Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times

Advertisements

For those of you that feel your life is affected by the heat, at what point (month) do you feel that the weather stops affecting your normal routine? I know there are many of you that don't let the heat bother you, but it is bothering us. It appears that statistically June is the hottest month, but I've heard people say that it is hotter in August and the average low will increase, making it feel warmer even very late at night and early morning. When September gets here, will it feel cool? Just trying to get a better understanding and feel a bit more encouraged about the weather. Will it seem more bearable next year? Maybe it takes a full summer to get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
For those of you that feel your life is affected by the heat, at what point (month) do you feel that the weather stops affecting your normal routine? I know there are many of you that don't let the heat bother you, but it is bothering us. It appears that statistically June is the hottest month, but I've heard people say that it is hotter in August and the average low will increase, making it feel warmer even very late at night and early morning. When September gets here, will it feel cool? Just trying to get a better understanding and feel a bit more encouraged about the weather. Will it seem more bearable next year? Maybe it takes a full summer to get used to it.
The peak temps are in June, but the "worst" is August, particulary if the monsoon weakens in which case it is still pretty humid but can get HOT. It gets noticeably better right after Labor Day when the monsoon will suddenly stop and the humidity go back to 10%. It's gonna make you understand the expression "it's a dry heat".

I don't love the heat, but like most around here I have learned to accept it. When I was younger, we had a little pickup and a tent and went up on the rim every weekend fishing and hiking and beer drinking etc. I'm lazy now and the effort needed to get out of town seems too much. So, I do what I can in the mornings and hide out during the day. I go to the store and such during the day, but no yardwork, walking or other activities. I go to the mailbox and curse this place. I keep in all in perspective, though, by thinking of how many truly lovely weather days we have here over the course of a year. I've learned that sometime in late October I'll be walking to the mailbox and find myself saying "this place is paradise!!!".

Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 AM

I understand about the walking. I tried to walk about 4 miles the other morning and I barely made it back. I've started riding my bike to the mailbox ( about 2 streets away) and I can suffer through that. I think it is the duration of the heat that is getting to us. We had been here during the summer before, but always on vacation and the heat ended when we returned home. I just feel like my life is on hold right now. We're talking about going to the mountains this weekend, but I need to figure out if going to the AZ mountains or going to Seattle would be more refreshing and improve our outlook a bit more. Obviously, going to AZ mountains is a whole lot less expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
I understand about the walking. I tried to walk about 4 miles the other morning and I barely made it back. I've started riding my bike to the mailbox ( about 2 streets away) and I can suffer through that. I think it is the duration of the heat that is getting to us. We had been here during the summer before, but always on vacation and the heat ended when we returned home. I just feel like my life is on hold right now. We're talking about going to the mountains this weekend, but I need to figure out if going to the AZ mountains or going to Seattle would be more refreshing and improve our outlook a bit more. Obviously, going to AZ mountains is a whole lot less expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!
Admittedly lovely in Seattle right now.
Summers are generally gorgeous up here - and in spite of our HORRID (cold/wet) spring this year, summer has so far been as expected.

Ken

Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 AM

37 posts, read 129,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Summers are generally gorgeous up here - and in spite of our HORRID (cold/wet) spring this year, summer has so far been as expected.

Ken
Hey! I moved here from Seattle last summer! Yes, Seattle summers are pretty awesome. I'm excited because I'll be going back to Seattle for most of August (I get to enjoy some Seattle summer and miss out on a few weeks of Arizona heat!)

I've only been here one year, but from my experience (and what others have told me) it starts cooling down to a more tolerable level in October.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Renewal View Post
Hey! I moved here from Seattle last summer! Yes, Seattle summers are pretty awesome. I'm excited because I'll be going back to Seattle for most of August (I get to enjoy some Seattle summer and miss out on a few weeks of Arizona heat!)

I've only been here one year, but from my experience (and what others have told me) it starts cooling down to a more tolerable level in October.
Well, as I said, it's been really nice. As typical, in the upper 70's, lots of sun.

It's about time too.
After this past winter/spring I was about to nuke the whole place.

We are soooooooo looking forward to moving down to Arizona (still a few years off).

Of course our land down there is a bit more temperate than the Phoenix area - with summer highs typically in the upper 80's and low 90's instead of in the hundreds.

Not sure I would like the 100's day-in and day-out, but those warm sunny winters might make up for it.

Enjoy your return to Seattle!
As you know, it's by far the best time of the year to be here - and when the weather is nice, Seattle (actually the ENTIRE NW) is nothing short of SPECTACULAR.

Ken

Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
I lived in Phoenix for a number of years and have considerable tolerance for the heat. Summers there vary in the intensity of the heat and the strength of the monsoons, but June could start to feel uncomfortable, and by August the heat is tedious. Curiously though, I always enjoyed September even though the average daily highs hover around 100 for a good part of the month. The sun is lower in the sky, nights are earlier and more tolerable and the slackening off of the heat feels welcome.

If you have a real affinity for the desert there are things to like about the summer. The desert reveals itself most in the summer. The intensity of the heat feels exotic (even in an appealing way), and the monsoons can bring beautiful storms and skies and sunsets. Often late in the day, landscapes are bathed in an awesome golden glow.

It's all an individual thing and obviously not all people respond in the same way. Just read these posts and read all the complaints.

Last edited by ABQSunseeker; 07-21-2008 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
This is our 4th summer here. My husband got used to the heat immediately. I never did. Everyone has a different "personal thermometer" so to some the summer's aren't that bad. For me, I consider it hot until November and there are days beyond that it can be hot too.

My normal routine starts changing as soon as the pool water hits 76 degrees. It's around that time I go into "hybernation mode", where my main activities are going from inside the air conditioned house to out in the pool and back again. From November through approximately April I go back to "normal living", although I have to admit, this year we had a glorious spring and I was able to enjoy it outside longer than I usually do.

I guess my short answer is that I now have two sets of normal: a six month period where I go out and do whatever I want, which is approximately from November through April, and six months of an air conditioned house/pool/I don't want to do anything else normal.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
When September gets here, will it feel cool?
Cool in September? Definitely not. Less hot? A little bit. Even in October is can still be hot, though it does start to cool off and a big part of October will be in the 80s, it's not uncommon to still have 96-97 for the high at the end of October but the night/morning are definitely cooler, in the mid-high 60s.

Take a look at these two links...scroll down a bit to the calendar view.

September 2007
History : Weather Underground

October 2007
History : Weather Underground

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken
It sounds wonderful!! Does it feel cool enough for my husband to enjoy a nice cup of coffee? We try to pretend it is cold here by setting the AC at 78 degrees and sleeping with a down blanket!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area