix are McDowell 20th - 10th St and south of McDowell to all along Roosevelt. I lived around there and anything south of McDowell was pretty rough 45 years ago. My nice neighborhood is gone (McDowell 18th st) and is a dirt lot. Very depressing to see that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area