Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's not completely done yet. Remember that the South Mountain leg of the 202 still has to be finalized and constructed. The NIMBYs & enviro nuts in that area have been fighting the freeway through that section ... giving reasons like, "it's too close to a school", "it will destroy the ecology of the area", etc. Seems ironic that many of these complainers had their homes built AFTER the freeway had been on the planning boards for years. The South Mountain Freeway was part of the original 1985 plan. It was put on the back burner, partly because of ADOT and their mis managing of funds, and partly the NIMBY factor.
I oppose the South Mountain Freeway in its current alignment. I don't live near it and don't have much sympathy for those who didn't read their disclosures when they bought their homes. Nevertheless, I don't like the current path because it cuts through a corner of South Mountain Park. If the Gila River Indian community agrees to a route through its land, avoiding any incursion into the park, then I might support the freeway. In your lexicon, I'm not a NIMBY, but I might very well be an "enviro nut." I'll wear the label proudly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Also, just my opinion, but throwing parties on newly completed sections of freeways is plain idiotic, and a waste of money.
I have to disagree! I have been to several of these parties - including the one celebrating the new leg of the 101! They are fun - and help to bring communities closer.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I am all for a party. Never heard of a party for a freeway or road opening though.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:33 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
The freeway system in Phoenix is nowhere near done. The 303 is going to be upgraded to freeway status in several areas, and there are still preliminary plans to construct two additional freeways in the Valley.

The 202 South Mountain still has to be constructed. Once, that is constructed, there are plans to connect the South Mountain Freeway to the 303 freeway via the 801 freeway, which will run south of Buckeye Road in the Southwest Valley. Ther are also plans to construct the 802 freeway in the Southeast Valley, which would extend from the 202 Santan, past Williams-Gateway Airport, into rapidly-growing Pinal County. All of these freeways were scheduled to be completed by 2030, but with the real estate market slowing down, I think 2040 or 2045 is a more realistic estimate.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:45 PM

37 posts, read 129,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
The freeway system in Phoenix is nowhere near done. The 303 is going to be upgraded to freeway status in several areas, and there are still preliminary plans to construct two additional freeways in the Valley.

The 202 South Mountain still has to be constructed. Once, that is constructed, there are plans to connect the South Mountain Freeway to the 303 freeway via the 801 freeway, which will run south of Buckeye Road in the Southwest Valley. Ther are also plans to construct the 802 freeway in the Southeast Valley, which would extend from the 202 Santan, past Williams-Gateway Airport, into rapidly-growing Pinal County. All of these freeways were scheduled to be completed by 2030, but with the real estate market slowing down, I think 2040 or 2045 is a more realistic estimate.
Good grief! That's a lot of freeways. Maybe they were right afterall...Phoenix is turning into the next LA.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So cool that the 202 is done. Now can they start on the 303?
As soon as they get the 101 done.... or redone.

I was driving on the 101 last weekend, and got to the I-17 interchange and they had lanes on the ramps closed, and concrete sections of the bridges torn down. It looks like they're doing some major improvements there. I know that interchange was completed just a few years ago, around 2000 or so, and it made me wonder again about ADOT. Why didn't they put these extra lanes when the interchange was built in the first place? Valley Native made a mention of ADOT's mismanagement of funds, well when they build new freeways, and interchanges, then 8 years later they have to redo some of those sections because of increased traffic, it's not hard to figure out how ADOT wastes their funds. I also remember the many times they had to widen the US 60, one time in the 1990's, and another just more recently.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:10 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Never happens down here, Urban.

Whooooooooops . . . maybe that's because we ain't got no stinkin freeways!
! ! ! !
LOL.. Bummer, that might be because folks in Tucson call them Expressways..

Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM

105 posts, read 446,227 times
Perfect, I'm moving to Mesa from an out of state hiatus the past 5 years. I will be living very near the North end of this segment. I can reap the benefits without having to have endured the construction.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM

92 posts, read 421,752 times
They still have to add one more lane to the 202 in 5 years and then another lane 6 years after that. And then when they can't expand the freeway anymore and it's jammed up like no one's business, they'll start the 303.

Quote:

Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile I feel sorry for Surprise

Quote:
Well I can tell you that although one of Surprises mottos is "exceeding expectations" I always felt that they couldn't even meet expectations when it comes to transportation. What Surprise needed was a real FREEWAY!! Not an expansion of Bell rd, Not making Deer Valley or Beardsley a throughfare not timing the lights on Greand and not really even the 303. Where does the 303 go to??? NOWHERE!! It is not even a corridor of anything but cotton fields. What is that?? At least 15 years ago when I was there I saw the final blow to surprises hopes of a real freeway when the State was planning to make GRAND AVE into a Freeway.

Well you can thank the good citizens of Sun City and the few businesses along Grand Ave. for making sure that this didn't happen. Now if you live in Surprise you will be forever cut off From any direct freeway access to "Phoenix" where most of the jobs are.

Hey the good news is though that after the housing crash there in Surprise and after the HUGE increase in gas prices Surprise has returned to the affordable Bedroom Community that it was meant to be. After all, the builders saying used to be "Drive a little. Save a lot"

I.ve been seeing newer built homes there for under 100k again for the first time in 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area