Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 AM

123 posts, read 488,412 times

Advertisements

It seems as though there are a ton of negative people that post here about the Phoenix area. If you don't like it here, move! No one is making you live here. Go live somewhere else and be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 AM

8 posts, read 18,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdotcom01 View Post
It seems as though there are a ton of negative people that post here about the Phoenix area. If you don't like it here, move! No one is making you live here. Go live somewhere else and be happy.
All that seems simple enough however pomp and circumstance dictate. Check the forums of all 50 states and there cities and you will see negative comments about every place from the weather, culture, etc.... People have a right to voice there opinions whether you like it or not. I only get offended if people try to make opinions into fact and are inaccurate and off base. If something is fact about a place person or thing no matter how negative it may seem you have to own up to that fact. In the end you are right Phoenix isn't for everybody and those that don't like it in Phoenix should leave in which the ultimately will!!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Its easier said than done. Alot of people will go through the major and expensive task of selling their homes and relocating to PHX, just to find out in a year or two that they cant stand it. Then of course the task of having to relocate again becomes another burden they dont want to repeat. So then of course they moan about it, which is their God-given right, until they finally leave, which can take years. I notice alot of people do that down there. They visit for a week, love it, then make a stupid and hasty decision to move. Then after 2 years, they realize its not what they thought it would be. I almost did the same thing, but instead I took the wiser path and vacationed there several more times and found that its one of my fave vacation spots, but not somewhere Id want to live. The people that wench and moan are the kind that rushed down there and cant get back out. Guess Id be wenchin too. Oh well, just listen to em and try and point em in some directions that might be fun for them (recommend some new shopping areas, new restaurants, new activities, etc).

Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Lightbulb Consider the source ?

There are two types of posts on this message board: facts and opinions. The readers of any post must take a little responsibility to realize that not all messages are necessarily accurate and they should consider the source and the validity of the each post.

For what it's worth "that's my 2 cents" and it's an opinion

Old 01-23-2007, 11:01 AM

Smile It's my opinion and view!

Quote:
No matter where people are living, if they don’t like it there – they move if they can. I don’t know of anywhere that doesn’t have some problems of one type or the other. Most people like to vent and may say things that others wouldn’t like to hear that doesn’t make what they say “factual” but it may be an “opinion” and “valid” for them.

That being said, I have to agree if someone didn’t like it here, they need to find a way to move on to another location that will fit there needs better then Phoenix or Az. Life is too short to live in a location that makes you unhappy.

That’s an opinion and view of one member.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 18,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
No matter where people are living, if they don’t like it there – they move if they can. I don’t know of anywhere that doesn’t have some problems of one type or the other. Most people like to vent and may say things that others wouldn’t like to hear that doesn’t make what they say “factual” but it may be an “opinion” and “valid” for them.

That being said, I have to agree if someone didn’t like it here, they need to find a way to move on to another location that will fit there needs better then Phoenix or Az. Life is too short to live in a location that makes you unhappy.

That’s an opinion and view of one member.
You are absolutely right but I noticed on these forums people take one aspect about a place they don't like and run with it which may not necessarily be true. Example, if I said it was 100 degrees in Phoenix everyday 12 months out of the year and without doing research or seeing for yourself if it was true or not you would believe me and it would severly impact your way of thinking whether or not to move here or not that is what you get on these threads. I have also noticed that those who do give factual and actual information which are negative people get all bent out of shape.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:59 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
I am stuck here until May unfortunately.

After that I am back to the Northeast and done with Arizona forever.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Quote:
I think it depends on why you don't like it in Phoenix. If the desert lifestyle is just a plain "bad fit" for you -- if you don't like the desert now and you wouldn't have liked it 50 years ago -- then, yes, you should move. But there are people who would give anything to live in the southern Arizona of 30 or 40 years ago. People should fight for the livability standards they want. Jumping ship just filters out the people who really care about quality of life and paves the way for lowest-common-denominator planning policy. There are many of us who pine for the Arizona of years gone by. We can't return because it doesn't exist anymore, but the memory of the good days still festers as we go about our lives in less development-crazed parts of the country

Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Smile Good old days

So many new people who come to Arizona find that in the first year they just don’t like it for one reason or another and they may have valid reasons for what it is they dislike. However I seem to find after talking with so many others, that if you’re here for two years you will end up staying. After the two year period people seem to adjust to the area and the way this part of the country is. Everyone seems to find ways to deal with some of the problems that they thought troubled them.

And yes Steve you are correct “the gold old days don’t exist anymore”! That being those days not only here but where we came from as well. How many of us have returned to visit where we use to live and found that it just isn’t like it was before and how happy we are that we moved and now live in the southwest. Adjustment to our new location is important, and it’s nice to make a comparison to where we came from. I can find the good and the bad in both areas of the country, yet I’ll take make my bed here first.

I continue to look for the “Mayberry RFD” in this country but I don’t think we can get back to that slower way of life or when neighbors could leave their front door open to everyone. The times have changed but the memory of those good old days remain.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM

18 posts, read 82,917 times
I don't mind the negative posts. Maybe more people will think twice before moving to the PHX area and we can go back to the good old days before nutty traffic, overcrowding and over development with ticky tacky strip malls and same-tiled rooflines for miles on end.
Heh, let's scare 'em away! Ha!
Well, I can dream, can't I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area