Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times

Advertisements

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra truck. I filled the tank full... and the gas gauge (as I am driving) would go to empty for a while, then jump to full.. then back to empty, etc. A few days later, it is now stuck on full and I know for a fact it isn't full.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or anything I can check on it? I am just wondering if anyone has a clue before having to take it in to a mechanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra truck. I filled the tank full... and the gas gauge (as I am driving) would go to empty for a while, then jump to full.. then back to empty, etc. A few days later, it is now stuck on full and I know for a fact it isn't full.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or anything I can check on it? I am just wondering if anyone has a clue before having to take it in to a mechanic.

You might want to take this question down to the Automotive section in the General Forums. There are a bunch of wrenchheads down there who would give their left... uh... arm... to answer this question for you!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post

There is a recall for this problem. See the info below. Also note that this announcement says the mileage limit is 70,000 but there was a "courtesy" extension made to up to 94,000 miles. I know about this because we have a 2005 GMC Sierra and got a letter in the mail. Good luck with the repair.

GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO CADILLAC, CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS
Subject:Bulletin GMP07-174 - Special Coverage Adjustment #07187- Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle FunctionMessage #:VSU20071575
• DESCRIPTION:
SPECIAL COVERAGE Adjustment #07187- SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT.
o Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.
o This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
o Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #07187 for further information

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: Phase 1 9-28-07

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Instrument panel clusters (IPC) required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from the Electronic Service Centers. Refer to GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 1.5.9, for specific procedures. To eliminate keeping the customer's vehicle overnight, customers are being told to contact the dealership to arrange a service appointment and to supply their VIN. Dealers are to pre-order the IPC identifying the part from the Electronic Parts Catalog using the VIN filter so it will be at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment.
o 1. The customer will contact the dealership to arrange an appointment and provide their VIN.
2. Contact a GM Authorized Electronic Service Center to order an exchange and arrange for delivery of the pre-exchange product.
3. All units will be shipped FedEx Ground.
4. After removal of the defective unit, return the defective core to the Electronic Service Center using the supplied pre-paid Automatic Return shipping (ARS) label.
5. Failure to return the product within 30 days to the Electronic Service Center will result in a charge to the Dealer's Open Parts Account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area