Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Daddy View Post
Going east of Payson up to the Mogollan Rim country isn't very crowded nowadays with the kids in school. Very pretty views at the top of the Rim if you head to Woods Canyon Lake which happens to be the most paved/developed park there with a little marketplace for supplies and a boat rental. There are paved and unpaved trails and deer/elk are not uncommon sights within the developed areas of the park.

I was there this weekend and it was very comfortable and we managed to avoid getting any rain. You would want to bring an extra set of long-sleeve clothing, it feels cold to many Phoenix residents.

For someone unfamiliar with high country, Woods Canyon is a good starter site. Then you can gauge how rugged you want your experience to be, hehe. Nothing ruins people's high country experiences/expectations than getting into something far outside your comfort zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Excellent advice! I agree with you. For me, getting away from people is a major goal, but Woods Canyon, Christopher Creek, etc. is a better choice for first timers to get a taste of the Rim.
I agree, but we drive past Woods Canyon (too many people) a few miles to our campsite. Not far past the lake on FR300 there are view points and trails. My wife and I were married at one of them BTW. There is so much to see up there. You might also want to hang a right off SR260 at the Woods Canyon turn off. Some of the same beautiful views of the Rim, but occasionally less people on that side of the highway.

View from one of our campsites;
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3940.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	25229
Autumn on the Rim (a short walk down the road from the other photo, taken in early October);
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 02:15 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
I agree with another poster - Payson is not "high" country. I remember last summer hearing that temps up there have gone up to 100 degrees some days. I like the Apache area (White River, McNary, Vernon). Many years ago i camped overnight with some friends and we mountain biked several trails there. The apaches had (or have) an excellant trail system that is well-marked. When it's 105 in the Valley, it's in the 70s up there. We were camping above 7200 feet. Make sure your tent is waterproof, as monsoon rains happen up there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcater View Post
I'd like to do a day trip on Saturday and drive up to the mountains, but I have no idea where to go or what to see... we live in Gilbert, so I'm thinking we'll just drive up Beeline to Payson (or further), but can you give me some ideas of where specifically to head? We'll have our 2 year old with us.

Any suggestions on a great place to eat would be helpful also.. thanks!!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
A must is Fossil Creek Springs and Falls located near Strawberry, AZ. You can take the 87 through Payson, Pine, and Strawberry to Fossil Creek Road and off road it a bit to the trail head. The hike down and up are not easy but well worth it! Here are some pics:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/deysi_urg/102_1152.jpg (broken link)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/deysi_urg/102_1151.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-18-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area