Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM

9 posts, read 38,113 times

Advertisements

I need answers quickly. I'm moving to an area in Surprise. We found a house to rent and the realtor, of course, is saying that it is safe. The house is located on Waddell and Thunderbird. Can anyone advice, or if anyone lives near there, can you please tell me how the area is. I'm not concerned with crimes like theft and burglary. More like gang violence, drive by, random shootings, rapes, murders, crackhead, etc.

THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
You will be happy to be in Surprise if you are concerned with crime. As far as we can tell its a safe place. My parents have lived there since 2003 and have no problems. We are new and have only visited before this year but have not had any problems in the city. In 2007 Surprise was listed as Arizona's safest city. I haven't seen any results for 2008 so Can not tell you how the city is doing now. You can look up Phoenix area crime statistics to find out. The last time I did that Surprise had very minor indisretions, meaning no rape, armed robbery, violent crimes, rapes, or anything that I was worried about. Other communities did have these things though, but not near Surprise.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,238,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoazsoon View Post
I need answers quickly. I'm moving to an area in Surprise. We found a house to rent and the realtor, of course, is saying that it is safe. The house is located on Waddell and Thunderbird. Can anyone advice, or if anyone lives near there, can you please tell me how the area is. I'm not concerned with crimes like theft and burglary. More like gang violence, drive by, random shootings, rapes, murders, crackhead, etc.

THANK YOU

For the love of Pete, don't let a realtor pressure you for anything!! If you are not ready to make/accept an offer or sign a lease, DON'T DO IT! If you need more time, tell them so. If they won't let up, fire them and find a new one.

The area you mention is a pretty nice safe area. But make your own mind up. Good luck to you.

(Can you tell I have issues with realtors?)

Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
I agree with dookieboy - you should never feel pressured by your real estate agent. Since I don't live in the Phoenix area, I can't tell you about Surprise, but you might want to do some research online.

Here in AZ, our contracts allow for a 10-day (minimum) inspection period to allow time for you to have a home inspection and also to allow time for you to investigate the neighborhood (I'd also suggest looking up data on registered sex offenders in the area, too). If you discover anything during your inspection period that you don't like, you can cancel the contract. Your agent should give you a "Buyers Advisory" which is a list of various agencies/websites (such as ones about crime, etc) that you can go to look up info about your new neighborhood. Why don't you ask for that Advisory now so that you can do some investigation on your own (instead of relying on people's opinions).

Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM

64 posts, read 216,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Here in AZ, our contracts allow for a 10-day (minimum) inspection period to allow time for you to have a home inspection and also to allow time for you to investigate the neighborhood (I'd also suggest looking up data on registered sex offenders in the area, too). If you discover anything during your inspection period that you don't like, you can cancel the contract. Your agent should give you a "Buyers Advisory" which is a list of various agencies/websites (such as ones about crime, etc) that you can go to look up info about your new neighborhood. Why don't you ask for that Advisory now so that you can do some investigation on your own (instead of relying on people's opinions).
I believe she is renting, not buying?

If you have a good reason not to trust your Realtor, shop around. You will be bound to find one you like. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM

132 posts, read 592,838 times
I agree with everyone. Realtors work for you and u shouldn't be pressured. my husband is a realtor and he understands that he works for his client not the other way around. pushy realtors need to be replaced

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Tell your realtor to chill or they won't be your realtor anymore. They are so easily replaceable it's not even funny.

Your area should be fine. I like the areas that are more north (around Bell) myself. The more south you get the closer you get to El Mirage, which is less desirable.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
For the love of Pete, don't let a realtor pressure you for anything!! If you are not ready to make/accept an offer or sign a lease, DON'T DO IT! If you need more time, tell them so. If they won't let up, fire them and find a new one.

The area you mention is a pretty nice safe area. But make your own mind up. Good luck to you.

(Can you tell I have issues with realtors?)
I agree 100%, Dookieboy . . . I'm fairly easy to deal with but it took three agents before buying this place.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM

64 posts, read 216,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoazsoon View Post
We found a house to rent and the realtor, of course, is saying that it is safe.
One thing I'm not understanding is, how is your Realtor pressuring you into renting something? Is s/he saying you need to decide soon or it will be too late? Is there something special about the house you're looking at that might attract other renters to it, so you could miss out?

If not, I don't understand why a Realtor would pressure you to rent a home...What difference does it make to her which place you rent...unless she is only able to show you that one? I don't know much about working with a Realtor on rentals so I apologise if this is a stupid question...

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 PM

477 posts, read 1,582,967 times
Thunderbird and Waddell......you are way out there! I wouldn't be too concerned about crime. I mean, crime happens everywhere but that particular area is NOT considered a crime ridden area....far from it actually. I know there are websites that you can use to look up crime stats by zipcode...unfortunately, Im not sure where they are. Try calling the locan police department and ask them. But, as far as Im concerned, it's a good area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area