U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM

8,999 posts, read 9,295,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yeah - i think with most places, here specifically, that drivers make bad traffic

how many times has one lane on the highway come to a complete stop while the other lanes on both sides zoom bye?

the 60 to stopped brake check?

the lane hopper guy who makes everyone he cuts off brake and creates that reaction backward

the i've never seen someone pulled over before guy

those are the people that really make our traffic mind blowing
LOL...I have my personal favorites

- The 8 people in the pinto scraping the ground going 20 under the speed limit

- The guy driving the 8 cylinder Dodge Truck who wants to prove his truck is as fast as sports cars and gets on everyone's tail so that he can drive 80 on Ray Rd.

-The old lady who runs stop signs in neighborhoods and gives you a dirty look because she expected you to stop when you didn't have a stop sign.

-The guy who sits and misses the first two green lights at the stop light at the freeway exit ramp in the morning.

-The guy who panics and breaks 3-4 car lengths in advance during rush hour

- The person who panics and makes a complete stop when trying to merge from freeway onto another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM

8,157 posts, read 9,185,356 times
i've always used public transport in NYC so I don't know what driving is like there - but have driven in most other major cities

I would probably put LA #1 as the worst I've experienced, followed by Boston, Houston then DC ....... couldn't believe how much of a mess Houston was - maybe it's the way texans lay out their roads because for the relatively small size of Austin it's no picnic either

Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM

8,157 posts, read 9,185,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
LOL...I have my personal favorites

- The 8 people in the pinto scraping the ground going 20 under the speed limit

- The guy driving the 8 cylinder Dodge Truck who wants to prove his truck is as fast as sports cars and gets on everyone's tail so that he can drive 80 on Ray Rd.

-The old lady who runs stop signs in neighborhoods and gives you a dirty look because she expected you to stop when you didn't have a stop sign.

-The guy who sits and misses the first two green lights at the stop light at the freeway exit ramp in the morning.

-The guy who panics and breaks 3-4 car lengths in advance during rush hour

- The person who panics and makes a complete stop when trying to merge from freeway onto another one.
heh - i'm familiar with them as well - i also like how people absolutely struggle with merging out here or if you are driving east toward the airport and you get all the lane ending signs and people still turn into that lane with no intention of exiting - i actually was riding next to a guy who created his own lane on the curve between the tunnel and airport, scared the crap out of me because I knew that the shoulder came to a point at the next exit with traffic merging in - he just stopped his car and looked confused

Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,022,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I once spent 4 hours commuting 40 miles from Lombard to Wrigleyville, as a 3 pm snowfall crippled traffic. I used to get to Lansing Michigan from Lombard in 3 1/2 hours!

FCorrales, where's the study that shows 72% of PHX drivers go 5-10 mph above speed limit from 2-4 pm, 8-12 mph over from 4-6 pm?????
HUH? What are you talking about? Speed limits during certain times, 72% of PHX drivers do what? Come again? Not sure what you are asking here.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 44,045 times
That's funny that Michigan was mentioned a few times.. I dont see many accidents here (Grand Rapids area) ... but I suppose I just assumed a lot of cities were like that. G. Rap. isnt that big though.. not big at all. Taking side roads instead of the e-way works better almost all of the time.. is it like that in the Phoenix area?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,022,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griebelh View Post
That's funny that Michigan was mentioned a few times.. I dont see many accidents here (Grand Rapids area) ... but I suppose I just assumed a lot of cities were like that. G. Rap. isnt that big though.. not big at all. Taking side roads instead of the e-way works better almost all of the time.. is it like that in the Phoenix area?
I think I have heard some people mention on this forum that certain locations in Phoenix are easier and faster to navigate via city streets. But I think the majority use the freeways because of distance.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 PM

219 posts, read 491,090 times
One thing I noticed here, compared to east coast cities, is how much better the freeways (highways) are. They are so wide, and well-lit, and in great condition. Snow and wintry conditions can really take a beating on a road, but that is not the case here. I have never been to a city with a more efficient and well-designed freeway system...not to mention Free. Coming from New York, this immediately stood out to me. It now costs $10 there to cross any bridge, and the roads are in god-awful condition.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM

219 posts, read 491,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its worse here in Chicago' suburbs. No joke!

Seriously though, PHX's traffic is a breeze, be thankful for that. And as the Valley continues to grow, it will only get worse, but never to D.C./NYC/Atlanta/Chicago proportions Id imagine.
DC is the absolute worst. I used to go to University of Maryland, and that beltway was a total nightmare. There were just so few roads to take into DC, that traffic was so unbearable. I guess it's bad in New York too, but the mass transporation is so well-developed and frequented that its hard to complain.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 PM

19,396 posts, read 16,110,640 times
I like small town traffic, where rush hour consists of maybe 10 cars or so, down the highway...

Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 PM

419 posts, read 1,016,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
HUH? What are you talking about? Speed limits during certain times, 72% of PHX drivers do what? Come again? Not sure what you are asking here.
I was being facetious. I know you have almost every statistical study known to man, and thought you could produce local driving habit statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area