Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:03 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
My current property sat vacant for about 4-5 months. No bugs. I've been in AZ for 2 years now and honestly haven't had the need to set up a costly contract with an exterminating company and I live in the desert among the critters. There is plenty of bugs outside where they belong. Actually, I would be more concerned about the chemicals.
That is so cool you don't have scorps in Maricopa! I was consid. a move out there but then decided against it because I thought every house had scorps.
Do you mind me asking what part of Maricopa you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,279,431 times
We just bought a home that has been sitting for months. We have had several crickets, spiders, etc (I have had MANY bugbites painting and cleaning...). What I did was just buy a big container of bugspray at the store and sprayed the inside and outside of our home. Hopefully it kills off the bugs. That would be my first suggestion to you. If you still are having a bug problem, then I would call an exterminator. My house is in Gilbert though and not Maricopa, so you may have more bugs then I have had. It doesn't hurt to try and DIY though, save some money!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:23 AM

59 posts, read 240,786 times
Our house sat for 4-6 months and it was a jungle on the outside so we have sprayed every month since and that does the trick.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,615 times
I too recently bought a house in Maricopa and it was vacant for at least 4 months. I was pleasantly surprised that we did not have too many bugs inside- just a few little tiny black bugs and a few tiny spiders. There was a dead black widow on the patio. We had the exterminator come out and spray inside and out - the first time they come out it costs around $110 (that's pretty standard) then after that service is around $45 a visit. It is crucial in Arizona to have your house exterminated routinely to keep the creepy crawlies out. How often you do it varies from house to house.

We do have a very bad ant problem so look around the yard for them. I have noticed around the neighborhood there are LOTS of ant hills. We have had the exterminator out 4 times just for the ants and we still have them. There are less of them but they are still there.

As for scorpions, have not seen one yet in the 6 weeks I have lived in Maricopa. Our exterminator told us he has never seen one yet in Maricopa at the houses he has treated. So that's GOOD! Also, I have not seen a snake yet. I'm sure there around though so you just have to be aware of your surroundings. Living in Maricopa is a dream after living in Phoenix where I saw scorpions in my apartment monthly and saw snakes outside just about every day.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 34,767 times
Default least amount of critters??

Is there a city in Arizona that sees little to no scorpions? I have only visited in Apache Junction and never remember seeing any buggers in all my visits. Saw a road runner once.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 34,767 times
Question Gilbert vs Maricop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
We just bought a home that has been sitting for months. We have had several crickets, spiders, etc (I have had MANY bugbites painting and cleaning...). What I did was just buy a big container of bugspray at the store and sprayed the inside and outside of our home. Hopefully it kills off the bugs. That would be my first suggestion to you. If you still are having a bug problem, then I would call an exterminator. My house is in Gilbert though and not Maricopa, so you may have more bugs then I have had. It doesn't hurt to try and DIY though, save some money!
Are you familier with both Gilbert and Maricopa? I would like a comparison of the two cities if you have any comments.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,420,420 times
Call BeeBees pest control. Super reasonable and no contract required. They got rid of my bug problem after two visits. Of course, I got rid of my house being overgrown with creeping fig, which only encouraged roaches. Anyway, google on them and give them a call.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:59 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,425,654 times
Been here 19 years never saw a snake

I've found black widows in the summer outside near the base of any structure (usually in a corner)....if there are any, you can spot them easily at night with a flashlight....the bright red hour glass on their underside stands out against their shiny black body...every time I've seen one, once I got rid of it and destroyed the web, I didn't get another one in the same spot until next summer and then never again.

Lot's of crickets....pesticide works on them

Sometimes sewer roaches make it in the house by coming up the drain pipe. They like damp places so they hide around the base of bushes a lot and come out at night, usually they're alone if you see one. They're not looking for food, they want water. Sometimes they have wings and they can fly but, not well...they kind of use it to jump, like from a wall down to the ground, otherwise they crawl but, really fast and on anything, even the ceiling. If the pesticide didn't keep it away or kill it, once it's in the house they can be real evasive. I've soaked them sometimes in bug spray and they still live but, what stops them instantly is that wasp and hornet spray that shoots 25 feet. They're so fast that really makes it easy and if you get a drop of that stuff on one, it kills it fast even if it manages to hide (30 seconds).

Scorpions...the little ones are the poisonous not the big ones. If you have them, it's usually because you're in a newer development. They follow a migration path so, if you don't have them and then all of a sudden you, it's probably because a house they're building nearby disrupted their path and house is in line with the new path they took. Pesticide doesn't kill them. My nephew lived in Chandler and had this problem. He paid about $5,000 to have the whole house sealed....every crack, crevice, etc. (inside walls and outside walls). They can live 6-12 months without even eating. He still had some and ultimately best thing that worked was a cat. Cats are immune to their poison and they always seem to find them if they're in your house.....just like mice.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:20 AM

509 posts, read 1,688,953 times
i live in Nortthern part of Arizona . i had bad a bug problem . my house was built right amongst juniper trees . the year we had the big forest fire problem i cut several trees down to create a fire break , cleaned ALL shrubbery out away from the house . that alone made my bugs disappear . i have seen one scorpion outside my house . maybe my secret is the fact that i have no grass anywhere near my house . it is all red cinders and rocks . no yard work is the best benefit of that .

Old 11-09-2008, 07:47 AM

930 posts, read 2,415,958 times
Kind of sounds like a troll trying to convince people not to buy foreclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area