Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 AM

369 posts, read 2,165,359 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My girlfriend and I moved to Arizona, from Massachusetts about 6 months ago. Both of us were born and raised in Massachusetts. We both loved Boston, and liked a lot about Massachusetts.

We decided to move to Arizona because of the things we didn't like about MA. Astronomical cost of living, Rainy Springs, miserable winters, etc. We moved to Arizona for many reason. The climate, the cost of living, work (i'm an electrician.. Tons of work out here for me. Back home a lot of electricians are out of work), it's proximity to Vegas, LA, San Diego, etc... Plus I really liked how diverse Arizona is. We have everything here except the ocean... and the ocean is only a few hours away anyways!

Well anyways.. for the past 6 months, we haven't really taken advantage of anything Arizona has to offer! It cost us a lot of money moving all of our things out here.. We are finally back on our feet again...

Since we've been here, our lives have consisted of working, and saving our money. We haven't really done much of anything. I think the problem is, it's hard making plans when you literally have no idea where anything is. Also, it kinda sucks that we haven't made any friends yet..

We are 23, and 21.. We've been in Queen Creek since we've been here. Which is another obstacle.. There isn't much going on out here. Anyways, My GF hates this place... And I don't blame her.. So far it hasn't been fun.. But then again, she hasn't even saw the real Arizona.

I need some advice on things to do around here.. Where do people our age usually go out to mingle?

What do people do around here for fun?

What's the nicest part of AZ?? This whole place isn't a desert.. I know we could go up north for a day.... what are your suggestions?

What could I possibly do to have Arizona win her over??

We've got so caught up in our daily grind, we've lost touch of what we actually came out here for.. (more time outside, less time in front of the TV/computer)

I'll appreciate any and all suggestions.. I'm looking for just about anything, state wide.. Thank you very much!

-Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Sedona, Flagstaff, Tombstone, Old Town Scottsdale and Tempe (for your age group and nightlife), Mogollon Rim, Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Page, Lake Saguaro, Lake Pleasant, Mt. Lemon, AZ Snow Bowl (in winter), Wickenburg, Prescott, shopping at El Pedregal/Scottsdale Fashion Square/etc, Lake Havasu (during Spring Break--if you like it wild), Desert Botanical Garden, Heard Museum, etc.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:59 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
what are things that you two enjoy doing?

when my gf (now my wife) and I moved out we went through a lot of the same - it was summer and hot, i didn't have a job so I was working temp jobs, the move was costly, basically working and then using coupons to go out every once and again

we were living in a more lively area than QC, though

from QC you'll probably have to drive a little - but probably not a whole lot

what kind of things do you enjoy that don't cost much? if you had some cash to burn what type of stuff would you normally do?

I would 100% say make a trip up into the pines - if only for a day it's great

Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 PM

70 posts, read 244,581 times
I can tell you a general thing I did when I moved to California that should apply in Phoenix as well. I picked up all kinds of information about the area, as much as possible. I'd pick up all the free magazines, flyers, etc about different places and kept two baskets full of them. From shopping areas, hotels, tourist booths, you can find a lot of this type of information. Within a few months the people we know here were asking us for ideas. We've seen more things than most people we know who have lived here their entire lives.

For Phoenix, I'd recommend doing the same (and I plan to again when I hopefully get to move there in a year). Before my recent trip, I went on Amazon and picked up a few books for ideas. From it I found some great ideas, including a cool place in North Scottsdale called Greasewood Flat, and the Desert Botanical Gardens.

Here are some magazines that might help:
Where
AZ Weekly
Arizona Highways
Sunset (get a subscription for about $12 if you look about)
Insiders' Guide to Phoenix (pick it up cheap second-hand on Amazon)
Frommer's Arizona 2007 (pick it up cheap second-hand on Amazon)
Get Out AZ
The Rep
The New Times

And remember to check out information booths in tourist areas and hotels.

Hope that helps

Old 08-14-2008, 12:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
that's also a great suggestion

let me also throw in phoenix magazine - a yr subscription is like $12, but there is a lot of good info in there from doctors, to restaurants, day trips, activities, etc

Old 08-14-2008, 12:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Exclamation Wowsers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Hello!

My girlfriend and I moved to Arizona, from Massachusetts about 6 months ago. Both of us were born and raised in Massachusetts. We both loved Boston, and liked a lot about Massachusetts.

We decided to move to Arizona because of the things we didn't like about MA. Astronomical cost of living, Rainy Springs, miserable winters, etc. We moved to Arizona for many reason. The climate, the cost of living, work (i'm an electrician.. Tons of work out here for me. Back home a lot of electricians are out of work), it's proximity to Vegas, LA, San Diego, etc... Plus I really liked how diverse Arizona is. We have everything here except the ocean... and the ocean is only a few hours away anyways!

Well anyways.. for the past 6 months, we haven't really taken advantage of anything Arizona has to offer! It cost us a lot of money moving all of our things out here.. We are finally back on our feet again...

Since we've been here, our lives have consisted of working, and saving our money. We haven't really done much of anything. I think the problem is, it's hard making plans when you literally have no idea where anything is. Also, it kinda sucks that we haven't made any friends yet..

We are 23, and 21.. We've been in Queen Creek since we've been here. Which is another obstacle.. There isn't much going on out here. Anyways, My GF hates this place... And I don't blame her.. So far it hasn't been fun.. But then again, she hasn't even saw the real Arizona.

I need some advice on things to do around here.. Where do people our age usually go out to mingle?

What do people do around here for fun?

What's the nicest part of AZ?? This whole place isn't a desert.. I know we could go up north for a day.... what are your suggestions?

What could I possibly do to have Arizona win her over??

We've got so caught up in our daily grind, we've lost touch of what we actually came out here for.. (more time outside, less time in front of the TV/computer)

I'll appreciate any and all suggestions.. I'm looking for just about anything, state wide.. Thank you very much!

-Bob

Now THERE's a guy who's truly trying to make it work - instead of complaining about how awful Arizona is!

Major points to you, sir. I commend you for your effort. Now let's work on the better half!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM

26 posts, read 65,411 times
If you can splurge a little bit take her Sedona for a weekend. It is AMAZING!! A little pricey cause it is a huge tourist area but not a long drive and the scenery is breath taking. The first three years we went to AZ for vacation in March we made a point of staying there at least one night. We stayed at the Southwest Inn which I would also recommend.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
Your mistake was moving to Queen Creek. Should of moved to Tempe, east Phoenix, or Scottsdale, that's where the action is.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:16 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker Fan View Post
If you can splurge a little bit take her Sedona for a weekend. It is AMAZING!! A little pricey cause it is a huge tourist area but not a long drive and the scenery is breath taking. The first three years we went to AZ for vacation in March we made a point of staying there at least one night. We stayed at the Southwest Inn which I would also recommend.
It's not that pricey. I took my girl there for a weekend, I spent about $300, including hotel, gas, dinners, etc.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 PM

26 posts, read 65,411 times
I would assume prices in Sedona, like Phoenix, depend on the time of year? We were always there in March - prime tourist season. If you were to go in the summer you may be able to get better hotel prices. I agree $300 for a weekend is pretty good but it might still be "pricey" for somebody just getting their financial legs back underneath them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area