U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:38 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,721,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Local paper this week says that Walmart is still going to build, but a regular one instead of a supercenter as originally planned. Closest supercenters will still be Casa Grande and/or up north into Chandler/Tempe.

in what paper did you see that article?

At the July 1st city council meeting it was requested to allow for a reduction in size of the walmart supercenter, from 250,000 sq. ft to 200,000 sq ft. there was no mention of dropping the attached grocery store. Even reduced to 200k sq ft it is still larger than the new supercenter in Anthem that is only 186,000 sq. ft.

The developer also mentioned that Home Depot is in escrow on the building site. That was shocking news for me, as I did not expect home depot to open in Maricopa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,070,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
if you are considering maricopa, and will be commuting to chandler or phoenix for work you will want to live anywhere north of the railroad tracks.

My speculation is that maricopa has met the bottom, many on this board do not agree with me. do a search on here and you will find a lot of info on maricopa. just remember the city of maricopa is not in the county of maricopa. the city of maricopa is in pinal county.
If it hasn't hit bottom it's probably fairly close. If you or anyone is buying a house to use as a home rather than an investment, it really doesn't matter that much anyway. We bought new in east Mesa in 2000 for about 145k including the pool. At one point comps were in the 250-270k range. Now it's more like 185-200k. The only thing that meant for us was we paid more in property taxes as the valuation went up. Now we're paying less. The rest was meaningless paper gains and losses since we bought the place knowing we'd be here for 10-20 years. Besides, even if we'd bought at 2005 prices and were faced with a loss selling after say five years, I don't think it's a simple "250k minus 200k equals a 50k loss". During those five years we still would have had a tax benefit paying mortgage interest as opposed to renting and the money we would have had to pay in rent, even though it may be a lower monthly expense, is still money down the drain in any market.

The only suggestion I'd make to someone buying in a town like Maricopa is to keep a close eye on the vacant houses in your neighborhood. You probably know they're popular with vagrants/homeless/illegals and other potential burglars looking for free housing where they can walk to "work".

Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,070,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
in what paper did you see that article?

At the July 1st city council meeting it was requested to allow for a reduction in size of the walmart supercenter, from 250,000 sq. ft to 200,000 sq ft. there was no mention of dropping the attached grocery store. Even reduced to 200k sq ft it is still larger than the new supercenter in Anthem that is only 186,000 sq. ft.

The developer also mentioned that Home Depot is in escrow on the building site. That was shocking news for me, as I did not expect home depot to open in Maricopa.
Good News for Maricopa! I don't care what NIMBY's say about big box stores, it's been great for us to have a Supercenter 1 mile away, Home Depot < 1.5 miles away and soon a Super Target 1/2 mile away. Not to mention Bashas', Albertson's, Fry's, Safeway and Lowes all within 3 miles.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:50 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,339,995 times
61Scout - Ok....I guess thats what I was reading and interpreted that the size reduction meant "regular" vs "supercenter". I wasnt claiming to be a Walmart expert, and even the regular walmarts have significant food aisles. So, Im not sure if there will be a full blown supermarket or not. I was merely answering the poster that thought there was going to be no Walmart at all.

Yes, I read all your pro-Maricopa posts and agree with most. It was a close call to pay a little less in Maricopa or a little more here in CG in my recent home purchase. Due to the infrastructure ALREADY in place here in CG, my lack of commute (I work from home), and proximity to both I 8/I-10, slightly closer to Tucson when that desire hits me, AND I have family here in CG already, I ended up paying the extra 10-15% for the same home here as I would have gotten in Maricopa.

But I agree, in the mid-long term Maricopa will be a full service city and prices there right now are very attractive.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
61Scout - Ok....I guess thats what I was reading and interpreted that the size reduction meant "regular" vs "supercenter". I wasnt claiming to be a Walmart expert, and even the regular walmarts have significant food aisles. So, Im not sure if there will be a full blown supermarket or not. I was merely answering the poster that thought there was going to be no Walmart at all.

Yes, I read all your pro-Maricopa posts and agree with most. It was a close call to pay a little less in Maricopa or a little more here in CG in my recent home purchase. Due to the infrastructure ALREADY in place here in CG, my lack of commute (I work from home), and proximity to both I 8/I-10, slightly closer to Tucson when that desire hits me, AND I have family here in CG already, I ended up paying the extra 10-15% for the same home here as I would have gotten in Maricopa.

But I agree, in the mid-long term Maricopa will be a full service city and prices there right now are very attractive.
I was just asking what paper so I could find the article to educate myself. I'm trying hard to know what is going on with my city, and would hate to be spouting incorrect information. Sometimes that curiosity of mine comes across as aggression in print, if that's how you understood my post i apologize.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Good News for Maricopa! I don't care what NIMBY's say about big box stores, it's been great for us to have a Supercenter 1 mile away, Home Depot < 1.5 miles away and soon a Super Target 1/2 mile away. Not to mention Bashas', Albertson's, Fry's, Safeway and Lowes all within 3 miles.
It seams that even the NIMBY's have embraced this center. When it was first rumored there was a strong opposition, and the usual hatred towards walmart. But it seams like now everyone has come to the understanding that the wells shopping center, where the walmart will be located will benefit every resident even if they do not shop at walmart.

The Wells plan has several mini major stores that could potentially house a variety of shopping, banks and restaurants. When the walmart opens it will increase pressure on Fry's and Basha's to lower their prices, dropping the premium they charge from a captive audience, also diverting some of their customers and decreasing the long lines that form at these stores. The Wells shopping center is also located in an area away from 347, which will take some of the in town traffic off the main commuter route.

When Stonegate to the east, the Ultrastar complex to the west, the hospital site to the north west and the eagle series are completed that section of maricopa will be the hub of the city. Keep in mind these centers are still in planning stages and as we have seen plans could change.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM

641 posts, read 2,049,915 times
Default re

Here is the article.

Casa Grande Valley Newspapers Inc.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:53 PM

551 posts, read 2,423,922 times
Yes, there have been many rumors and many "changes of the mind" regarding building in Maricopa. A few stores have completely canceled, but I believe Walmart is still planned. However, they may have pushed back their opening date. I also believe the movie theater and shopping center have also pushed back their opening dates. Tutor Time should be opening within a month, and McDonald's should follow shortly after.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 AM

150 posts, read 389,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Actually the really low priced REO's here do have bidding wars. Hard to believe, but we are watching a few here in this neighborhood. Bank just wants them off the books. The other homes are moving but they have to be fairly low priced.
What is a REO?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 AM

338 posts, read 1,405,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
What is a REO?
REO stands for "real estate owned" - property that is owned by the lender as a result of a foreclosure.

As for the Maricopa Walmart, I read last week in the Maricopa Communicator- (I think that's the name of the paper) - they recently had the ground breaking ceremony and it is expected to be built by late Spring 2009. I think it said it was going to be a Super Center. I sure hope so then I won't have to go to Chandler to stock up on groceries.

Also it said there are rumors that a Home Depot is going up soon but nothing was confirmed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area