Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 AM
CG4

20 posts, read 70,227 times

Advertisements

Scourt...once pest control starts coming on a regular basis, chances are that you won't see too many bugs after that. We had a bunch for our first 4-6 weeks in our house and now they're pretty much all gone/dead/hiding. (I moved from WA as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM

18 posts, read 42,400 times
Default Estrella scorpions

I sell homes in the new Montecito section for David Weekley Homes (I know I'm biased, but I truly believe we have the nicest new homes going up in here), and what I've noticed is that the homes that back to our open space and mountain seem to get some scorpions (but not as many as I thought they might), but homes towards the interior of the community don't seem to have as big of a problem. So, I think much of it depends on what's around you. If you'd like any more info about Estrella, I'd be happy to help (deagan2@cox.net). Good luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 AM

25 posts, read 188,036 times
Default thank you all

Thank you all for the concern of the scorpion problem that I am having, I really appriciate it. We have changed pest control companys, to a new one that comes out and black lights the property, We are getting the house sealed. So hopefully this will cut down the amount coming into the home. We did buy a house which fronts a desert (across the street) and is next to a wash, so that could be the problem too. Hopefully we will get this under control. BUT I still LOVE Arizona even the heat!!! This house is only 3 yrs old so could be part of the problem too. Hey steveo tell me the difference between a sand scorpion and a bark scorpion???? Neighbors say the scorpions that I am finding are sand, but pest control says bark?? What is the difference?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,523 times
I was in Estrella 2 years ago and liked it. However, no retail nearby. What kind of retail is going in 5-10 minutes away at cotton lane/yuma? Is it really 5-10 minutes away?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
yeah - they are going to extend cotton up into estrella ....... can't remember all the stores off hand, but super target is probably the most anticipated, also a petsmart, carwash and slew of other tenants ......... should also help when they build up the ballpark village at yuma & estrella

they're also adding in some retail further S on estrella closer to MC 85

Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgmcse View Post
I was in Estrella 2 years ago and liked it. However, no retail nearby. What kind of retail is going in 5-10 minutes away at cotton lane/yuma? Is it really 5-10 minutes away?
There is also going to be retail right in Estrella. Under construction right now is a commercial corner with a Bashas, Walgreens, Chase Bank, a hardware of some sort and plenty of room for other shops. They have also announced plans for two other shopping areas for professional services and "upscale" restaurants. There is one that they have not announced yet as well. This is all with quite a bit of controversy as many people moved here to get away from that kind of stuff and now it is coming. I'm mixed on it. It will be nice to rarely have to leave here for day to day needs, but I will miss the isolation and being "different" from the rest of the Metro.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 PM

267 posts, read 898,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevyp View Post
Well, something keeps drawing me to the area. I went down to look at a few houses again last night. Did it right from work at rush hour and while there was definate stop and go, I was suprised to get to the first house in 45 min (shocked actually).

Right now I'm just torn between finding a nice fully estabilished community in Gilbert / mesa / peoria or rolling the dice with something like Estrella or even Veraddo (I love the look there, but beyond that it's truely in the middle of nowhere).

Thanks you all for your input, and Scourt, I do wish you the best on the Scorps. I did ask owners and they all said...YUP, they're here, but it seems in the Northern older part they're not as bad. Trouble seems to come in the Southern areas with the new construction from what I'm being told. Actually saw some when looking at the properties.
You'll always see the most scorpion activity in an area where there is new construction. They are a little creepy at first, but most places you aren't completely overrun by them. There is the option of sealing a home once you buy it too, which can drastically cut down on them. It's usually less than $1000 dollars depending on the size of the house. We did several 1600 square foot condos for about $400 each.

Estrella is a nice part of town. You are a little out of the way, and you have to kind of work at figuring out you're schedule - so you aren't "driving down the mountain" because you ran out of milk - but the community feel is not just hype - it really is out there.

There are some more retail developments that are moving in a little closer. There is a Basha's out in Verrado, and a Fry's out on Watson Road. When Estrella Mountain Ranch first went up back in 92 (91, maybe?) you had to drive all the way back into Avondale for anything! Avondale is a lot bigger now, and Buckeye is closing in fast from the other side

The commute isn't always 45 minutes, but it can be on a good day. Peoria is nice too, but if you're looking for an out of the way feel, Estrella is a great choice for the West side of town.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
You wouldn't need to go to buckeye for anything if you lived in Estrella ...... you'd pass most of the same stuff just getting to the highway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area