Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,698,919 times

Advertisements

I paid a couple of young men $200 to trim our backyard trees. That seemed high to me, but the thought of my husband up on a tall ladder was enough to hire them. They did a very good job and hauled all the junk and blew the debris from the rocks. So I guess you shop around. We had hired the landscape people that leave cards on your door and they did a horrible job for $100. I had to hire another fellow to come and clean up after them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 01:21 PM

30 posts, read 249,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I like your way of thinking. I agree with everything you said except for the hourly wage part. Look the fact of the matter is if you pay someone by the hour, guess what, they are going to take their sweet time doing a job so they get paid more. It's human nature. And you bring up negotiating 101 when discussing contracts, always pay per job and not per hour. And don't pay until after the job is completed and check everything before cutting the check. Again, I don't have a problem paying you what you feel you are owed but I would rather pay per job than per hour.
The hourly rate is how we arrive at our bid. We all still provide bid but they are based on how many hours we are estimating the job will take.

For one time one day jobs depending on whats involved you can wait untill the job is complete to pay. I operate on a pre pay arrangement and I still get taken advantage of from time to time. I sent out my June bills on the 2nd of June I got about 30% of the money in by the 15th The last 2 weeks of the month and this week I was chasing $$ to make payroll. I still have over 10-K outstanding from June and I have already sent out July bills.

I have had a client cancel service then call back and wanted me to not cash a check his wife had just sent I told him he was crazy he was a month behind. If I was not on my pre pay system do you think I would have been paid? I'm not talking 2-300 bucks, that was a 1300 mo account. I had a venture capitalist take me for over 3-k on an improvement job a few years ago. It was jus a game to him. It may sound like I do lousy work and charge too much from these examples but I have many long time clients and all my work is refferal work. I don't advertise but even as careful and professioanl as I am I still get hosed from time to time. I will tell you I am more likly to get hosed by a millionaire in PV than a housewife in Glendale.

Take the number of stories you have heard about homeowners being screwed by contactors and multiply that times at least ten and you probably are not close to how many contractors especially lawn guys don't get paid. It just does not make the news thats all. Many are going to taking credit cards and running the number 3-5 days after the service. I think this will become the norm for the bigger companies.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:09 PM

682 posts, read 2,560,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgardener View Post
The hourly rate is how we arrive at our bid. We all still provide bid but they are based on how many hours we are estimating the job will take.

For one time one day jobs depending on whats involved you can wait untill the job is complete to pay. I operate on a pre pay arrangement and I still get taken advantage of from time to time. I sent out my June bills on the 2nd of June I got about 30% of the money in by the 15th The last 2 weeks of the month and this week I was chasing $$ to make payroll. I still have over 10-K outstanding from June and I have already sent out July bills.

I have had a client cancel service then call back and wanted me to not cash a check his wife had just sent I told him he was crazy he was a month behind. If I was not on my pre pay system do you think I would have been paid? I'm not talking 2-300 bucks, that was a 1300 mo account. I had a venture capitalist take me for over 3-k on an improvement job a few years ago. It was jus a game to him. It may sound like I do lousy work and charge too much from these examples but I have many long time clients and all my work is refferal work. I don't advertise but even as careful and professioanl as I am I still get hosed from time to time. I will tell you I am more likly to get hosed by a millionaire in PV than a housewife in Glendale.

Take the number of stories you have heard about homeowners being screwed by contactors and multiply that times at least ten and you probably are not close to how many contractors especially lawn guys don't get paid. It just does not make the news thats all. Many are going to taking credit cards and running the number 3-5 days after the service. I think this will become the norm for the bigger companies.

This is just terrible for you. I would make my business a cash when service is rendered. Just tell people that you have gotten stuck with unpaid bills too often and no longer send out invoices. If they are not home, they can leave the money in a specified drop point for you. If it is not there when you arrive, don't do the yard.

I pay my guy as soon as he finishes mowing and would not expect him to wait until I mailed him a check. The people that value your services will gladly tuck the money somewhere for you to find. If they don't like this, let them screw around with another yard guy.

altu2006

Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
This is just terrible for you. I would make my business a cash when service is rendered. Just tell people that you have gotten stuck with unpaid bills too often and no longer send out invoices. If they are not home, they can leave the money in a specified drop point for you. If it is not there when you arrive, don't do the yard.

I pay my guy as soon as he finishes mowing and would not expect him to wait until I mailed him a check. The people that value your services will gladly tuck the money somewhere for you to find. If they don't like this, let them screw around with another yard guy.

altu2006
Thank you for your kind words but it is not practical for my clients to put cash under the mat. Respectfully I would say it is also not how professional businesses operate this day in age either. You don't put some cash at your electric meter for your APS bill.

The bigger issue I hope to promote is that the guys you want to be hiring are professionals. I hope you realize the value your landscape adds to your home and that you are willing to pay the money it takes to operate a legtamate business to care for it. I would encourage you to look for someone who is a professional. Someone that is contributing to society rather than stealing from it. Please don't just pick someone because they have a truck and mower and are in your nrighborhood.

