Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Eddy View Post
ILLEGALS: NOT HIS JOB.
We already pay tons on taxes so the Federal gov is to take care of that.
Why should we pay again with our state money to do a poor job on an important issue with the only objective to glorify a sheriff?
Isntead, call your Senator and kick his behind for failing to move the immigration bill forward and say either go back working on it now or loose the next election.
Interesting theory, Eddy

However, ALL laws should be enforced by ALL Law Enforcement Agencies. Picking and choosing which laws are worthy of their time and energy is nothing but BS and a COP-OUT. In fact, it is nothing but AIDING AND ABETTING A CRIMINAL for any agency to refuse the enforcement of our immigration laws.

Sheriff Joe is a valuable asset to Maricopa County and we need more like him.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:08 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting theory, Eddy

However, ALL laws should be enforced by ALL Law Enforcement Agencies. Picking and choosing which laws are worthy of their time and energy is nothing but BS and a COP-OUT. In fact, it is nothing but AIDING AND ABETTING A CRIMINAL for any agency to refuse the enforcement of our immigration laws.

Sheriff Joe is a valuable asset to Maricopa County and we need more like him.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH!
Bummer your right about ALL laws being enforced by all law agencies.
However it is the Federal Goverment who should have been stopping illegal entry into this country in the first place.
Sheriff Joe hasn't saved this county any money at all,in fact he has cost
more money in paid lawsuits than any other sheriff in the country.
He also says it isn't racial profiling to ask for immigration status ,but
I'll bet money it won't be white people asked to prove their citizenship.
Sheriff Joe is emotionally maladjusted to say the least & the people who
love what he does are complicite & fascist sympathizers.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
You are wrong about all laws being enforced by all types of law enforcement agencies. I was in law enforcement for 25 years and each type of enforcement agency has specific work to do and there are reasons for it. For an example, when being drunk in public was decriminalized the person could no longer be charged with a crime and locked up. They have to be transported to a detox center. This means that if a detox center is an hour away two officers have to take the person there which leaves the department two officers short for two hours. Sometimes this puts the department in such a bind that a decision has to be made whether two off-duty officers should be awakened at 2 AM and ordered in. When I worked, if a female was picked up that either broke the law or was wanted on a warrant, that person would have to be transported to a female lock-up that was 1-1/2 hours away (one way). We couldn't leave the department short two people for all that time. If no female officer was working that shift, one had to be called in. That means a lot of overtime money was used. The taxpayers never want to pay the police enough, they always want the police budget to be cut short. Everyone grumbles when taxes goes up. When I worked the city we had all we could handle and there is no way that we could have taken on more enforcement like arresting illegals, etc. What sounds good on paper doesn't work in the real world, I know because I worked it in the capacity of a shift Sergeant for 25 years. You really have to work the job to fully understand it. In this day and age the police are buried in paperwork and burdened by crime and confined by a budget. It would be great if the public would allow enough people to be hired to handle everything, but this is just not the case.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Azloafer, you are right! We expect so much from our police officers and our teachers, yet nobody wants to pay for their expectations! People need to be more educated about the taxes they pay), vote for where they go. 1/2 the people don't even realize that taxes equate income for our most important jobs. We gladly use up the services, and want to control how they do their job but we won't pay for it! I have talked to people who want their kids teachers to be responsible for everything and anything with their children (most of which is the parents job anyway), but hate to pay their taxes and complain about it in the same breath! No wonder we have a lack of teachers and police officers. Good people who would like to enter both these professions can't because they won't make enough money to support their family. How sad! We will pay all this money to load up our houses with expensive crap then expect a police officer to protect it all for peanuts! Our priorities suck! Especially out west, in the Northeast officers and teachers get paid a lot more than AZ. But, what's funny is people complain about those taxes constantly. On the MA forum they refer to their state as taxachsetts. It's to bad we have created such a spoiled America. We expect the most out of people we pay so little. If Sherif Joe would have gone on t.v. requesting higher wages for people in law enforcement instead of telling everyone he was going to save the people tax money on pink undies and green bologna, I would have more respect for the man. He's just trying to get re-elected. And a posse?, while cheaper than an officer, not nearly as good and a little scary. He works for old rich people, not officers. We may like the "idea" of cheap, funny and mean, but respect no, and he has taken the respect down for the whole system out here, even the officers. It's sad. It's sad that it works out here in AZ. He'd a bin kicked to the curb in Mass!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 AM

I can't comment on Sheriff Joe because I have never met the man and I don't know enough about him. The newpaper, from my experience, can make or break a person. When I worked, there were occasions where I would read a story about a police arrest and not even know it was about me until I saw my name in the story. The story was so changed that I didn't it recognize it. This happens all the time. By the way, I was a sergeant back in Wisconsin. I didn't mean to imply that I worked here in Arizona. I retired here to get away from the harsh winters. I was injured in a riot and had to retire. I have had three back surgeries as a result. The third one failed and because of all the metal fixtures in my back I cannot have any more. Thanks for your post, I appreciate the kind words.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
AZ LOAFER I stand corrected about officers doing any job that comes before them,you are absolutly right & I should have realized that before I posted my reply. I was married to a police officer for 19 yrs. in Philadelphia,Pa before he was shot & killed.
I can talk about Sheriff Joe however & the truth is he is not really after law breakers,just CERTAIN lawbreakers.
He is Barney Fife with more guns & a bad temper.
The man is a fascist,a publicity hound,& as I said before mentally unstable.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:41 PM

SINDEY,
I am sorry to hear about your husband's death. I don't know Sheriff Joe so I remain neutral regarding him. I do know that the news media tends to fill in facts that they don't know. They need a story, no matter what.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:39 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
SINDEY,
I am sorry to hear about your husband's death. I don't know Sheriff Joe so I remain neutral regarding him. I do know that the news media tends to fill in facts that they don't know. They need a story, no matter what.
Live here long enough and you'll get to know him, he makes speeches on T.V. quite a bit. The media does skew things, he does do 1/2 of it himself though. He gave a big speech for us all about the underwear. People do confuse the police officer with Sheriff Joe though, laugh and make comments about catching the guy and putting pink undies on him. Meanwhile the cop is pursuing a dangerous guy selling drugs, putting him through a chase when it's a 115 out and the pavement gives you 3rd degree burns. When I saw this my first thought was, god, can't you take this seriously. I just wonder if the police officers like him here or not? If there's any out there let me know.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:34 PM

50 posts, read 291,129 times
Uhhh ... don't break the law and you don't have to worry about Ole Joe.

Break the law and I personally don't care what Ole Joe does to you.

I would also recommend Ole Joe to be put in charge in charge of Border Control.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM

458 posts, read 776,551 times
I spend a year living in the Valley and it seemed like everyone had a very strong opinion about him.

Law abiding citizens that I knew thought he was great.

Those with a shady background or who spent some time at the county jail hated him.

I think he does a great job. He is tough, puts the criminals in their place and uses precious public money wisely.

About the only knock on him IMHO is that he seems to like the limelight maybe a bit too much.

Its too bad he is not a few years younger or he would be the perfect Governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area