U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:12 AM

5,375 posts, read 7,035,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
In the end, it seems pretty cut and dry...don't speed more then 9 MPH and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket...be it from a camera or real cop.
I have no problem with the cameras as long as they are set sufficiently lenient that they don't ticket anybody for going just a few miles over the speed limit. How much should the margin be? That's debatable, but I don't think it's unreasonable to allow people to drive 80 on a freeway posted 70 as long as the driving conditions are good. Which brings up an interesting point, that cameras have no judgement. Some days it might be reasonable to travel 80 on that freeway posted at 70, while other days it might be insane to drive even 50 on the same freeway.

There are a few scofflaws that always try to drive as fast as possible, even 100 mph in a 70 zone. It would be great if something could be done to stop this behavior. It's incredibly irritating to be driving 80 in a 70 zone and have some bozo 10 feet off your rear bumper trying to push you out of the way so he can travel 100, and won't even give you enough time to merge over to the next lane so he can continue his unsafe speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM

1,170 posts, read 2,368,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

I had a strange feeling someone would make a comment about that. lol

***waves back***
did you have a strange feeling that it was gonna be me or AZriver?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM

8,164 posts, read 9,684,900 times
I think it's a bad idea - I'm really against the concept and think the only benefit is a revenue stream

there is no judgement or circumstance involved

i also don't think speeding is that big of a factor out here - there are some aggressive drivers, but a camera alone won't deter their actions as many times they may not be technically speeding

I can also see this causing further havoc on commutes as you get the reactionary "jam on the brakes" driver who will create a nice ripple effect down the highway

once the locations are known people are just going to speed in the middle

i also hate the cameras at intersections - there are a couple near where I live and I avoid those intersections like the plague - everyone seems jumpy going through and they feel a lot more dangerous then what they used to be

Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,207,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

once the locations are known people are just going to speed in the middle
Yea, but if there are so many, up to 200 eventually, there won't be many "middle" parts to speed in between.

And for who asked...the cameras are lenient up to 9 MPH...so you can go 64 in a 55 or 84 in a 75. If you go 10 MPH over, it will snap you.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM

2,203 posts, read 6,125,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
100 speed cameras set for state highways

Yep, they are coming September 26th of this year.

I'm mixed on how I feel about this. Part of me says it's crazy...we don't need to be policed like little kids...but the other part of me says that apparently we do need it because if there weren't speeders out there, this wouldn't even be discussed.

I do see it as more of a money making thing for the state then an actual safety thing...but I guess I can't blame them, if people are willing to "give" them the money, they are willing to take it.

I don't buy the complaints from people that an actual cop should be giving out tickets...why would that matter? So they may be able to get out of the ticket?

In the end, it seems pretty cut and dry...don't speed more then 9 MPH and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket...be it from a camera or real cop.
I just hate the blasted things, and not because I'm a speeder, but because I think they create a traffic hazard. We've got one now between Dewey and Prescott Vly on Hwy 69. I'll have my cruise set (within the "safety" zone ), and there will be a few guys just flyin' by me, probably doing about 20-25 mph over the speed limit. Then they get up to the photo radar and slam on their brakes to right at the speed limit. It's really maddening to have them pass me just to slam their brakes on right in front of me. I've see traffic bottleneck horribly since these things have been installed.

I think the speeders are taking advantage of the signs posted warning of photo radar. Since they know where they're at, they think that as long as they slow down for those, they can go as fast as they want the rest of the time.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,035,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I think the speeders are taking advantage of the signs posted warning of photo radar. Since they know where they're at, they think that as long as they slow down for those, they can go as fast as they want the rest of the time.
And even worse, they believe they have the right to go as fast as they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area