Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Parents out there who actually want the truth may appreciate hearing it rather than being bombarded with random quotes and Arizona only based statistics.
Well that certainly depends on who you are hearing the information from. If you talk to a parent whose child is going to Scottsdale public schools, she may depict a very different impression than one going to the Dysart school system. Hence the reason for statistics and objective information because hearsay is merely subjective and not accurate. This was the reason for this thread. It was to provide facts and destroy many of the unobjective and anecdotal tales spread on this forum. This post will finally empower and allow parents to make informed decisions

Quote:
Bottom Line.....if you choose to remain in Arizona become very involved in your childs education because this will help tremendously! Do your research and request the 5-year grad rate for the HS's you are considering. Speak one on one with the Superintendant if possible and know the principal. Also, many districts provide state funded tutoring after school and durring the summer so if you take full advantage and become extremely active in your child's educational process you will offset the major faults within Arizona's educational systems.
A parent should be heavily involved with their child's education regardless of where they attend school. Schools will differ in their quality. To generalize that all the schools in Arizona are bad is illogical. The bottomline is parents should research and make their own conclusions based on the school they are sending their child to as opposed to hearing anecdotal tales on a messageboard from a mom who says she hates AZ schools.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well that certainly depends on who you are hearing the information from. If you talk to a parent whose child is going to Scottsdale public schools, she may depict a very different impression than one going to the Dysart school system. Hence the reason for statistics and objective information that because hearsay is merely subjective and not accurate.

A parent should be heavily involved with their child's education regardless of where they attend school. Schools will differ in their quality. To generalize that all the schools in Arizona are bad is illogical. The bottomline is parents should research and make their own conclusions based on the school they are sending their child to as opposed to hearing anecdotal tales on a messageboard from a mom who says she hates AZ schools.
Very true, Dysarts drop out rate is sad and...being hispanic this makes me more sad...most of those drop outs in dysart are hispanic! Something must be done to get these kids involved! We need to get to the parents of these children (many of who know little english themselves and didn't graduate from high school) and help them to understand why their children NEED school.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
My humble opinion is, no matter what kind of school it is, be it a failing school, which by the way, I taught in a failing school that required school improvement or a top notch good report card school, if a child wants to learn, the child will learn!

You cannot bleame the teachers for all failures if you have 90% low income and no parent involvement. School Improvemnt schools the teachers go through more training than you can possibly imagine, weekly workshops and seminars, and this is after working hours. We give up vacations and weekends to go to these things as well. We worked our butts off to get the school back on track which they only give you so much time to do. The state moniters the school and and you must conform!

People forget the parent is the primary educator. It isn't the teachers responsibilty to make sure the child is grounded w/ manners at home and comes to school repapred. The teacher can teach only so many during the day. We can try and do our best to influence the child and be a good role model, but truth be told, the child learns from the parent, values, and self esteem and control and discipline. It makes it hard for any teacher to teach if just one child disrupts the class, that can happen in the best of schools. Just takes one kid. The only difference in some distrcits that have poor ratings is some classes will have a several unruly kids or kids that have been born to drugs or alchohol. I've seen it all.

The teacher cannot instill things that should have been taught from birth.

Bottom line, you can be in the worst district in the state, any state, any country for that matter. Any child can learn if you give him the desire and will to learn. They can learn wherever they want to learn.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well that certainly depends on who you are hearing the information from. If you talk to a parent whose child is going to Scottsdale public schools, she may depict a very different impression than one going to the Dysart school system. Hence the reason for statistics and objective information because hearsay is merely subjective and not accurate. This was the reason for this thread. It was to provide facts and destroy many of the unobjective and anecdotal tales spread on this forum. This post will finally empower and allow parents to make informed decisions

Comparing schools within Arizona is like saying "would I like to bash my head up against that Rock or that Brick Wall?" My views are not emotionally based, self driven or hearsay.....I give my advice strictly based upon my first hand experiances with viewing and reporting raw data and statistics as well as debates with Directors, Administraors and coordinators involved in many different aspects of education. I do not force my recomendations onto anyone, I would only love to see each child have the best education they can possibly have.

I agree....however, considering how greatly Az schools lack in educating our students....parents need to be more heavily involved here than they would in many other states....

Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, maybe my our cattiness is rubbing off on others Twig???
I hope our light heartedness to agree to disagree and still enjoy a good conversation does as well!! I enjoy learning new things, and I also enjoy teaching them! I haven't seen Ponderosa on here lately but he was another one like us, and steve-o. Always enjoyed getting a slap down from those guys. lol Sometimes it takes some deep digging and a lot of opinion for me to come to a conclusion. I spend a lot of time writing songs about this stuff. It's really stimulating on herel. Yikes, did I just say that. ha ha ha
I am in the process of the my education opinion, still reading, I'll get back to you guys. I don't really want this one to be true, I would love it if I were wrong on this one, really! I want our education to be better than I think!!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 AM

[quote=lola8822;4311399]Comparing schools within Arizona is like saying "would I like to bash my head up against that Rock or that Brick Wall?" My views are not emotionally based, self driven or hearsay.....I give my advice strictly based upon my first hand experiances with viewing and reporting raw data and statistics as well as debates with Directors, Administraors and coordinators involved in many different aspects of education. I do not force my recomendations onto anyone, I would only love to see each child have the best education they can possibly have.

