Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 AM

31 posts, read 151,214 times

Advertisements

Terraaustralis~ Im not really sure why you disagree with MOST of what I have posted. Most of your rebuttals just seem petty.

First, I've heard of this "smartest states" study. One of the previous posted had pointed to Phoenix being mostly "blue collar" SO....I was being sarcastic...because I live in Seattle and considered "blue collar." I just found that statement to be a bit of a generalization...thats all We also don't have the border of Mexico, and all the new immigrants acclimating to a new country, tipping the study either. I personally don't look at polls and studys. I feel it is VERY un American to not move to a place because others around you haven't had the same privledges as you.

Second, I know ppl can get the Stranger outside of downtown ....I said PRETTY MUCH DISTRIBUTED TO THE DOWNTN AREA!...and it is.

Third, here is a quote out of the Stranger article:

In this land of indignity, the county jail is an outdoor tent city in 120-degree heat, where prisoners wear pink jumpsuits (also sold as souvenirs), their every move broadcast by webcam over the Internet.

So...if this is not a statement (in the beginning of the article mind you) ripe with political connotations...I dont know what is?!

here is the link again for those interested...make up your own minds

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=7959

I personally think a tent for prisoners is a great idea...if our troops can do it...our prisoners can. HOwever, most liberals would disagree. Again, this is just my opinion, as was The Stranger articles credibility.

As for the statement I made:
"Anything outside of downtown Seattle is the same as anywhere else."

Just to clarify,my intent was to express how corporate America is taking over everywhere. Most people have a McDonalds in their nieghborhood now, and I feel that is just the beginning. I think Phoenix was just gettin picked on

Stranger quote: Like true Seattleites, most of them try not to cross Lake Washington. Because how far is the now strip-malled and highway-girded Eastside from becoming Phoenix, but with rain and trees? :end quote

BTW??? How long have you lived in the Seattle area?? Your from Australia, Phx, and Seattle???

If you have lived in Seattle you would know it usually is overcast and raining, from October to February. March to June is better but still raining and dreary....the the SUN comes out July, Aug, Sep..and it still rains in the summer...so compared to PHX, it is dreary.

Mercer Island is very often called "the OC" of Washington...at least in my circles.

Hicksville.....hummm there are lots of country towns on the south end. Puyallup, Fife, Enumclam??

Gettos....ya, Seattle does have its bad areas, but nothing like a true NY getto....like I said. ( I do understand PHX has bad areas)

Bottom line for me is this; I love the weather in Arizona!! I think it is soooo nice to be able to not think about the weather. When I lived in Arizona, I forgot about the weather and just lived!!! In Seattle, I TOTALLY appreciate the culture and the trees. My life is just too interrupted by the weather here. I can handle dust, brown, little smog, and cars....np. Too each there own....hey and TERRa...if something I said offended you again..Im sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 AM

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...ciency-raising

Above is an article on vitamin d deficiency....it is prevalant in America. I think you really must not like PHX Terraaus. to compare the air there to a burning cig.

I am moving back to Arizona because I love it there. I like the sprawl, I like the ppl, I like the weather, I like the pace.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 AM

10 posts, read 24,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaseblossom View Post
Terraaustralis~ Im not really sure why you disagree with MOST of what I have posted. Most of your rebuttals just seem petty.
I'm not being petty at all. Everything I posted is fact. For example, the urban areas outside the Seattle downtown is fact. Mercer Island is much, much smaller than Orange County is fact. Nobody goes to Mercer Island unless they live there because it is a small island with only homes on it.

The article in the Stranger is also spot-on too in my opinion after spending long enough there. People that I met in Phoenix when I was there agreed with it as well when I showed them too. I share my opinion as I see it, but it is well known by all that Seattle is a much better city than Phoenix in many, many ways. It isn't a big secret of course.

