Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:54 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, please, ask anyone here, you do travel 65 miles per hour on freeways in Phoenix during rush hour. I remember going to a D-backs game and leaving Litchfield Park, near Luke AFB and arriving at Chase Field 25 minutes later at 5:06 pm. Please! Traffic here is a breeze! And NO, I have never spent over an hour ON ANY valley freeway, NEVER! It just doesn't happen unless a bad accident was involved. And yes, from City hall in Seattle to the State Capitol in Olympia, it is 60.66 miles, BUT from where my parents lived in North Oly to Seattle it was 42.69 miles. The suburbs in Seattle are just as vast as here in Phoenix my friend. I also have friends who currently live in Stilecom and they have a three hour commute to Seattle and only are 35 miles from the city center...that just doesn't happen in Phoenix unless a horrific accident took place.
I didn't realize there were a lot of people going form work in LP back to their home in downtown.............................

you haven't lived here that long and don't make a daily drive that requires hopping on these fast moving freeways ........ you have no clue what you are talking about

but i'm sure i'm just imagining all this time spent stopped in traffic or that a normal commute is get on highway & crawl to Dysart - it opens up to about 83rd ave then you come to dead stop - crawl to about 40th ave - then it opens up a little until about the 10/17 interchange before the tunnel and then you stop again

way home the line to get on the 10 can backup to mcdowell - you are crawling to about 67th ave - then it opens up - as soon as the 10 hits the loop you crawl all the way home

that's reality of a typical commute from/to the SW valley ......... east valley isn't a whole lot different - wasn't much different when i lived in the NW valley either

i used to car pool with my wife - our offices are 8 miles apart - i was in the central corridor and she was in glendale - it would take a solid 45min to an hour to get there ........... i still go to a petstore in that general area, closes at 6 - if i'm not out of work by 4:30 i'm usually not getting there in time

but that is probably imaginary as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,817 times
ADOT Freeway Management System

Even on a Saturday at 8am they show some areas where the traffic is flowing below 55mph.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I didn't realize there were a lot of people going form work in LP back to their home in downtown.............................

you haven't lived here that long and don't make a daily drive that requires hopping on these fast moving freeways ........ you have no clue what you are talking about

but i'm sure i'm just imagining all this time spent stopped in traffic or that a normal commute is get on highway & crawl to Dysart - it opens up to about 83rd ave then you come to dead stop - crawl to about 40th ave - then it opens up a little until about the 10/17 interchange before the tunnel and then you stop again

way home the line to get on the 10 can backup to mcdowell - you are crawling to about 67th ave - then it opens up - as soon as the 10 hits the loop you crawl all the way home

that's reality of a typical commute from/to the SW valley ......... east valley isn't a whole lot different - wasn't much different when i lived in the NW valley either

i used to car pool with my wife - our offices are 8 miles apart - i was in the central corridor and she was in glendale - it would take a solid 45min to an hour to get there ........... i still go to a petstore in that general area, closes at 6 - if i'm not out of work by 4:30 i'm usually not getting there in time

but that is probably imaginary as well
Your description of the drive in/out on I-10 is pretty accurate. But, you have to concede that the freeway west of Dysart is way under capacity for the traffic AND it is being improved. When the new road opens, you will get on and go 65 plus all the way to 83rd driving in and from 67th all the way to your exit coming home. That's not too bad. It won't last, of course, as millions more come here. So enjoy.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 AM

when is it going to be done though? it looks like they are moving pretty quickly on it, but i don't think it will be complete for another couple years - until then it's just worse with construction looky loos........

i do concede that there is a lack of capacity and that they are fixing it - but that doesn't change the fact that you do have to deal with it now and it's been an issue for a # of years

i anticipate by the time they get the work west of the loop completed we'll probably be backing up earlier and freeing up later due to new building along the 101 and NW valley

the improvement that i think could help the most is the proposed extension of the s. moutain freeway which would serve as a phoenix bypass for a lot of the commercial traffic that really helps clog everything up

i am pumped about the widening though - it will help and i'm thankful that the city leaders did what needed to be done to push up that original timeline - they weren't planning even starting the construction until 2-4 years from now

Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
when is it going to be done though? it looks like they are moving pretty quickly on it, but i don't think it will be complete for another couple years - until then it's just worse with construction looky loos........

i do concede that there is a lack of capacity and that they are fixing it - but that doesn't change the fact that you do have to deal with it now and it's been an issue for a # of years

i anticipate by the time they get the work west of the loop completed we'll probably be backing up earlier and freeing up later due to new building along the 101 and NW valley

the improvement that i think could help the most is the proposed extension of the s. moutain freeway which would serve as a phoenix bypass for a lot of the commercial traffic that really helps clog everything up

i am pumped about the widening though - it will help and i'm thankful that the city leaders did what needed to be done to push up that original timeline - they weren't planning even starting the construction until 2-4 years from now
It is to be completed (landscaped and all) in early 2010. We'll see some of the benefits before then (like the new underpasses and exits).

It's not so bleak for those of us out in Estrella as we have a lot of options for hopping on the freeway down past the construction area.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM

does cotton connect up to estrella yet?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
does cotton connect up to estrella yet?
No. Supposed to be this fall. I'm looking forward to that especially if the shopping planned on Cotton ever goes in.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:29 AM

it's getting there - super target will be open in october - that area looks so much different

Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
I've been out to LP MANY times after work and it takes about 45 minutes...at most. Yes is slows here and there but there is no dead stop for minutes at a time, at even after the 101 when the freeways bottlenecks from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 lanes. Traffic still flows and there is no comparison to other cities in terms of parking lot type traffic. Sorry buddy, but traffic here is not bad compared to other metros. Worse than Des Moines or Toledo or Oklahoma City? Sure, but not to any metro area comparable to Phoenix, bottomline. Not to mention the average commute in Phoenix is 26 minutes...much better than other cities.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM

philly is no worse and it's about the same size metro

and when you go to LP is it leaving at 5 or is after work 6, 7 or 8pm?

i can leave at 6 and be home by 7 - but i can't leave at 5 and be home by 6 -youknowwhatimsayin?! (in best shawn marion voice)

i do this drive over 200 times a year .............. pushing a 1000 times in my life - i think i have it down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area