Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

Well, here's a new one. I heard this on the news this morning and have heard it before, but never on a TV news show. We are being called "the sanctuary city" cause we SHELTER undocumented illegals here. We give them water to cross the desert. We don't prosecute those that make it over the border, we just return them. We pick them up from street corners to do our landscaping jobs. We have a reputation now of inviting these people to enjoy our amenities in Phoenix !!!

What do you think? Has anyone else heard this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 AM

133 posts, read 376,852 times
Awfully neighborly of you. Mexico is our neighbor. Love you neighbor as thyself. Are you as concerned about those evil Canadians who break the law by overstaying their SIX MONTH visas every year? Remember-- the thing that concerns you the most is that they are breaking the law!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
"Sanctuary City" is a phrase invented by angry voices in the media. It has no official status, and the City of Phoenix has never declared itself a sanctuary. In fact, due to recent changes in police procedure, Phoenix is probably less forgiving of illegal immigrants than most other major cities.

Instead of framing the conversation in terms of oversimplified labels like "Sanctuary City," why not bring up the specific issues that concern you and initiate a conversation over on the immigration board?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
Awfully neighborly of you. Mexico is our neighbor. Love you neighbor as thyself. Are you as concerned about those evil Canadians who break the law by overstaying their SIX MONTH visas every year? Remember-- the thing that concerns you the most is that they are breaking the law!
Well, until our neighbors love our country and our LAWS, and love the land instead of trashing it and leaving tons of waste on their illegal journey here, then no, I dont love law-breaking neighbors. Do you?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 AM

133 posts, read 376,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, until our neighbors love our country and our LAWS, and love the land instead of trashing it and leaving tons of waste on their illegal journey here, then no, I dont love law-breaking neighbors. Do you?
Do you get to pick and choose which lawbreakers to go after? Canadians regularly over stay their six month visas and brag about it all the time. Should Sheriff Joe arrest those lawbreakers and deport them? Just wondering...

Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There is no need for an extremist or radical view toward immigration. I can just as easily indicate several examples of local government and companies who hire illegals as a form of cheap labor. The same people who bash illegals hire them to save expenses including the government. You think these people have it easy. They don't come here to live the high life. These people come here and expect little. They work much harder than you or I for much lower wages just so they can put some food on the table and have some shelter. They still pay taxes and on top of that, they have to take crap from the people who want to use them as scapegoats for their problems.

I'll be honest, I prefer illegals but not because I feel sorry for them. In my experience, Illegals are much more respectful and better workers than their American counterparts. They don't give you attitude when you ask them to do something. If you go to a fast food restaurant, they don't complain about you asking them for extra sauce or if you make a change to your order. I hate how American waiters expect a 20% tip even if they provide horrible or average service. They feel they are entitled to that as if its a part of their income regardless if they actually provide good service. 20 years ago, I felt waiters actually tried to impress you and give good service. Now, they just act like they don't care and are just rummaging through life

When I deal with illegals, it reminds of an older time in America when the customer was always right. They are polite and respectful and do what they were told. I personally can't stand this new generation of American workers in the service industry. They give you attitude and act like they are too good for their job. They have no work ethic and feel its their right to be rude and grumpy.

Immigration needs to be controlled but I don't agree with demonizing these people and calling them disrespectful terms. Yes, technically they are breaking the law but when I think of a lawbreaker, I think of a thief or murder and these people are not that.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Do you get to pick and choose which lawbreakers to go after? Canadians regularly over stay their six month visas and brag about it all the time. Should Sheriff Joe arrest those lawbreakers and deport them? Just wondering...
Absolutely. If youre here and not supposed to be, youre breaking the law, regardless of where you come from.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There is no need for an extremist or radical view toward immigration. I can just as easily indicate several examples of local government and companies who hire illegals as a form of cheap labor. The same people who bash illegals hire them to save expenses including the government. You think these people have it easy. They don't come here to live the high life. These people come here and expect little
First off, my views arent radical, you need to know what a radical viewpoint is. And deporting illegals is not radical or extremist, not in any sense of the word(s). Secondly, I understand their plight, and I do sympathize with them on that part, I really do. However, there are still laws that need to be followed, regardless. And of course they dont come here to expect the highlife, thats a given. They do come here to expect a lot though. They expect us to pay for their babies (which we do). They expect us to pay for their health-care (which we do). They expect us to learn Spanish, too. I cant tell you how many times Ive been expected to speak Spanish, its ridiculous! Are those not expectations?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
Quote:

of course! i don't care where the illegals come from, if they can't respect this nations laws with the very first thing on their road to living here they should indeed be arrested! It just happens that in the southwest a majority of illegals are from Mexico, Florida has Cubans, and I'm sure new york has Canadians.

To quote a former guatemalan co-worker of mine "screw these illegal <explitive>s! I paid a ton of money and spent years getting everything in order to legally become a citizen, and i think all the illegals should be arrested, deported and let them do it the right way" she was arguing with a former mexican who attended the rally downtown a few years ago, their debate almost came to blows.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Quote:
GET REAL!

The problem is on our southern border. Canada is a first world country. Canadians are english speaking and middle class. Canada only has 31 million people (less than CA) and a low birth rate. Mexico has 140 million people and is exploding due to high birthrate. Mexico is a third world country mired in poverty, disease and corruption. And those problems follow the illegals when they come north – don’t kid yourself

Canadians are not driving public hospitals into bankruptcy.
Canadian women aren't popping out anchor babies like rabbits.
Canadians that overstay their visas don't number in the millions like undocumented Mexicans. And they are not joining gangs and committing crimes.
Canadians don't claim that part of the United States is rightfully theirs.
This is easy and the list could go on.

You don't need to wonder anymore - there is your explanation.

This isn’t personal – I do not know you. There is just too much at stake affecting the future of our country to accommodate intellectually dishonest PC driven agendas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area