U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM

42,094 posts, read 55,080,498 times

Advertisements

We went from a 10 seer Carrier to a 19 seer Trane recently and so far the savings have been just over 20% each month from previous year.
Go at least 14 seer or more. The rebates from the companies and APS will more than compensate for the extra seers. Check APS website for the variuos rebates they offer.

AZ , personally I'd spend 45-55 dollars to have a legitimate independent air person come and look at it and tell you what is needed, or what is wrong with the system. Dollars well spent. Then you can decide which way to go, and if it's under a warranty maybe get the warranty company to make any necessary changes. Remember, you're the boss, don't let them push you around.
Complaints can also be made to the BBB and the Registrar of Contractors.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,845,003 times
The A/C business is no exception when it comes to having crooks like so many other businesses have. There are some honest companies out there though.

So many places aren't interested in just a small repair that would cost $20, if they are taking the time to go out to your house they want to find something wrong that's going to cost much more than that, even if it's not necessary. I recommend looking at Kudzu and reading reviews on A/C companies, that way you'll have a better idea about who your giving the job to.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:20 PM

824 posts, read 2,200,636 times
Dateline did a hidden-camera story on Arizona A/C companies several years ago. I never used the company, but I remember that the only company that chose not to scam the people was called Trustworthy Air. Every other company called to the house said that the pre-tested working unit needed this or that.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,943,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We went from a 10 seer Carrier to a 19 seer Trane recently and so far the savings have been just over 20% each month from previous year.
Go at least 14 seer or more. The rebates from the companies and APS will more than compensate for the extra seers. Check APS website for the variuos rebates they offer.

AZ , personally I'd spend 45-55 dollars to have a legitimate independent air person come and look at it and tell you what is needed, or what is wrong with the system. Dollars well spent. Then you can decide which way to go, and if it's under a warranty maybe get the warranty company to make any necessary changes. Remember, you're the boss, don't let them push you around.
Complaints can also be made to the BBB and the Registrar of Contractors.
Nitram, thanks for the great response. I don't know if this is true but I read that to get the best savings, you would not only have to replace the outdoor condensor but the evaporator and furnace as well which would then not make getting a new unit worth it in my opinion. The problem with warranty companies is that you sign a contract with them that details what is covered and they don't cover most things. Whenever I've gotten into an argument with them, they will point to the contract and its usually right despite what their sales people tell you on the phone. For example, they will cover your refrigerator but the ice maker or water dispenser that is a part of the refrigerator is not covered. That's how they get you. They have all these exceptions. So you really can't fight or argue with them.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Dateline did a hidden-camera story on Arizona A/C companies several years ago. I never used the company, but I remember that the only company that chose not to scam the people was called Trustworthy Air. Every other company called to the house said that the pre-tested working unit needed this or that.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I googled them and this is what I got. I might call these people and let the forum know what I thought of them. You know me, I never refrain from dishing out a little criticism.

Trustworthy Services Air Conditioning and Heating

Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,845,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The problem with Kudzu and rating sites like them is that companies can pose as customers and grade themselves. For example, I just went to the Kudzu site and there were barely any reviews and the ones that were reviewed had perfect scores with 22 and 35 responses of 5 out of 5 stars.

Yes that's possible, but overall your going to get the reviews you need. Not every company has tons of reviews, but I've researched companies that have had many reviews to read. And they will continue increasing over time. Bottom line is I'm just making a suggestion for the OP, it doesn't hurt to research companies and a place like Kudzu can definitely be of help.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Yes that's possible, but overall your going to get the reviews you need. Not every company has tons of reviews, but I've researched companies that have had many reviews to read. And they will continue increasing over time. Bottom line is I'm just making a suggestion for the OP, it doesn't hurt to research companies and a place like Kudzu can definitely be of help.
I'm the OP and I appreciate your suggestion. I was just giving my 2 cents as well. Based on the reviews on Kudzu, I was pretty skeptical. I mean cmon, a company had 35 reviews and every single one of them had 5 out of 5 stars with no negative feedback. A lot of them had 8 or more reviews which is a lot for internet rating site. That's hard to believe. They are either that good or they are reviewing themselves. And we know for a fact that companies are posting their information on Kudzu because they are responding (thanking) to the positive reviews. Put two and two together and I don't think it's out of the question that some of these companies are rating themselves. I'm choosing to believe the latter but everyone is free to form their own opinion.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-03-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 PM

46 posts, read 132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
My central air conditioner in my home was not cooling down fast enough. It was working but it seemed less efficient. I have a home warranty so I definitely decided to get it checked out. I assumed it might have been a freon leak. The AC repair man said the freon was at adeqate levels but said my coils needed to be cleaned. I have two units. He showed be both units and one definitely needed to be cleaned. He charged me $250 to clean a 3 ton outdoor compressor unit which he did on the spot. After about 40 minutes he left. My AC is working even slower now. I thought clearning the coils would improve performance but now its worse. My AC took 3 hours to cool from 76-75 in the evening. It was never that slow in the past.

I'm skeptical that I might have been scammed. I did my best to research this online and I found some tidbits about AC technicians purposefully making your AC less efficient to coax you into purchasing a brand new unit. I don't know if that's the case but something feels odd about the whole situation. Am I making this up or is there something to ths?

I can call my Home Warranty and complain that my AC is still not working properly. They will send out the same repair man. I have a feeling he will say everything is fine and I should upgrade to a bigger unit or something along those lines. The Home Warranty company has another contractor they use but they are pretty rude. I'm wondering if I should just do some research and find a reputabl AC repair man and pay out of pocket to have them check it out to see if I was getting scammed. Any tips or suggestions?
you probably got ripped off. $250 is too much to clean coils. Call a small independent company, with little or no ad in the phone book, and have them check out your system. explain to them that you had another company out and you are suspicious about them, and are planning to get your money back for the crummy job they did. this may lessen the chance that the new co. will try anything funny. If there is an easy fix, call the first company and demand your money back.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 15,781 times
I think it's par for the course here in the dead of summer if your AC goes out, you're gonna pay because they know your desperate. Our house is only 5 1/2 years old and our compressor went out last July and then this morning I woke up to a hot house and no air coming out of the vents. $420 later it's working. I am convinced the builder is in cahoots with the AC company and installed crap systems so they can screw everyone out of hundreds of dollars for the next few years because I always see their trucks driving around the neighborhood. In fact I'm so wary that today I called a different company. Still seems I may have gotten screwed though. The repairman wrote the name of the part and item number on my invoice so I googled it and found out they charged me $268 for a part I could've got online for $88.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:29 AM

339 posts, read 1,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazmom View Post
I think it's par for the course here in the dead of summer if your AC goes out, you're gonna pay because they know your desperate. Our house is only 5 1/2 years old and our compressor went out last July and then this morning I woke up to a hot house and no air coming out of the vents. $420 later it's working. I am convinced the builder is in cahoots with the AC company and installed crap systems so they can screw everyone out of hundreds of dollars for the next few years because I always see their trucks driving around the neighborhood. In fact I'm so wary that today I called a different company. Still seems I may have gotten screwed though. The repairman wrote the name of the part and item number on my invoice so I googled it and found out they charged me $268 for a part I could've got online for $88.
But how much would it cost to fit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area