I hope that you enjoy the weather there though, and the lack of sophistication compared to Seattle, the higher pollution and crime, and the slower suburban pace. Good luck! I'm an Australian though so because I am used to quality cities, Phoenix wasn't for me. Seattle is so much a better city in so many different ways that it is not funny.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM

139 posts, read 1,217,097 times
First let start by apologies to peaceblossom if It seems I attacked you. I didn't mean to come off as being abrasive. I understand how you feel about Phoenix because I feel the same way about Seattle. You being an actual native of Phoenix I can understand you yearning to be back home. I felt the same way when I lived in Seattle. People should be in a place that fits them both culturally, climate, and people wise. For the record, I like Phoenix for what it is but I just came to the realization I was a Seattle person through and through. I have a feeling your a Phoenix person. Nothing wrong with that.

To TerraAustralis, I love the fact you gave an intelligent unbiased opinion on places you have lived in the U.S. I'm always curious to know how other first world countries see our cities. There opinions always seem to right on the money. I'm glad you see on the wonderful qualities that a city like Seattle has to offer. From a national perspective we don't get near enough credit that we deserve. Come on over to the Pacific Northwest boards and give your intelligent succinct points.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:23 AM

61 posts, read 140,245 times
I'm the originator of this thread that has taken off!!...in a sort of strange way.

Anyway, TerraAustralis, I'm glad you fell in love with Seattle. It is a great town. But you're negativity about Phoenix and and posing an article from 'The Stranger' saying how everyone is moving to Seattle is unwarranted. Unless of course you are working for the Seattle Chamber of Commerce.

Let me say, I have lived in the Seattle area for 28 years. I've lived downtown and worked downtown. I have lived on the Eastside and worked on the Eastside. I pride myself in knowing all the ins and outs of this marvelous part of the world (the PNW) and will always call it home.

However, for various reasons, I've decided to spend some time in Phoenix working, learning, living, and experiencing. Yes there are throngs of people moving to Seattle (uh hello, we there's no room). There's also throngs moving to Phoenix.

I'm educated, intellectual, and have a great career. Even still I decided to leave the very progressive, socially consious atmosphere of Seattle for the desert. I've the evergreen trees all my life in Seattle and now I'm in the barren region with cactus and it excites me. It's like a town full white men who sees a Latina arrive in their town. The exotic aspect comes into play and they are enamored. This has happened to me here in Phoenix. I don't think I will live here the rest of my life. But the possibility is that I could buy a home here. I would never buy a home in the Seattle area. It's not that I couldn't afford one there, it's that I don't think man should have to pay that much for a home.

I know Seattle in-and-out and am hoping to learn quite a lot about Phoenix while I'm here.

Z

Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 AM

I like your style....and I also feel Arizona to be very exciting.

I did purchase a home in Seattle. I feel the same way as you. No person should have to pay this much, just to live.

I can't wait to move back to AZ thou....I do enjoy the build up of waiting! It kinda like waiting for Santa to come.

I'm SO looking forward to walking outside in the summer....in shorts and a tank top.....Arizona at night is one of my favorite things. Ewww...that would be a good thread! Everyones one single favorite thing about Arizona??!! Should I start??

Old 01-27-2007, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 153,200 times
I'm a native of the Phoenix area and I have to honestly say that people like TerraAustralis, Aussiegirl, Irwin, and Steve22 are accurate in there assesment of Phoenix regardless of what people think.

All major cities all out west shunning the LA model for urban planning with the exception of Phoenix. Mindless sprawl into the desert, lack of development of a central core, and lack of concern for water and air quality. The Colorado River, which supplies Southern Nevada, Southern California, and Arizona water levels, is being deplinished, it used to rain during the monsoon season however it the rains are now few and far in between due to the heat island effect. Alot of other major metropolitan areas accross the country have natural barriers to prevent them from sprawling out of control and have also implemented smart growth and if Seattle doesn't have four seasons Phoenix certainly doesn't get four seasons. But people who choose to live hear only base it off of one thing primarily sun.

Arizona as a state does rank low in education and Phoenix as a city does not attract the best and brightest from across the country or abroad. Not to get political but the good ole Sherriff would never be continuously relected anywhere besides Phoenix (Maricopa County) and the deep South. All in all Metro Phoenix is in big trouble. Natural resources that other areas of the country have to sustain a large population WATER for one does not exist in abundance here. Phoenix future is LA

Old 01-27-2007, 05:35 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I took the Sheriff Joe posts and moved them to a new thread. Have fun with it if you want but be nice to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area