Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,493,309 times

Advertisements

I moved to Houston (Spring, actually) in 2005 because of a job. That didn't work out for us. It's a different culture, and to this day I can't get over how much racism exists in that place. I was so happy when, one year later, there was a job offer in Arizona. As one poster said, the grass is greener in Houston, but what he failed to mention was the septic leak that's causing the grass to be so green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 PM

182 posts, read 348,908 times
Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the United States. Racism? Arizona isn't exactly friendly to the Hispanic population. Really, not a fair statement at all.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDA View Post
Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the United States. Racism? Arizona isn't exactly friendly to the Hispanic population. Really, not a fair statement at all.
I'm in a mixed race hispanic family and I stand by my statement two posts above.
Sometimes people confuse those that are "anti-illegal immigration" as being "anti-hispanic", which for 99%+ of people could not be further from the truth. In fact, most legal hispanics are against illegal immigration.
In Houston racism is embedded into the daily lives of the folks there. It's as if they had no idea what words were actually coming out of their mouths. My friends were mostly white (over 50%, anyway) and my wife's were mostly black (again, over 50%, anyway) and it came from all sides.
I think it's that "southern culture"....
I could not get away from there fast enough.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM

44 posts, read 122,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Well, I have lived in Houston for 10 years, Seattle for 10 years, Hawaii 1 years, Groton Ct. for 2 years, Albuquerque for 10 years and Scottsdale for 10 years.

Out of all the places I liked the best, it was Seattle. Even though it rains all of the time, their is so much stuff you can do there. You name it....it's there.

Houston! On a scale from 1 to 10...yeah, it's a 4.
what did you do in Seattle? It is boring as hell here. Especially during the winter/spring/fall and most of summer. Maybe being born and raised here has taken the thrill out of it. haha! doubt there was a thrill. the weather stinks and everything we do outside, we are cold and/or wet. My son comes home from school soaking wet from the knees down nearly everyday because of recess. It's always outside unless it's a torrential down pour. And it's expensive.

Houston? no thanks.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,221,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I'm in a mixed race hispanic family and I stand by my statement two posts above.
Sometimes people confuse those that are "anti-illegal immigration" as being "anti-hispanic", which for 99%+ of people could not be further from the truth. In fact, most legal hispanics are against illegal immigration.
In Houston racism is embedded into the daily lives of the folks there. It's as if they had no idea what words were actually coming out of their mouths. My friends were mostly white (over 50%, anyway) and my wife's were mostly black (again, over 50%, anyway) and it came from all sides.
I think it's that "southern culture"....
I could not get away from there fast enough.
What you say is absolutely true. I'm Hispanic and have NEVER met with discrimination in this state. What many don't realize is Hispanic American citizens themselves are critically outspoken of illegals in this state. Another thing people fail to realize is half the U.S. Border Patrol are Hispanic American citizens. I know the media and morons from other states would like to envision that all the Border Patrol are fat old white men like Sherriff Joe who wear wide brimmed hats and discriminate against anyone who is Hispanic. It's just not the reality. Most Border Patrol are young men and women in their 20's with most being of Hispanic origin and even the White Border Patrol are young men who speak Spanish fluently and are anything but good ole boys. It's not racial but political. In the South, their discrimination of minorities is based on race and culture not so much politics.

Houston is a Southern city especially with its proximity to Louisiana. It's true they have a pretty diverse population but in my experience, the White residents there still harbor that good ole boy attitude. People forget that Texas was highly involved in the U.S. Civil War and was a prominent member of the Confederacy and had a slave driven economy albeit not as strong as the Deep Southern States. Texas, unlike Arizona, is also a member of the Bible Belt and thus Right Wing Christian Conservatism is prominent in that city. The world's biggest Baptist Evangelist, Joel Osteen, is from Houston and preaches to a 20,000 crowd in the former Houston Rockets stadium each Sunday. You don't have anything remotely close to that in Phoenix and Arizona. Yes, we like our guns but we have a different form of conservatism than the Southern states. It's no so much racism here as it is libertarian independent (albeit crazy and overzealous libertarian views at times). Arizona doesn't really fit into any category. We have a mixture of views. Just when people try to peg us as being conservative, we vote for medical marijuana laws. And just when we voted for a gay governor and mayor into office, we vote to ban gay marriage.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-29-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM

467 posts, read 1,187,104 times
Default What is Desert Lifestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What the heck is "desert lifestyle"? Seriously, Im curious. Thanks.

Here you go...
You get to see this all the time and 7.5 months out of the year the weather is great. Yes it's hot from June to October 23rd. But after that date...it's pretty good.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yes, we like our guns but we have a different form of conservatism than the Southern states. It's no so much racism here as it is libertarian independent (albeit crazy and overzealous libertarian views at times). Arizona doesn't really fit into any category. We have a mixture of views. Just when people try to peg us as being conservative, we vote for medical marijuana laws. And just when we voted for a gay governor and mayor into office, we vote to ban gay marriage.
The funny thing is Arizonans have always been an independent, we'll-do-it-our-own-way bunch. It is hard to peg us, and it's been that way for over 100 years.
What is most amazing about that is the majority of folks in Arizona came from somewhere else. There are far more first and second generation Arizonans than third generation and beyond. It's like folks come here and truly take on that Arizona spirit.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:25 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,112,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
And what a BAD mistake for me. My wifes kid and grand daughter live here
and she talked me into selling or nice house in Ahwatukee and moving here.
The houses are cheaper BUT the property tax is 3 times what we payed in AZ.
Granted Tx has no state tax and license plate's are cheaper but you have this
crappy yearly inspection sticker that cost 40 bucks a year.
There is nothing to do here except eat out and goto a mall ..thats it.
we are close to 60 and dont care about clubs etc...
Its so humid somedays I cant walk to the mail box and stay inside since May.
Give me 110 and dry heat anyday.
Galveston is a real dump and water looks so bad I would not stick a toe in it.
The traffic is L.A. bad without the nice weather of southern CA.
Even with property values dropping I would stay in AZ if I know what I do know.
The only thing positive is jobs and more jobs....no recession here
and still building like mad. ....100+ oil Im sure helps.
Crime is out of control here too ..everyday 3-4 people are shot in S.W. Houston.
Before you move here I would check it out first and goto the Woodlands
or maybe Kingwood.
Unless you get a high paying job here I would think twice before moving.
Try moving into Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area