U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:33 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,411,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Did you research the market (Maricopa) before buying? All indicators have not been good. I think the situation in Maricopa has made national news.

here is one article on the area
The Boomtown Mirage

Thanks for the link. I read it early Sat. a.m. and my husband and I thought it would be interesting to go see if the NYT's writer was accurate in her dismal assessment of the area.

Even though it was really hot, we went by motorcycle because it is a long drive from our house in the far NE valley. Once we got off the frwy onto the road to Maricopa...it was pretty stark, but only about 15+ miles. I thought it would be much, much farther as the author made it out to be a LONG ways out. Or, maybe I'm mistaken and she said it was 15+ miles. Believe me, I understand the commute would be long...it just didn't seem as bad as portrayed.

Once we hit Maricopa, I was surprised at how nice everything looked. It resembled a lot of new construction over in the far west Valley. The palm trees were a nice touch, and yes I know they put them there to be kind of grand, but it looked attractive and inviting.

I was really interested in going to the Fry's that the writer based the story on as the "hub of social interaction". I call b.s. on that writer for portraying this community as bereft of ANY place to go. There were PLENTY of stores, fast food chains, pubs, etc. Not my cup of tea, I guess...I'm not into this kind of suburbia...I wanted to be in a more spacey area with acreage, horses, etc. But for suburbia...they sure looked like they had everything anyone in the far nw valley has. Okay, maybe not a Paradise Bakery or a Dress Barn, but I overheard there was a Walmart coming in and some other big box places. I don't know if that is true or not...but I imagine the area could sustain a Wallmart.

Anyway, we looked around the neighborhoods and yes, you can't help but notice the large amount of homes for sale. And some of the houses did have weeds. It's clear the area has peaked for the time being. But that article was so dismal in it's assessment. Typical for the NYT's. Nothing but doom and gloom. Now they've even ruined the once lovely NYT's magazine. The only thing left of value in that paper is the science section on Tuesdays. That will probably be axed next and in it's place a special Obama section article after article on how wonderful he is and how evil the republicans are.

I hope the downturn is short and this community can weather it. I imagine it will.

I can't stand the schadenfreude (sp?) of the elitists that think middle America are dumb as rocks. The people that got the wacky loans they can't afford are paying a high price, as I guess is fair. But to take delight in their misfortune is pretty pathetic.

I'd bet there are some tremendous values in rentals there...and if you had some little kids and worked at home...it might be a good place to live and eventually buy if you liked it and could get a great deal.

It's not for everyone, but the houses looked nice and roomy and the people looked pretty happy to me. Easy to pick on people when they are down. I stopped bying the NYT's over a year ago...canceled my subscription of 10 years. Good move on my part, looks like more and more people are following suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,723,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I overheard there was a Walmart coming in and some other big box places. I don't know if that is true or not...but I imagine the area could sustain a Wallmart.
the walmart press release in our small paper called "The Communicator" claims walmart will be open in spring of 09, with building construction starting later this summer. The site and roads around the site have been under construction for quite some time now.

Thanks for actually taking the time to stop by, and post an unbiased opinion of Maricopa. So many people on this site bash maricopa, and its doubtful many of them have taken the time to check out the city lately.

Lastly, you are correct about the distance. It is 16 miles from the edge of Maricopa to the intersection of I-10. I'm sure you noticed at speed the ride takes less than 14 minutes, it just feels longer since there is nothing but empty desert in between. With only 3 stop lights and no distractions (unless the wild horses wander near the road) the commute goes by very fast. My commutes are 20-25 minutes to and from i-10 and chandler blvd Leaving at 6:30 am and leaving work at 3:30 pm.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM

609 posts, read 1,873,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
the walmart press release in our small paper called "The Communicator" claims walmart will be open in spring of 09, with building construction starting later this summer. The site and roads around the site have been under construction for quite some time now.

Thanks for actually taking the time to stop by, and post an unbiased opinion of Maricopa. So many people on this site bash maricopa, and its doubtful many of them have taken the time to check out the city lately.

Lastly, you are correct about the distance. It is 16 miles from the edge of Maricopa to the intersection of I-10. I'm sure you noticed at speed the ride takes less than 14 minutes, it just feels longer since there is nothing but empty desert in between. With only 3 stop lights and no distractions (unless the wild horses wander near the road) the commute goes by very fast. My commutes are 20-25 minutes to and from i-10 and chandler blvd Leaving at 6:30 am and leaving work at 3:30 pm.
We used to live in Goodyear, before that Havasu for 8 years, moved to Texas for 5 years and are now back. We looked all over the valley for a place to live.
We work from home so the commute is not an issue.
Everyone we have come in contact with for the past two weeks has been GREAT, very friendly and informative.
We love Maricopa and are happy with our choice to live here. We are sort of waiting to see what happens with Real Estate but plan to buy or have a home build soon.
Different strokes for different folks but we love it here.
GregandVicky

Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
I am thinking of buying in arizona, but i have not made up my mind were..is maricopa ok to buy now..i know it had its trouble, also is there a certain section were to buy that I should look at..any advice would be helpful...thanks

Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoriano View Post
I am thinking of buying in arizona, but i have not made up my mind were..is maricopa ok to buy now..i know it had its trouble, also is there a certain section were to buy that I should look at..any advice would be helpful...thanks

if you are considering maricopa, and will be commuting to chandler or phoenix for work you will want to live anywhere north of the railroad tracks.

My speculation is that maricopa has met the bottom, many on this board do not agree with me. do a search on here and you will find a lot of info on maricopa. just remember the city of maricopa is not in the county of maricopa. the city of maricopa is in pinal county.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 PM

641 posts, read 2,050,571 times
I read in one of the pinal county papers that that wallmart is no longer going to be built.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 PM

105 posts, read 387,266 times
I agree, Maricopa is a great place if one doesn't care about a ritzy address; and works or otherwise spends a good deal of time in Chandler or Tukee.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
I read in one of the pinal county papers that that wallmart is no longer going to be built.

incorrect. walmart pulled (requested) their building permits from the city on friday july 11th 2008. They would not be pursuing building permits if they weren't going to build

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,341,972 times
Local paper this week says that Walmart is still going to build, but a regular one instead of a supercenter as originally planned. Closest supercenters will still be Casa Grande and/or up north into Chandler/Tempe.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 AM

641 posts, read 2,050,571 times
Ahh. I must have misunderstood the article. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area