I you want a simple test to determine if they are operating as a legit business ask for their EIN number. They don't need to give it to you but they should know what it is. Gardeners don't need to be licenesed, so uness they are doing in excess of 600 worth of improvement work they will not have a license. If they are licensed by law the ROC # needs to appear on any advertisement like business cards, truck signs etc.

If you want to know about their horticultural knowledge just ask them to name some of the plants in your landscape. If they can't name 80% of your plant material he is faking it. Ask him to point out your "backflow protection" on your irrigation system. If he dosnt know what that is he has no business doing any service work on your irrigation system.
If he says its fine to use hedgers on your trees don't let him near them.

Just a few tips to finding someone who is competent to care for your landscape, hope it helps. You can always call the Arizona Landscape Contractors Assocition (ALCA) for a refferral in your area. I know you may not be able to find someone legal and competent in your area but please make an effort to look. Thank you!

Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 PM

682 posts, read 2,560,364 times
Quote:
Thank you for your kind words but it is not practical for my clients to put cash under the mat. Respectfully I would say it is also not how professional businesses operate this day in age either. You don't put some cash at your electric meter for your APS bill.
I understand your viewpoint. However, having yard work done is not a necessity and if the people cannot afford to pay you upon receipt of your bill, then they are taking advantage of you.

It is apparent to most of us that people doing yard work have people to pay and the services charged are small per client. If they cannot afford to pay upon receipt, then they need to go out in the heat and clip their own bushes.

I would not put up with these *******s and would be looking for new clients. If you are good at your job, they will make sure that you are paid in a fast time frame.

altus2006

Old 07-06-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
I understand your viewpoint. However, having yard work done is not a necessity and if the people cannot afford to pay you upon receipt of your bill, then they are taking advantage of you.

It is apparent to most of us that people doing yard work have people to pay and the services charged are small per client. If they cannot afford to pay upon receipt, then they need to go out in the heat and clip their own bushes.

I would not put up with these *******s and would be looking for new clients. If you are good at your job, they will make sure that you are paid in a fast time frame.

altus2006
As I mentioned my clients are a little different as is my service. My avg. account is about 1,200 per month some exceed 3-K per month in the summer.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:08 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,503,487 times
Wow, seeing some of those prices, I'm assuming there is a lot more to yard work in Arizona than there is here in Tennessee. Having a professional insured lawn care company mow and trim my 1.5 acres is $42. I don't have a lot of landscaping that needs tending though, and no flower beds to weed, so that might make a difference. But there is a lot of trimming to do.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:51 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,429,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK85297 View Post
Hi all,

We just moved to a new home that has a nice grass backyard (yay!). We are looking to hire a landscaping company to mow and maintain the front and back (desert front) on a bi-weekly basis. The backyard's grassy area is approximately 20 feet by 200 feet? It's not huge, but it's not a little patch o' grass either.

As I compare estimates, can anyone tell me what a ballpark fair price for such work is? We've never contracted for landscaping work before and I haven't any idea what to expect. Also- anything to look out for or to avoid?

Thanks in advance!
I'd say $80 per visit.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 AM

919 posts, read 3,386,499 times
If your front yard is desert, there should be little work to be done.

The grass in the back? See if there's a neighbor kid who'll cut it. It's hard work but pretty simple labor. This isn't akin to maintaining the greens at Augusta or managing the landscape needs of top resort. I mowed lawns as an early teen and the work was tough, but it taught me to appreciate hard work, earning money, business skills, etc. and probably kept me out of trouble. It paid for my hobbies, interests such as music, and eventually a dumpy car.

As much as I respect professional landscapers, who are very needed, if all you need is mowing, find a kid willing to learn some skills and pay them 2x what they's make at McDonalds or a mall job.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,234,338 times
Quote:

Good response, I didn't see your side earlier. I still don't believe in the hourly bid. I've seen in nearly every case that the estimated hours are significantly shorter than the actual hours worked and you pay considerably more than the estimate. Contractors always underbid the hours to provide the false impression the job will be less expensive. I would be willing to pay half the money up front out of good faith. In my profession, I take credit cards. Sure you pay a percentage to use the cards but at least you are not getting hosed on bad checks. We also get a lot of hot checks and the credit card systems saves us a lot of money. I highly recommend it.

I also pay my gardener as soon as services are rendered. I don't expect him to give me an invoice. I would also demand payment upon completion of the job. I don't see how it is any less professional. A lot of services ask for payment upon completion. Does your a doctor or dentist allow you to leave their office without being compensated? Does the service dept. at a car dealership give you back your keys without payment? I would ask for the money up through a credit card payment. The buyer is protected because they can get their money back should you not show up or do the job. And you are protected because they buyer can't rip you off if you perform the job. I would also take a digital camera and record your work upon completion with the date and time as proof. Also have the client sign off on your work to protect you. If a client is unwilling to do that then I would question them and move on. I know many people like myself would prefer to pay with credit card. I pay my bills off each month and get rewards from my credit card company so it's an incentive for me to pay for a 1200 job with a credit card.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-07-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area