I agree....however, considering how greatly Az schools lack in educating our students....parents need to be more heavily involved here than they would in many other states....[/QUOTE

I hear this from a lot of people, can't all be wrong.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Comparing schools within Arizona is like saying "would I like to bash my head up against that Rock or that Brick Wall?" My views are not emotionally based, self driven or hearsay.....I give my advice strictly based upon my first hand experiances with viewing and reporting raw data and statistics as well as debates with Directors, Administraors and coordinators involved in many different aspects of education. I do not force my recomendations onto anyone, I would only love to see each child have the best education they can possibly have.

I agree....however, considering how greatly Az schools lack in educating our students....parents need to be more heavily involved here than they would in many other states....
What is this comparing AZ schools to AZ schools, the information we provided is national. We are breaking down the problems facing AZ schools outside of Phoenix and some within the metro area. But have no doubt, that listing of Best schools in the Nation are not a comparison of Arizona schools. And the other that states that Phoenix area schools out preform the nation as a whole, does not compare AZ schools to AZ schools.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
My humble opinion is, no matter what kind of school it is, be it a failing school, which by the way, I taught in a failing school that required school improvement or a top notch good report card school, if a child wants to learn, the child will learn!

You cannot bleame the teachers for all failures if you have 90% low income and no parent involvement. School Improvemnt schools the teachers go through more training than you can possibly imagine, weekly workshops and seminars, and this is after working hours. We give up vacations and weekends to go to these things as well. We worked our butts off to get the school back on track which they only give you so much time to do. The state moniters the school and and you must conform!

People forget the parent is the primary educator. It isn't the teachers responsibilty to make sure the child is grounded w/ manners at home and comes to school repapred. The teacher can teach only so many during the day. We can try and do our best to influence the child and be a good role model, but truth be told, the child learns from the parent, values, and self esteem and control and discipline. It makes it hard for any teacher to teach if just one child disrupts the class, that can happen in the best of schools. Just takes one kid. The only difference in some distrcits that have poor ratings is some classes will have a several unruly kids or kids that have been born to drugs or alchohol. I've seen it all.

The teacher cannot instill things that should have been taught from birth.

Bottom line, you can be in the worst district in the state, any state, any country for that matter. Any child can learn if you give him the desire and will to learn. They can learn wherever they want to learn.
So true! Both of my parents were in the education field, and I do know AZ is not the easiest place to teach school. The teachers are really taking the brunt lately and it's not their fault. AZ and Texas are "testing grounds" for new approaches. It's hard to zig zag through and still teach a class. You start to feel like your just there to hand out ditto's. lol

Old 07-02-2008, 11:18 AM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
So true! Both of my parents were in the education field, and I do know AZ is not the easiest place to teach school. The teachers are really taking the brunt lately and it's not their fault. AZ and Texas are "testing grounds" for new approaches. It's hard to zig zag through and still teach a class. You start to feel like your just there to hand out ditto's. lol
I said I'd go to college so I wouldn't have to work so hard.......WRONG kind of thinking, I worked my butt off. I kept complaining to my husband how hard I worked and I don't think he realized how hard I worked till he started teaching at one of the public colleges part time in the evenings. Granted he is a Prof. part time and teaches in the field of his day job expertise, when he ralized just how much prep time went into, it was no different from my teaching a primary grade in those terms.

Now on that note, some of his students he teachers are not even prepared for college as they do not know what plagirism is and he has busted more than 1/2 his class last term on aresearch paper and had o explain the seriousness. Where when I was a kid, I learned that on my first book report in the 3rd grade.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:

But the point is that it is YOUR first hand experience which could differ from someone else's. That's the point I was trying to make. My impression of the valley schools differs from yours. That doesn't make my experience more valuable than yours or vice versa. Therefore, I try to take anecdotal tales with a grain of salt and refer to an objective third party source. I try to look at the data and based on that, I will come to my own conclusions. I also like to understand how certain ratings are acquired. It's easy to just accept a rating without examining how it is compiled. If our state accounts for Native Americans on reservations and other states with large Native American populations like New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida and Arkansas are not doing so, I will begin to question Arizona's low ranking. If you are reporting information based on raw data and statistics then I would like to see those statistics before I take your word for it because anyone can say they are basing their opinion on statistics and then not provide any. Wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area