U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 20,884,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
So having an older vehicle is cheaper?? 2001 Tahoe would cost about what your Montero costs?? Wouldn't paying a higher property tax be better in the sense you can write the taxes off at the end of the year??
You can write off most of the cost of your plates - it is considered a property tax and is is tax deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM

338 posts, read 995,890 times
I paid $283 for one year renewal and my vehicle is a 2006.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,290,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
I paid $283 for one year renewal and my vehicle is a 2006.
Nice! They not only price by year but by "list price" of the vehicle. So a 2006 Honda Accord will be much less expensive to register than a 2006 BMW 535i.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,782,821 times
I registered my cars in AZ about two mos. after I moved here. Never had a problem with the police. However, I was just looking into getting a hunting license and their website says you're not considered a resident until you've lived here for six mos. (I think that means six mos. from the date of issue of my AZ drivers license!) and thus would have to pay about 4x the fee for a non-resident hunting license. WTF?

I have an AZ drivers license, CCW and four vehicles with AZ tags that I paid plenty to register AND I'm voting in the primary tomorrow and in the general in November. Believe me, I feel like an AZ resident, will be applying for an in-state hunting license and put up a stink if I'm told I can't.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 AM

28,508 posts, read 21,629,733 times
Everything you need to know about AZ license plates is on this site: ServiceArizona

Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 AM

150 posts, read 284,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Everything you need to know about AZ license plates is on this site: ServiceArizona
Wow, thanks for the info!!! I wonder why this site would have more info than the actual AZ DMV!! Hmmm!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM

17,573 posts, read 20,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
Wow, thanks for the info!!! I wonder why this site would have more info than the actual AZ DMV!! Hmmm!
That's a private/public partnership site with DMV and IBM (used to be anyway) to be the focal point for internet customers of drivers licenses and vehicle registrations. So it is really part of the DMV. It is advertised frequently on the TV and most people here know about it. I'd like to see boat and hunting and fishing licenses on there too, but that is a different department.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-02-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 PM

114 posts, read 237,355 times
also... a new law just passed for the new year about license plate covers,....
repost from other forum....
The following is the result of changes to Arizona law effective January 01, 2009

License Plate Holder Law - State law* requires that the state name at the top of Arizona license plates must be visible. Any license plate holder or cover that prevents the license plate from being clearly legible, is in violation of this new law. * A.R.S. 28-2354(B.) Everyone please read carefully! This new law takes effect Jan 1, 2009. Please understand you can have a license plate frame holder as long as it doesn't cover the name Arizona on the top your license plate, if the license plate frame holder covers the name Arizona, you'll receive a $130.00 ticket!

This is your responsibility as privileged Arizona drivers to know new motor vehicle laws - the state doesn't send out mailings. For more info on new motor vehicle laws click on the link below. So if you have a frame holder that covers the name Arizona on your license plate, remove it before Jan 1, 2009 and replace it with one that doesn't cover the name Arizona.Motor Vehicle Division This has been verified.

..... And if you look around you will find 90% of vehicles that have license plate covers will now be illegal. If you have a few cocktails and drive, then remove your license plate frame, because these laws are ONLY enacted to have the right to pull you over which then they can check for DUI, warrants and anything else. The colors alone of the Arizona plate can tell an officer that the plate is indeed Arizona. while driving in the next few days just take note on how many cars license plate frames cover the word Arizona at the top, so again, this is just a means of being in the right to pull someone over. I would be willing to bet not one officer will issue a $130 ticket for this offense.

-end of repost

Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 AM

687 posts, read 1,813,285 times
The fine used to be around $400 for people who didn't register their vehicles in Arizona but resided here. I'd suggest checking into it before running the risk. Government agencies have been known to police their own employee parking lots for expired or out of state tags and have authorities ticket the offenders on site.
BTW...my 2003 PT Cruiser still cost $133 to renew for one year.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,253,447 times
Just registered last month for my 1977 Camaro it was $28 and that included the $10 fee for the historic tags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area