U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,394,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Regardless, Joe is a joke and a world-wide laughing stock. When I was living in Phoenix I traveled to the UK and when they heard I was from AZ all they could talk about was Joe; he has done a lot of interviews with the BBC promoting himself as "America's Toughest Sheriff" - big shocker.
This is too funny! I don't know anything about his doings. As a matter of fact, I had never heard of him before I saw a whole-page article about him in a newspaper in my small home country in Europe when I was last there! The guy really must love media attention! It beats me why anybody abroad would wanna know about Phoenix's sheriff... but they do. Then again, that's not the first American news I get the same way and won't be the last.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 PM

181 posts, read 744,255 times
I'm not a big sheriff Joe fan. I think his tactics are gimmicks more than anything else. What I do like about him is his stance on animal cruelty. Abuse an animal, go to jail in cuffs. I'm also really happy about his office looking into the officer Lovejoy from Chandler incident. The Chandler PD were going to sweep that under a rug.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Irwin doesn't live in Phoenix.

I'm with the majority here who say that we need more Sherrif Joe Arpaios throughout the United States, not the ones who don't have any guts, and worry about being criticized by groups like ACLU, who care more about the rights of criminals than victims.
When the day comes and more and more centralized power is within the government's right to do whatever it feels is necessary to provide the USA with "security", you'll want to have the ACLU around. Crime is crime, but it's important to remember that criminals and everyone else besides yourself still deserve to have rights and liberties that are the foundations behind our current republic. I applaud the ACLU, it's good to see a group doing something to fight the slow drain on our rights.

I'm exactly sure any of you realize this, but anyone regardless of citizenship in this country or another, still has rights protected by our constitution. I'm proud of that fact. A lot of the postings on this site are very angry and promote crusades against illegals aliens. But a lot of you miss the point that these people infuse a LOT of money into our economy by providing cheap labor and taxes. Yes, I said taxes, somehow everyone forgets about such as sales tax, a major boon to our city, state, and federal government.

I think a lot of what is really being said is really just plain racism, not genuine concern of our market economy by protecting jobs for US citizens. If that was the really the case, you would be up in arms overs the trade imbalance with China.

I'm sure someone is going to throw out the crime card though about "illegal immigrants." Almost all societies with high levels of crime are correlated with low levels of education. Does anyone ever think about this when bills being passed or proposed to limit education to illegal immigrants? Education leads to knowledge, growth, and entrepreneurship which is good for our economy.

The reality is, people come here to get ahead. These people are far more determined than most and I want people like that around Phoenix.

I'm sorry to rant, I just get riled up when I see someone making a negative comment about a group that fights for the rights of everyone. Even the rights of people you may not like.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:43 AM

11 posts, read 21,635 times
Default Ref: Jubelt

I read of Sheriff Joe's hardcore stance. I applaud him for it.

I have not read where he is violating anyone's civil rights or constitutional rights. If you have information on that, then I would be happy to read it.

Sheriff Joe is doing what most law enforcement personnel want to do. Some can't because their constituents are too touchy-feeling (until they are victims of a crime anyway). Some won't because they don't want to make waves in their community.

Our constitutional rights and civil rights should aways be protected. There is never any question of that.

Sheriff Joe is obligated to feed, clothe, shelter, exercise, and entertain (to a point) the criminals he is responsible for. No where in our laws is it mandated how he accomplishes this goal.

The fact that he saves Zona money with his efforts is a benefit. The real bonus is that the recicidivism rate is so low. National studies show that that 1/2 to 2/3 of criminals are repeat offenders.

Perhaps because most jails/prison are too comfortable and it's no longer a hardship (sometimes a relief) to be incarcerated?

I pray that you or your family are never the victims of a violent crime and have to deal with someone who cares more about the "criminals have rights too" while you try to put your life back together and deal with the trauma.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,012,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubeit View Post
When the day comes and more and more centralized power is within the government's right to do whatever it feels is necessary to provide the USA with "security", you'll want to have the ACLU around. Crime is crime, but it's important to remember that criminals and everyone else besides yourself still deserve to have rights and liberties that are the foundations behind our current republic. I applaud the ACLU, it's good to see a group doing something to fight the slow drain on our rights.

I'm exactly sure any of you realize this, but anyone regardless of citizenship in this country or another, still has rights protected by our constitution. I'm proud of that fact. A lot of the postings on this site are very angry and promote crusades against illegals aliens. But a lot of you miss the point that these people infuse a LOT of money into our economy by providing cheap labor and taxes. Yes, I said taxes, somehow everyone forgets about such as sales tax, a major boon to our city, state, and federal government.

I think a lot of what is really being said is really just plain racism, not genuine concern of our market economy by protecting jobs for US citizens. If that was the really the case, you would be up in arms overs the trade imbalance with China.

I'm sure someone is going to throw out the crime card though about "illegal immigrants." Almost all societies with high levels of crime are correlated with low levels of education. Does anyone ever think about this when bills being passed or proposed to limit education to illegal immigrants? Education leads to knowledge, growth, and entrepreneurship which is good for our economy.

The reality is, people come here to get ahead. These people are far more determined than most and I want people like that around Phoenix.

I'm sorry to rant, I just get riled up when I see someone making a negative comment about a group that fights for the rights of everyone. Even the rights of people you may not like.
Racism?

Let me state that if a bunch of tall, white skinned blondes were here illegally, jabbering in a language that I could not understand; I would be peeved to say the least.

Note that I am tall with strawberry blond hair and porcelain white skin and if most of our US citizens were of Native American stock with surnames like Rodriguez, etc. but spoke English-------I would definitely associate with them vs. the hypothetical Nordic group of illegals.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 23,919,198 times
Joe Arpaio is not violating anyone's constitutional rights.

His deputies are now becoming sworn federal officers so that, in addition to their other duties, they can now arrest those in this country illegally. His "hotline" has resulted in the discovery of a number of drop houses where illegals were being held in inhumane conditions by human smugglers and, in one recent case, the hotline was also responsible for the Sheriff discovering a murder.

The inmates in the Maricopa County jail are not inhumanly treated - do they get "luxury"? No - nor should they.

BTW - more sheriffs around the country are starting to model their departments to Arpaios - chain gangs, pink underware and all.

Go Sheriff Joe

Old 09-02-2007, 12:40 PM

2,805 posts, read 2,442,553 times
I hate to think what Maricopa County
would become without Sheriff Joe

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

Old 09-02-2007, 03:50 PM

57 posts, read 106,365 times
I agree too, I like Joe also. It is a crime to enter another country illegally, our borders need to be protected. A terrorist attack could easily be made on our borders since we allow people to just walk in. United States can't feed the world we have enough hungry and homeless people here.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:41 PM

12,542 posts, read 11,736,453 times
Quote:
His tactics are not working. An intelligent person would begin to question the effectiveness of such tactics and consider that maybe one should take another tact. Instead, people in Phoenix cheer the guy on. Kill another guy Sheriff Joe!

Gives you a sense of the type of people who live in Phoenix.
How about the the plain ole difference of opinion.
Hey, I think he is doing a GREAT thing. Yahoo Sheriff Joe!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,919,198 times
Quote:
His tactics are not working.
You are, obviously, incorrect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area