Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM

300 posts, read 952,304 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend food city's produce. Yuck.

I always found Fry's to be reasonable priced out of all the grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Sonic View Post
Fresh and Easy has some great deals occasionally.

I think they have good deals on their meat most of the time.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Agreed. Food City. If you can find one in a newer part of the valley, the experience won't be so bad.

I generally find their produce to be BETTER than Fry's. Fry's has downright horrible produce.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,196 times
If there is a Fresh & Easy near you, check it out. When (if) the new F & E closest to me actually opens, I plan to shop there once per week, with a once per month supplemental trip to a Wal-Mart Super Center.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM

270 posts, read 1,110,110 times
I have been shopping at 4 places consistently: Fry's, Safeway, Basha's and Albertson. I only buy what is on sale and stock up, if I have space. I have found 2 places that have decent produce: Lee Lee's oriental store in Chandler and a little place at the SE corner of Main and Greenfield in Mesa. Both place has great prices. But I only buy enough fresh stuff to last 3 to 4 days; any longer, the fresh food would start to wilt or rot. One thing I do is to check unit pricing. "$ per oz." is a pain to find out and stores do not always mark them uniformly. The last thing is I am trying to buy my food at Safeway since they give customer 10 cents off per gallon of gas per $100 spent each quarter. Last 3 months I spent $500 there and saved 50 cents per gallon of gas. Hubby and I put $40 worth of gas into 2 cars @ $1.37 per gal. that was at least $14 saving.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Walmart ad matches with everyone, so if you can stand the hassle and keep things straight, collect all the newspaper ads and take them to Walmart. Point out the ad price at wherever on check out and they will adjust.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,196 times
Quote:
"Walmart ad matches with everyone, so if you can stand the hassle and keep things straight, collect all the newspaper ads and take them to Walmart. Point out the ad price at wherever on check out and they will adjust."
Definitely bring the weekly ads with you to WM, at least for a few key items. That is my plan for my monthly WM trips. I make it sound like a journey because those stores are usually pretty chaotic.

They honor just about every ad item except "buy one get one free" type stuff or "percent off" type deals.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post

I generally find their produce to be BETTER than Fry's. Fry's has downright horrible produce.

We always grocery shop at wal-mart.. that has always been cheapest for us.

And I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that Fry's has bad produce. The rest of the store is fine (a little pricey), but their fruit and vegetables are not that good. And the cereal that I like there is twice as expensive as wal-mart.. what a rip off.

For good and cheap produce I would recommend Sprouts, I love going there! They have a huge selection and some really delicious food! I actually think Sprouts is better than Fresh & Easy, but there aren't as many of them.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 AM

235 posts, read 755,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
I have been shopping at 4 places consistently: Fry's, Safeway, Basha's and Albertson. I only buy what is on sale and stock up, if I have space. I have found 2 places that have decent produce: Lee Lee's oriental store in Chandler and a little place at the SE corner of Main and Greenfield in Mesa. Both place has great prices. But I only buy enough fresh stuff to last 3 to 4 days; any longer, the fresh food would start to wilt or rot. One thing I do is to check unit pricing. "$ per oz." is a pain to find out and stores do not always mark them uniformly. The last thing is I am trying to buy my food at Safeway since they give customer 10 cents off per gallon of gas per $100 spent each quarter. Last 3 months I spent $500 there and saved 50 cents per gallon of gas. Hubby and I put $40 worth of gas into 2 cars @ $1.37 per gal. that was at least $14 saving.
I love Lee Lee's. They just opened one in Peoria as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM

270 posts, read 1,110,110 times
I try to buy more at Lee Lee's. But not everything there is cheaper. I figured out i should buy what they sell the most there because that is the item they move the most hence has more in stock. For example, rice. I pay about $20 for a 20# bag of balsamic rice, where it is 2x or 3x as much per pound at other grocery store. Their fresh produce is 30-50% less. The other ethnic food prices are fair because they do not have many competitions. You should also know Lee Lee's gives all customers a 10% off of your whole bill at the check out. They do not advertise that, but it is great to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area